User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've never really been sure, tbh. I think I tend to be either high- or low-energy based on who I'm interacting with. I'm adaptable in that regard; I'm not the sort of person who barrels into any situation like a bull in a china shop, nor am I consistently a passive, chill person, but I take whichever of the two roles seems to be necessary. Some of this, I think, has to do with the fact that I was raised by a high-energy mom and a low-energy dad, and as their only child, I had to successfully deal with them both in order to maintain the family dynamic.

But on the other hand, I think I come across as being pretty consistent, energy-wise. Even when I'm quiet or unsure about things, it seems like an intense slow-burn to other people. It's just a matter of whether the lid of the boiling pot is on, or off.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the question correctly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    However, I think the primary determinant is an inherent trait of people; yet anyone's environment can energize them or demotivate them depending on the person/environment combo.

From what I've seen, people who are engaging in activities that are reinforcing of their core strengths are usually energized as hell, because whatever it is they are doing is re-inforcing, it is a source of positive energy flow, because they are doing something well, and likely being rewarded for it, either via money, recognition, achievement of something they believe in, etc.
    Ooh, that's a really good point. I'm VERY high-energy when I'm doing something I like, that I feel confident about.
    I identify with this statement alot; I am very similar.
    I like being productive.
    I like being able to have an effect on my environment.
    Same.
    Thank goodness there are so many different types of people, likfe would be boring otherwise.
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
    - Bill Nye

~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I've never really been sure, tbh. I think I tend to be either high- or low-energy based on who I'm interacting with. I'm adaptable in that regard;
    I experience this too.
    People who are "irritating" to me tend to drain me, and thus I avoid them like the plague.
    Extroverts DO NOT ALWAYS gain energy from being around people; we are energized by being around the "right peeps" - or good common folk unknown to us, in general.

I'm not the sort of person who barrels into any situation like a bull in a china shop,
    Ummm...I...kind of sorta' am.
    It's funny how some people look horrified when I show up and am like "Hi! I'm here to help out!"

nor am I consistently a passive, chill person,
    The only people like this that I know are my Mother, and my wife's Step-Dad.
    It's an interesting disposition to me, because it is so different than my own.

but I take whichever of the two roles seems to be necessary.
    It's good to be flexible.
    It's hard for me to hold back once my trigger to engage is pulled.

Some of this, I think, has to do with the fact that I was raised by a high-energy mom and a low-energy dad, and as their only child, I had to successfully deal with them both in order to maintain the family dynamic.
    This is a very interesting observation!

But on the other hand, I think I come across as being pretty consistent, energy-wise. Even when I'm quiet or unsure about things, it seems like an intense slow-burn to other people. It's just a matter of whether the lid of the boiling pot is on, or off.
    Potential energy can be felt by animals.
    Dogs do not aggress toward assertive people.
    Therefore, an assertive person at rest is still exhuding an energy signature that is detectable by others.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the question correctly...
    Regardless, your replies are very interesting.

Ooh, that's a really good point. I'm VERY high-energy when I'm doing something I like, that I feel confident about.
    When I have a chance to dedicate my time and enrgy to something I have a natural affinity for, or something I believe in, I hit "Tasmanian Devil" mode, and the Energizer Bunny in me sits on the bench for a while and goes "Wow, that dude is loaded with some seriously badass batteries."

Same.
    It's fun, isn't it!?
    And trying to have an affect on one's environment is not always for personal gain. contrary to popular belief.

"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
    - Bill Nye
    AWESOME quote!

and and

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@Halla74 and @EJCC have an interesting conversation going on up there about differences in different situations I suppose I'll weigh in a bit now...

My energy seems mostly to just feed off of my energy in a way... if I'm not feeling particularly up to doing something, whether exercise, cleaning or dealing with people I tend to force myself to do it in the most energetic manner possible... when I'm done I feel like I can conquer the world from that point on... energy gained from energy expended, as illogical as that sounds in a way I'm quite capable of bouncing around the house and being productive without anyone else even around!

and to Halla's comment about potential energy and animals... it seems to apply to humans as well... I've had bosses who everyone else hated and feared as tyrants back down when I've told them no on a consistent basis in the past... I really don't think that I'm particularly intimidating, but I guess energy gives off some sort of warning vibes or something to humans as well

... I can also agree that it's hard to back down once engaged in the situation... don't get me interested and then say I'm not needed... I'm looking FORWARD to fixing things by now!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I have a tendancy to pace back and forth constantly, especially when I'm thinking. A bit like an animal in a cage, I suppose, except better at maths.

There are some people who seem to do nothing at all, but perhaps that's just an inaccurate perception. People often think that about me, after all.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

garbage

One of my students is a very, very high-energy person--passionate about what he does, spontaneous, excitable, with no economy of words and often scattered. I've determined that my primary role is to motivate him and to focus/channel/direct his energy and his efforts, so we work very well together.

I can "switch it on" for a while--I can be a passionate and lively speaker and entertainer, and I like to catch attention--but I do highly appreciate periods of 'disengagement.' Those periods are a chance to sharpen the saw--to organize and collect thoughts, to piece together the ol' mental model of the outside world, to get my bearings straight for the next go 'round. My brain's always churning away, even when my body isn't.

Pure raw balls-out action is one way to impact the external world, but there are others, too. Those other means just happen to be less direct; and so less noticeable; and so sometimes less appreciated both externally and within oneself. I've felt guilty for a lack of raw activity until I began to realize that one.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It depends who I'm with, where I am, what my mood is like, how much sugar I have and whether the thing I'm doing is something I like or not.

Or it could be whether or not I'm looking forward to something or not.

Edit: My energy comes like a PLC curve (google it). I need time to warm up in the morning and it peaks just before evening, slowly dying off at night. This is, of course, during a normal day -- assuming I'm eating normally and there's nothing to look forward to in my mundane life.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    @Halla74 and @EJCC have an interesting conversation going on up there about differences in different situations I suppose I'll weigh in a bit now...

My energy seems mostly to just feed off of my energy in a way...
    Interesting!

This is the "self-perpetuating reaction" effect, like nuclear fusion but using ATP + motivation instead.
    IF I am "in to something" - as in a landscaping project, cleaning my house from wall to wall + floor to ceiling, etc., THEN yes I do have a supernatural reserve to tap into, because the very thought of accomplishing what I set out to do is an adrenaline-like drug all its own.

The part of it I'm working on is "mustering up enough fgive a shit to do things I'm less than entheused about."

if I'm not feeling particularly up to doing something, whether exercise, cleaning or dealing with people I tend to force myself to do it in the most energetic manner possible... when I'm done I feel like I can conquer the world from that point on... energy gained from energy expended, as illogical as that sounds in a way
    That's very cool of you to be able to shift into that mode readily as you need to.

I have one little technique I've been using as of late to get myself moving in the morning when I don't want to get out of warm, snuggly, cozy, super-awesome bed and go to work.
    I imagine a tiny drill Seargeant on my shoulder screaming at me. He usually says something along the lines of:

"Hey, you lazy piece of rhinosaurus snot!! You're going to be late for work if you don't move your ass!! Get off your goddamn computer, shower and get dressed - NOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!"

I'm quite capable of bouncing around the house and being productive without anyone else even around!
    Ohhh, I totally identify with this.
    In full-on "get shit done mode" I have in the past actually "scared people."

BUT - when my house is empty and only my pets bear witness to my methods, I can do the work of four people for hours on end - if I am simply allowed to it all as I prefer, and in the order I wish, and at the multi-thread/multi-task level that my brain operates at by default.

and to Halla's comment about potential energy and animals... it seems to apply to humans as well... I've had bosses who everyone else hated and feared as tyrants back down when I've told them no on a consistent basis in the past... I really don't think that I'm particularly intimidating, but I guess energy gives off some sort of warning vibes or something to humans as well
    Yes, this is exactly what I mean.

This is the penultimate sign of being an assertive person, IMHO.

It matters not if you have actual "authority," or "rank," or even supernatural strength/size - what matters more than any of that is that you emphatically believe to the core that things need to be going a certain direction, and that you have the confidence to stand your ground, defend your position, and have the audacity + intellect + charm to persuade your naysayers to adopt your position on the matter.

If you are at the state that I described above, then it will basically take a few police officers gunning you down with tear gas + rubber bullets + tazers to disengage you.

And when people detect that level of confidence, and if they are not as confident that they can hold their ground should they choose to engage you in debate, they will likely either comply, remain silent, or defer to the viewpoint of whomever they feel "should" have authoirty over the matter at hand.

That's why I always identify the "decision maker(s)" in the room FIRST - before the melee of the day takes place. You don't have to win the whole room over, you just have to entice the person in charge that your solution to the problem at hand is feasible, of lowest risk than any other available outcome, within their budget, and can be implemented by the time needed.

... I can also agree that it's hard to back down once engaged in the situation... don't get me interested and then say I'm not needed... I'm looking FORWARD to fixing things by now!
    TOTALLY!!!!!

Do not summon a genie only to tell them you have no wishes that they can make come true.
    You will have a very pissed off genie on your hands, and that is never good.

As always, I totally dig the perspective of the Mighty-Awesome-Brilliant-and-Good WHATEVER.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@Halla74 energy is a funny thing that way... why do some people have the ability to muster it up and others don't? is it that they don't want to, do they not know how to or do they just not have the reserve there, waiting like a magma reservoir under a volcano just waiting to get out?

I think part of the intimidating others through intensity thing comes from background in part too... when you have a history of throwing everything at what you want because of some strange sense of desperation- maybe you've tied your self worth to what you do instead of what you are, or maybe you feel there's nothing left to lose... that throwing yourself into things with intensity becomes a second nature and a manner of defense... if you're strong enough nobody's going to dare to go against you... they will back down. god help everyone if two such people meet head to head though...

and I can totally identify with the getting up in the morning thing... we have a rather wonderful bed with high thread count sheets and a down comforter and once my first alarm goes off in the morning the man always rolls over to spoon me until I have to get up... getting out of bed is HARD ... I always have to remind myself of the consequences of NOT getting up every morning...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

I've been wondering for a bit if there really is such a thing as a high energy person or, I suppose the opposite would be a low energy person... is it a personal characteristic or is it a reaction to life circumstances or a bit of both?

I keep getting described as high energy by people... I'm comfortable on the move, making things happen or making sure that they flow efficiently... described a few times as someone who, even when still, appears to have a lot of energy waiting under the surface... waiting to jump into action for some reason.

Except for when on a daily drinking schedule or when seriously depressed I've ALWAYS been that way... a very active child and teenager who was always up to something. To be any other way is somehow kind of incomprehensible to me...

I realize that not everyone is the same way or it wouldn't be something that is often commented on and a lot of people seem rather content to sit still and just relax. Is this a difference in physiology? in mental makeup? in life circumstances?

is there such a thing as a high energy or, conversely, a low energy person? what are the causes?

I'd really like some input from people on either side of the coin here in order to understand things a bit better if possible since it's kind of an awkward question to ask people in real life
    High energy, more control than drive. EJ.
    High energy, more drive than control. EP.
    Low energy, more control than drive. IJ.
    Low energy, more drive than control. IP.