User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Well, that's all taken care of.

For the record, though: Queen Ivy isn't the arbiter of what is insulting and what is not. In this case, a multi-page thread in the modbox involving nine people was.

That is, we mods do indeed hash this stuff out as a team.

Carry on
    *is interested*

What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Reading @Victor's later posts, I'm wondering if he's trying to imply that all "tribes" are based around insults? I'm not really seeing that, but I'm curious as to how that would work... and how a tribe NOT based on insults would work.
    Negative feedback loops are stable while positive feedback loops are unstable.

And mutual insults provide a negative feedback loop and so stability; and mutual kindness and encouragement provides a positive feedback loop and instability.

So authoritarian societies are based on mutual insult and so stability; and creative societies are based on mutual kindness and encouragement and so instability.

So whether we prefer stability or instability will tell us whether we are authoritarian or creative.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have seen this. A put-down or insult to remind a person of their place in the rest of the group. In a "crabs in a bucket" way. "Who do you think you are? You think you're better than us. Well, you're not--you're just a _________ like me and that's all you'll ever be!"

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    *is interested*

What happened?
    Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.

So, too, does every reported post generate a thread in the Modbox for all of us to discuss what the hell we should do about it (if anything).

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Online forums where you talk to people anonymously seem to make people feel like they can be a lot meaner than they would be irl. I feel like telling people they're illogical is an insult just as much as any other, but it seems to happen all the time on here, not just a few times to me in the past. But I can't complain too much because I'm guilty of my share of veiled insults.

Online forums where you talk to people anonymously seem to make people feel like they can be a lot meaner than they would be irl.
    I disagree. I have to drive through the forum with my foot on the brake, every day.
    You want real insults from me? Only in real life will you get those. Here, I have to be 'Jaguar Lite.'

Whether we are authoritarian or creative doesn't matter on Central, for on Central the authoritarian and the creative are both the content of Typology Central.

This is a fascinating discovery because I don't know what it means to be the content of Central, yet I am the content of Central, as are you.

Perhaps if we approach it obliquely: to be the content of Facebook means Facebook owns you and can sell you on to other businesses.

Another oblique approach is to look at another medium such as the book. And we ask, what is the content of the book? Well, the first book printed in 1440 was the Bible, and prior to 1440 the Bible was a manuscript - a manu-script, ie, written manually by hand. So in 1440 they printed for the first time the manuscript of the Bible and called it a book.

So the content of the book is the manuscript. And generalising we can say the content of any medium is the previous medium.

So as far as Central is concerned, we are the previous medium.

This is a blow to the vanity of creative individuals to discover we are simply the content of another medium.

It's like discovering in, "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", that we are simply a cosmic experiment carried out by the mice. It is disorientating. It is shocking. It is unbelievable. And worse, it is a blow to our ego.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes bologna, there are two states: the first is where we talk about something and the second is where we experience something.

The first, where we talk about, usually occurs in the left hemisphere of our brain because that is where we understand words. The second, where we experience, usually occurs in the right hemisphere of our brain where we have immediate experience of the world around us.

For instance, we can talk about insults or we can experience insults by actually insulting someone.
    Good stuff, Victor.

I suppose another way to learn is to 'experience' insults is to observe insults being traded among others, what the consequences seem to be for all parties involved, and what factors in one's environment leads one to insult, to experience insults, or to process them in some way or another. It likely doesn't have the same deep impact as experiencing it ourselves, but the stakes are also much lower.

This is a blow to the vanity of creative individuals to discover we are simply the content of another medium.
    Good. We absolutely need such blows to our vanity so that we can find self-worth by other means, to evaluate any merit that might be contained in an insult rather than to simply deflect it. That's how we grow.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Sometimes insults are a good natured ribbing between friends... Everything doesn't need to be read into... I'm guessing you found Whitman a little too American for your tastes

and like jaguar mentioned, I tend to play nice on here compared to real life, even with the jokes, because some people get their feathers all ruffled even over a joke!

also, I think it's a first that you've gotten all the way to page 10 in one of your threads about insults without personally using the term ad hominem...impressive!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Negative feedback loops are stable while positive feedback loops are unstable.

And mutual insults provide a negative feedback loop and so stability; and mutual kindness and encouragement provides a positive feedback loop and instability.

So authoritarian societies are based on mutual insult and so stability; and creative societies are based on mutual kindness and encouragement and so instability.

So whether we prefer stability or instability will tell us whether we are authoritarian or creative.
    And if people are creatively insulting?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.