• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Insults and the Belonging of the Worthless

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Online forums where you talk to people anonymously seem to make people feel like they can be a lot meaner than they would be irl. I feel like telling people they're illogical is an insult just as much as any other, but it seems to happen all the time on here, not just a few times to me in the past. But I can't complain too much because I'm guilty of my share of veiled insults.
That would depend on whether they really are being illogical - in which case, it is a simple statement of fact. It does help if you can explain the problem with their logic. Otherwise it might be just another unsubstantiated claim/accusation.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would depend on whether they really are being illogical - in which case, it is a simple statement of fact. It does help if you can explain the problem with their logic. Otherwise it might be just another unsubstantiated claim/accusation.

I think the distinction here is telling someone they are being illogical, or that their recent arguments have been illogical, rather than making a blanket judgment about their personality and mental functioning. Do you know what I mean? I have accused others of making illogical arguments or having a pattern of illogical reasoning on a certain thread, but I don't go farther than that.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the distinction here is telling someone they are being illogical, or that their recent arguments have been illogical, rather than making a blanket judgment about their personality and mental functioning. Do you know what I mean? I have accused others of making illogical arguments or having a pattern of illogical reasoning on a certain thread, but I don't go farther than that.
Are you making the distinction between the statements, "you are illogical" and "your comment is illogical"? If so, I can see what you mean. The distinction is probably lost on most people, though.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you making the distinction between the statements, "you are illogical" and "your comment is illogical"? If so, I can see what you mean. The distinction is probably lost on most people, though.

Yes.

And I think that is a problem.