User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    However for me critical thinking has a purpose.
    Critical Thinking for me no more has a purpose than Natural Selection.

And this is the glory of homo sapiens - we no more need a purpose than poetry.

We reach our highest moments when we do things for their own sake. When we do things for intrinsic reasons, we become one with whatever we do.

Naturally the debased and those who wish to debase humanity tell us we are put here for a purpose. But comically it often turns out that the purpose we are put here to serve is their self interest.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Insults hurt us emotionally, insults smart, insults cut us to the quick, insults mobilize our emotional defences.

This is because insults are intersubjective.

No man is an island, and insults link our subjective islands.

One of the advantages of homo sapiens, conferred by natural selection, is that we are intersubjective. In other words, I can know what you are thinking and feeling and you can know what I am thinking and feeling.

And intersubjectivity makes civilization possible. Intersubjectivity makes lying possible, and so advertising, and so propaganda, and so education, and even conversation. Without intersubjectivity, Central would be impossible.

Without intersubjectivity I wouldn't be able to lie to you, but trust me, I would only lie to you if I could get away with it.
    You are extrapolating grossly. Yes, you can know what I am thinking and feeling - if I tell you. Otherwise, you can but guess, and have a good chance of guessing incorrectly. I will do no better, and likely worse. Please elaborate on exactly what you mean by "intersubjectivity".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

The Largest Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are extrapolating grossly. Yes, you can know what I am thinking and feeling - if I tell you. Otherwise, you can but guess, and have a good chance of guessing incorrectly. I will do no better, and likely worse. Please elaborate on exactly what you mean by "intersubjectivity".
    Why do you think such a soft, edible animal as homo sapiens, without even claws and with tiny teeth, have been such a success under Natural Selection?

The answer is simple and obvious, we have become so successful because we have become one large animal due to intersubjectivity. They keep telling us the largest animal that has ever lived, lives today as the Blue Whale, but this is simply mistaken - homo sapiens is the largest animal that has ever lived, due entirely to intersubjectivity.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I agree this is a character flaw of mine. And I do it out of malice and to shore up my fragile ego.
    I doubt if I can put an end to my malice or even shore up my ego.
    So I guess this is the price you pay for my provocative ideas.
    Oh Victor, you're breaking my heart!

I sense there is good in you.
    Why oh why won't you come into the light and set your malice aside?
    What would Toad say?
    Think of Mole and Rat!

The alternative is to put me on Ignore.
    Actually, I've had you on Ignore for years. I just occasionally read your posts anyway, just for old times' sake.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Dude your reasoning is weird. That's not an insulte BTW, just an observation.
    Yeah, no kidding. He declares axiomatic truth and ignores those who question it, while people pat him ignorantly on the back for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why do you typically have to ruin your provocative ideas by tacking on these personal slights at the end, that put down those you disagree with and elevate you to someone smarter than them? Or why not take it in the other direction for once? In this way, you are contributing to your own cycle of discontent here... you end up either rightly being criticized, or people simply isolate themselves from you, and you help create your own situation.

Some people here are frustrated by you, but I don't think people want to murder you. I also think it would be helpful if people worked harder to understand your ideas, and you worked harder to communicate in ways you know would better convey your insights.

... but whatever. You certainly already know all that.
    Good to know my estimations of you are correct. So you like "provocative" crap. Instead of critically thinking about what Victor has said, you pat him on the back instead. This just goes to show you really don't prioritize arguing and reasoning fairly, but support provocation foremost. And if you get your kicks out of using propaganda to piss people off, [insult removed].
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-06-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: removed insult

The Naughty Corner

Actually, I've had you on Ignore for years.
    I knew it, I knew it, I knew you sent me to the naughty corner years ago. Well, I can't say I don't deserve it. It's true, I'm a naughty boy - not the Messiah, just a naughty boy.

What would Toad say? Think of Mole and Rat!
    I think it is very cruel of you J. (see, I can't even bring myself to write your full name) to talk behind by back to my friends Mole and Rat, and you were even indiscrete enough to talk to Toad, and Toad being the gossip he is, it will be all over the riverbank by now.

Your cruel words have even reached the Wild Wood giving the weasels and stoats no end of fun. I am laughed at wherever I go!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Good to know my estimations of you are correct. So you like "provocative" crap. Instead of critically thinking about what Victor has said, you pat him on the back instead. This just goes to show you really don't prioritize arguing and reasoning fairly, but support provocation foremost. And if you get your kicks out of using propaganda to piss people off, [insult removed].
    Your estimation of me is apparently very clueless, as I have been one of Victor's biggest critics over the years. And not necessarily about his content; I get where he is going with many of his posts, but at the same time I think he's less concerned about communicating in ways that actually can make a difference. He's more enamored with his style of exchange and being provocative. I have a hard time catering to that sacrifice of clarity for style.

Meanwhile, you don't really know me, and I don't know who the fuck you are, except for how you lost it during election season, and since then I've stayed away from you.

I don't really understand why you are holding an ongoing grudge against me, to the point of publicly calling me a cunt (very cute way to word it, by the way, to try to "skirt the rules"); but I'd appreciate if you stopped harassing me needlessly around the forum. I'm fine with not talking to you, and if you can't actually give me a fair shake and keep that venom in your mouth, I'd appreciate you returning the favor. Thanks.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew you sent me to the naughty corner years ago. Well, I can't say I don't deserve it. It's true, I'm a naughty boy - not the Messiah, just a naughty boy.
    I'm sorry, Victor, I can't play with you anymore.
    People are talking.
    My reputation as a nice girl is ruined, from the looks of it.
    I'll never get into finishing school now.
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-06-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: edited quoted insult
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Yeah, no kidding. He declares axiomatic truth and ignores those who question it, while people pat him ignorantly on the back for the thought.

I don't think you have clue one about who Jennifer is. Your post is filled so full of ignorance, I can't help but laugh.

Also, spellcheck tells me that "cunt" is spelled with a "c" and my dictionary check on it's definition tells me you don't know how to apply this word properly.
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-06-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed quoted insult

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

That wasn't even remotely what Jennifer said.
    Last edited by Ivy; 12-06-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed quoted insult
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING