• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Over-Thinking and Obsessive Thoughts?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should take ADD meds but I refuse.

I at least try to refuse, but my mother always gets them in me. They make me feel sick, and it makes my head swim. I don't have as many creative or fun thoughts, and I hate that.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have these. I have been struggling with them for quite some time now. Yes, these are OCD related and there is a technical name for them as well. They are known as "intrusive thoughts". Check out this article on them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

Doing yoga, throwing yourself into distracting activities, and exercise helps as well. Also, make sure that you always get enough sleep. When you sleep the brain makes serotonin which helps you to calm down, so when you don't have enough sleep the problem becomes even worse. Also, stay away from both sugar and caffeine, that makes the problem worse as well.

If you have to take meds for them, try the herb called, "passion-flower" and "Valerian Root". The only pills that have ever helped me are Xanax.

Helpful! I might try that herbal suggestion.

baccheion

I have this as well, just much worse. Try Inositol at 18g/day (6g 3x/day). It didn't work for me, but it works for almost everyone. May take 6 weeks to take full effect.

Lark

Well that sort of obsessive thinking is something that I think present day culture seeks to instill in people, if you consider the confluence of government and other agencies trying to stoke peoples social conscience or conscentiousness per se or personal responsibility on one hand (because there really are people who need to get that message) or the message of "you really need to get one of these" of maximal consumerism, which isnt just the invention of marketing or PR men but is carried on like a "mind virus" by people themselves, especially brand conscious cliches or niche identities.

During the cold war paranoia was a big, big deal and if you werent actually thinking that way you could be deemed to be unaware or unpatriotic or something.

You just need to repeatedly ask yourself is what you're thinking rational? And consciously correct your own thinking, because something is possible doesnt mean its probable, so just because its possible that your friend being out of contact could mean they are dead definitely does not mean its probable, unless they are a soldier or living with high risk.

I have thoughts like that now and again, particularly when I'm stressed, often when I'm in contexts were the probabilities are high there's going to be stress accompanying that, but I just keep catching myself thinking that way and then consciously question it, on the basis of what evidence am I thinking that. Could be irrational, no evidence.

If it is true/there is evidence is it something I can influence, could I? Should I? So even if its probable, maybe its something I shouldnt worry about or cant influence anyway. The worry is meant to be a signal to action but if no action is possible, or you've taken what action you can, then just dispensing with the worry is the logical thing because its not serving any good purpose.

Even when there's evidence and its not a straight forward irrational assumption or jumping to improbable conclusions there's explanatory style to consider, my explanatory style is pretty optimistic (people arent going to believe that because a lot of my posts are decrying the ludicrous misdirection I think the world is taking most of the time), so in the given example I would think no news is good news, bad news travels fast, therefore if I havent heard anything from anyone I wouldnt assume the worst (they could have won the lottery and are off spending their fortune and good luck to them).

You might need help, then again maybe not, like I say I think that there's a great deal of this sort of ordinary misery created by our pop culture, or it underpins social structures or social stratification, everyone experiences it in varying degrees but some people are just fortunate that it doesnt trouble them so much or they have a great informal network of support.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I at least try to refuse, but my mother always gets them in me. They make me feel sick, and it makes my head swim. I don't have as many creative or fun thoughts, and I hate that.

The counselors tell me to take them, but I refuse. They try to get you hooked on these meds so they can make a profit. Fuck them!

Helpful! I might try that herbal suggestion.

Yeah, also try "Damiana" for anxiety, that helps as well. The bottom line, is that your mind is always gonna think, so you have to constantly keep it busy.