• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Insults and the Belonging of the Worthless

Mole

Permabanned
Insults are important. And their importance is emphasized here because they persist even though they are against the rules we all agree to abide by.

So what is an insult? An insult is like spitting in someone's face. It is showing our victim is worthless.

And we show our victim is worthless because we want to belong, we want to them to be like us. We want them to be worthless like us. So we insult them in order to belong.

This behavior is common in gangs, were we all feel worthless together. And surprisingly, and interestingly, this behavior is common in groups of non-commissioned soldiers. Who would have guessed these armed and trained men feel so worthless together?

There are many here who think insults are fun, but they have a far more serious purpose. And the purpose is not to make the victim feel worthless. It is not to say I am worthless. No, the real purpose of insults is to make us belong.

And the price for belonging is being worthless.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Did someone insult you again? Or did you perceive an insult again?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an interesting idea which hadn't occurred to me before, [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]. I'll have to think on it some more. It presents an interesting dichotomy because externally the insult is rejection, it pushes the person away, but internally it does project one's own worthlessness and more closely joins the two together.

What has occurred to me is that when someone instills a negative feeling in another person, by nature they are often infusing that person with the negative feelings which are a part of their own self. I have learned alot about other people based on how they make me feel. It is something akin to a forced empathy. I suspect that people who hurt have a strong desire to be understood and so they role play the part of the oppressor they have faced and make the other person the victim they have been.

Lark

Dude your reasoning is weird. That's not an insulte BTW, just an observation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What has occurred to me is that when someone instills a negative feeling in another person, by nature they are often infusing that person with the negative feelings which are a part of their own self. I have learned alot about other people based on how they make me feel. It is something akin to a forced empathy. I suspect that people who hurt have a strong desire to be understood and so they role play the part of the oppressor they have faced and make the other person the victim they have been.

Thanks for that. It's an interesting point. So it's almost like a compensation measure, rather than outright assault; it is meant to create some feeling of connection, even if it's not even close to the best form of connection. It is the only form of connection they feel is left remaining to them.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In the same way that a labor or skill is a means to show other people you are superior in some aspect, many insults are an effort to lower someone you believe is superior then yourself.

Mole

Permabanned
A Street Gang, a Platoon and Central

Did someone insult you again? Or did you perceive an insult again?

On the other hand, we can't understand Typology Central from the individual point of view because the individual is the content of Central. To understand Central we need to approach it on its own terms.

And in its own terms Central is an etribe, an electonic tribe, so we can understand Central in terms of its tribal or group dynamic.

So we compare Central with the dynamics of other groups and we are surprised to find Central has the same group dynamic as a street gang or a platoon.

Who would have guessed?

Mole

Permabanned
This is an interesting idea which hadn't occurred to me before, [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]. I'll have to think on it some more. It presents an interesting dichotomy because externally the insult is rejection, it pushes the person away, but internally it does project one's own worthlessness and more closely joins the two together.

Yes, it is an interesting dichotomy. And it is an interesting dichotomy because it is a negative feedback loop where both sides of the dichotomy inhibit one another.

And we know that negative feedback loops give remarkable stability, and here the negative feedback loop gives remarkable stability to a group that, on first blush, looks as though it would fly apart.

So a street gang needs a negative feedback loop to keep the gang together so that the individuals feel they belong.

And a platoon under the stress of battle might fly apart if it wasn't for a negative feedback loop that keeps them together and gives them a sense of belonging. Indeed the sense of belonging in a platoon is so strong the members will sacrifice their lives for one another.

And so on Central: here we are electronically connected all over the world, in different cultures, at different stages of life, primed it would seem to fly apart, except for our negative feedback loop that gives us remarkable stability over time and space and such a sense of belonging that we find it hard to leave.

Mole

Permabanned
Once initiated it is difficult to leave a street gang, and indeed we may be beaten up or worse if we try to leave.

And we all know the only way to leave the mafia is feet first.

And anyone who tries to leave their platoon will be charged with desertion, a criminal offence.

So it is no wonder we find it so hard to leave Typology Central, for our social dynamic is the same as a street gang, the mafia and a platoon.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What passive-aggressive fresh hell is this?

Mole

Permabanned
What passive-aggressive fresh hell is this?

Let your mind run free for a while, dear Silkroad, put aside your accusations of passive aggression, and imagine the social dynamic of Central, a street gang, the mafia and a platoon are the same. Doesn't this tickle your fancy?

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let your mind run free for a while, dear Silkroad, put aside your accusations of passive aggression, and imagine the social dynamic of Central, a street gang, the mafia and a platoon are the same. Doesn't this tickle your fancy?

It's not all that interesting.

I just don't understand why you stick around here. I really don't. Can you tell us why? With a minimum of rhetoric?

Mole

Permabanned
It's not all that interesting.

I just don't understand why you stick around here. I really don't. Can you tell us why? With a minimum of rhetoric?

I can see Silkroad you don't like me and would like me to leave, so thank God I am an independent, creative adult and not dependent on your feelings or opinion.

So perhaps you might like to do yourself a favour and put me on Ignore.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see Silkroad you don't like me and would like me to leave, so thank God I am an independent, creative adult and not dependent on your feelings or opinion.

So perhaps you might like to do yourself a favour and put me on Ignore.

No, I don't particularly like you, but that wasn't what I was asking. I don't understand why you stick around because you seem to hate MBTI and dislike the forum. So why stay?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Insults are important. And their importance is emphasized here because they persist even though they are against the rules we all agree to abide by.

So what is an insult? An insult is like spitting in someone's face. It is showing our victim is worthless.

And we show our victim is worthless because we want to belong, we want to them to be like us. We want them to be worthless like us. So we insult them in order to belong.

This behavior is common in gangs, were we all feel worthless together. And surprisingly, and interestingly, this behavior is common in groups of non-commissioned soldiers. Who would have guessed these armed and trained men feel so worthless together?

There are many here who think insults are fun, but they have a far more serious purpose. And the purpose is not to make the victim feel worthless. It is not to say I am worthless. No, the real purpose of insults is to make us belong.

And the price for belonging is being worthless.

This is quite insightful.

Mole

Permabanned
No, I don't particularly like you, but that wasn't what I was asking. I don't understand why you stick around because you seem to hate MBTI and dislike the forum. So why stay?

Do you think I am worthless or do you think you are worthless? And this is why we both belong to Central?

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think I am worthless or do you think you are worthless? And this is why we both belong to Central.

That's really your answer? THis is what I mean about rhetoric.

I can tell you why I come here. Interest in MBTI and psychology. People I like. Habit. Of course, you may wish to tell me it's for other reasons. But I'm fairly sure it's not because I think I am worthless or because I think Victor is worthless.

So are you saying that you're still here because you think you're worthless? Or because you think everyone else on the forum is worthless?

Why spend so much time on something you seem to dislike so much? Are you trying to convert us away from MBTI? Or what?