User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Yes, there would be a few that I would remove. Needlessly painful memories that have no net positive in my life.

However, I personally wouldn't get rid of memories that involved consequences of past mistakes. In my case, the emotional pain of past mistakes is a strong driving factor to not repeat them. I worry that if I removed that and only kept the base lesson, I would be too inclined to repeat the mistake.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

No, because I'm very distrustful of others, and because painful memories are part of who we are.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    @Z Buck & @Orangey
    I think you're both making unfounded assumptions about the necessity of bad experiences in producing good judgment.

Are the people you know that have suffered the most misfortune the ones with the best judgment?
    Because that has not been my experience at all. Quite the reverse, in fact.
    I never claimed that bad experiences make for better judgment as a rule. My point was that I wouldn't want to assume one way or the other, and therefore would not risk altering my judgment by removing experiences that I felt were bad.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I never claimed that bad experiences make for better judgment as a rule. My point was that I wouldn't want to assume one way or the other, and therefore would not risk altering my judgment by removing experiences that I felt were bad.

I was thinking you could remember you final thoughts on the matter with out remembering the pain it's self. Like remember the point where you finally conjured up the resolve to do something but maybe everything that lead to it??

I think in generally I don't remember things well at all. everything over a year old gets sort of mashed together and fuzzy except when I'm reminded of specific moments. So for me erasing a single point would help me get over things while still retaining the benefits of the vague sense of badness i have about certain time periods .

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wow, I would have to wipe out my entire childhood and early teen years. Not sure that's entirely beneficial.
    I haven't experienced a major disaster, severe trauma or anything like that. Wiping that memory could at least help people move on. Relieving a bad memory is hell, something that could cause PTSD would be paralyzing. Yeah, being a little prone towards it, I could see the benefits. Guide lines would have to be tight.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

There are things called God and counseling and therapy and support group.

Though I am sure PTSD can be sheer hell to live with.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Who needs drugs? Plenty of people get brainwashed without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Not sure. I also don't think I've had anything traumatic enough, yet, to warrant the need to erase the memory. I can visualize so many scenarios/horrors some/many people experience or endure that I could totally see the desire to wipe those, and I probably wouldn't feel bad about doing that. Most especially if they haven't made me stronger. I think that while sure, traumatic experiences can build ones' resilience and perhaps they then have a higher threshold of pain in the future, I find it hard to justify the necessity of enduring that or having that pain-bar set higher.

But yeah, like most, I've had negative experiences in my life, I've had pain and felt very isolated from peers at certain points in my life, I've made some dumb choices, and been in some pretty negative relationships, while they were negative experiences, I don't know that I'd wipe them. For me, I don't think they were negative enough, in any horror/traumatic sense, to warrant being wiped, and I learned from them, and learned more about myself/others. There are probably a huge number of experiences though that I don't think I'd learn from, other than learning how much physical pain is possible or how shitty and demonic some people can be - so I'd wipe those, no question, if I experienced them. And I'm quite all right 'knowing' that theoretically, and don't think experiencing it would add to my knowledge, other than horrific visceral memory recalls.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I would. There are certain memories that I think make me weaker rather than stronger despite overcoming them. Grudges, anxieties rooted in things that other people had done. There things I think should be let go of. Other painful memories I might keep.
    This for me, almost exactly. I think I have memories of bad experiences that I've learned from and it was worth it. And others that I've either learned from and don't feel it was worth it because of the pain/damage involved, or I've kind of failed to learn from them, so far.

If the damage outweighed the benefits, I'd hit the erase button, and I think some things fall into that category. (And I haven't had an immensely traumatic life, either.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

garbage

You could erase your memory of getting your memory erased! The only downside is that you'd remember the second memory erasing and wonder why you got a memory erasing in the first place.