User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram

Default Over-Thinking and Obsessive Thoughts?

Is there anyone else here who gets obsessive thoughts? I am talking of invasive ones that I can't even shoo away. Example; I think of X and it becomes Y & Z and I am wondering why I even got to that conclusion in the first place. Yeah, I over-think things but when it comes to these thoughts trailing into, say accusations and assumptions about people I care about. I've been given a diagnosis of OCD could this be it? It really sucks when I share these thoughts with whom it may concern. I'm at the point where I think this is a curse and no matter what I do to distract myself the thoughts return. Another example, and maybe this gives a better idea; I read back on a conversation I had with someone and try to pick out words and end up coming up with something that they didn't mean in the first place. The words would become ingrained in my mind. I feel like I am a bad friend in many cases whereas I end up coming up with baseless accusations and fears. I am worried for my mental health at this point and these thoughts are even worse when I've had caffeine. I am not mentally-ill I swear but I do wish these thoughts did not need to present their ugly head in terms of my friendships. I care for my friends, a lot and maybe the problem is I am too obsessive and worried about them? If someone isn't online for a few days I would guess he or she died and I'd Google to see if I can find any articles about their death. Bad, I know. I also end up thinking of the worst case scenario when it comes to them and I guess I need to realize I should trust them and lay back a bit?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Sounds like classic OCD. I'd just talk about it to someone you can trust, as often as you need to. If your friend understands its just how your mind works, and it helps you to talk it out, then I doubt they'd get weirded out.

If talking doesn't work, over time, then therapy or even meds might be in order. But I'd use meds as a last-ditch thing, personally.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Over thinking things to the point of completely obsessive compulsions is something that very intelligent people do, as they work to see things from all possible perspectives and dimensions, as well as having an insatiable drive to achieve whatever they are so complused to do.

Therefore, though it may make life more difficult, I would not necessarily categorize compulsions with anything negative, as it could indeed lead to greater self mastery, accomplishment, and just a basic desire to know.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Over thinking things to the point of completely obsessive compulsions is something that very intelligent people do, as they work to see things from all possible perspectives and dimensions, as well as having an insatiable drive to achieve whatever they are so complused to do.

Therefore, though it may make life more difficult, I would not necessarily categorize compulsions with anything negative, as it could indeed lead to greater self mastery, accomplishment, and just a basic desire to know.
    OCD is called 'disorder' for a reason.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Sounds like classic OCD. I'd just talk about it to someone you can trust, as often as you need to. If your friend understands its just how your mind works, and it helps you to talk it out, then I doubt they'd get weirded out.

If talking doesn't work, over time, then therapy or even meds might be in order. But I'd use meds as a last-ditch thing, personally.
    Thanks. So, you don't think there is something severely wrong with me then? I think I may have pushed this friend in particular away from me in this instance. But maybe that is my chaotic and obsessive mind telling me that. He's actually the one who invited me here, so I think he may understand but I've done this to so many friends especially male friends in concerns to say, other women. I wouldn't say I am jealous of their relationships but maybe that is something I need to assess personally.

I am actually on meds, but I am having doubts as to whether they're working more and I am not sure if I want to be dependent on those for the rest of my natural life.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post

Thanks. Yes, that is all true what you are saying there. It's just really bad in the case when I over think on things I shouldn't be poking my nose into, and maybe asking too many questions to friends about their significant-other in particular. I guess I am too curious for my own good in that matter that I can't help but want to know these things though on that same hand I don't want to make my friends uncomfortable by prying where I shouldn't be. I think I really annoyed a friend of mine the other day by going too far with my curiosity and he was right when he asked if I had some assumptions about him. I did but they were baseless and unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    OCD is called 'disorder' for a reason.
    That it is.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    Thanks. So, you don't think there is something severely wrong with me then? I think I may have pushed this friend in particular away from me in this instance. But maybe that is my chaotic and obsessive mind telling me that. He's actually the one who invited me here, so I think he may understand but I've done this to so many friends especially male friends in concerns to say, other women. I wouldn't say I am jealous of their relationships but maybe that is something I need to assess personally.

I am actually on meds, but I am having doubts as to whether they're working more and I am not sure if I want to be dependent on those for the rest of my natural life.

I don't know, but I'd doubt it. I'd have to evaluate you fully to find out.

As to the rest, not really sure what you are saying.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

WALMART

I intended to write a serious response, but my thoughts have been derailed. lol?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

^ That ginormously large and obnoxious picture is what the neat little spoiler tag is used for.

But I guess Hitler was indeed a highly obsessive and compulsive figure who had a my way or the high way attitude or else ALL OPPOSITION WOULD DIE!

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

My intuition tells me that you have underlying fears and anxiety issues, which bubble up from your unconsciousness into words and thoughts. Probably inferior Te and shadow Ti. Your Fi just wants to go with the flow and love people, but underneath you fear whether you are too trusting and compassionate, and might get taken advantage of. Also your sense of value is at tension with underlying feelings and desires, threatened by your rational mind.

It's ok to have boundaries and standards in your relations with people; it protects you. You just have to consciously think about what they are, and own them. Once you have a really clear idea of it, you can easily determine what is an irrational fear and what is true. And if these irrational fears keep coming up, then you know that there is a part of you that still has these fears, and it needs to be addressed.

Attachment 8542
    (click to enlarge)

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    My intuition tells me that you have underlying fears and anxiety issues, which bubble up from your unconsciousness into words and thoughts. Probably inferior Te and shadow Ti. Your Fi just wants to go with the flow and love people, but underneath you fear whether you are too trusting and compassionate, and might get taken advantage of. Also your sense of value is at tension with underlying feelings and desires, threatened by your rational mind.

It's ok to have boundaries and standards in your relations with people; it protects you. You just have to consciously think about what they are, and own them. Once you have a really clear idea of it, you can easily determine what is an irrational fear and what is true. And if these irrational fears keep coming up, then you know that there is a part of you that still has these fears, and it needs to be addressed.

Attachment 8542
    (click to enlarge)
    Ah, yes that makes a lot of sense what you are saying there. I do have a lot of irrational tendencies, as you've pointed out. My friend in particular was wondering why I even wrote ninety-five percent of what I wrote to him, and mind that only five percent even applied to anything we've talked about. So, I guess that is a good example. Another thing, I end up repeating things, maybe it's in my subconscious but another good friend told me I am like a parrot with repeating things. I guess I am a difficult person to be around in that respect. I was told I am a thorn in the side. But hey, I've got the self-reflection to admit that, right?

Another thing, I had a nightmare-- or maybe what was a vivid recollection of various unfounded fears and disjointed thoughts-- but this one friend in particular ended up with Rosie O'Donnell. I mean wouldn't you worry if a friend brought Rosie home? Ninety percent of the time I am within my own thoughts, as ridiculous as they are but I somehow conjured this up. I fear this friend not getting hurt-- so maybe Rosie was there in a symbolic way that I should watch out for my friend or that I should not over think these things to perhaps welcome them though the latter is extremely unlikely? But you see, that is how my thought process is-- I guess I can call them 'destructive thoughts'. And I wonder why I have headaches so much.