• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever miss being depressed?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To anyone who has ever been depressed long term and has come out of it: Do you ever miss it? Has it ever brought you any sentimental value?

I've been starting to come out of depression recently, I don't know how it happened, but I'm guessing that it had to do with the increased alcohol consumption (which, ironically enough, is a depressant) that started giving me a more confident attitude (I started messaging people on dating sites, for Christ's sake -- of course, I was drunk drunque when I did it, but still, I got some responses), but I sorta miss having complaining about. I found it to be a creative stimulant of sorts. Do you ever get that way?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
G

garbage

No; I'd only want 'reminders' of it if I wind up losing an attitude of gratitude and need a humility check.

But I sometimes miss the manic highs that come from bipolar. Those were fun, but the skewed perspective and crashes aren't worth it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think depression can become part of a person's identity which could cause them to miss it. It just messed with my ability to function and it hurt, so I'm only happy to see it go.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was never identified clinically as depressed, but I think I had a depressed period. The only thing I miss from it was the moment at which I realized that I essentially had infinite freedom if I had no worth. That was the point that brought me back to life, though, so I suppose that within me, it lives on.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It just messed with my ability to function and it hurt, so I'm only happy to see it go.

Pretty much. It happened to me once for sure and possibly twice. Totally sucked. Never want to do that again.

G

garbage

On the other hand, the existential crises that came with it shed tons and tons light on concepts such as agency, autonomy, will, the human condition, and so on.

But to be stuck in that perspective is bad news bears.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It gets better dude and I'm glad you're feeling better. Sorry for razzing you so much.

W

WALMART

This has made me realize I was only in a recession of attitude. I don't think I could ever become full blown depressed.

Now a sequential habit of recessions... that may pose a danger. hm.

To answer the question in context, no. I do not miss it.

R

Riva

The body responses to extreme physical pain (and on other certain occasions) by producing .................................... Endorphins.

These Endorphins provides a feeling of well-being.

Pinch you hand really hard, let it go. What do you feel? Initially pain yes but it is followed by a feeling of a good feeling. That is the effect of endorphins if I am not mistaken.

Will it be correct to assume that psychological stress/pain produces a similar chemical like endorphins when under stress? Summons doctor [MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION].

If it is so we can assume that a person who is going through stress quickly produces that-chemical-I-do-not-know-of than in other people because the body is ready for it. Since this chemical makes one feels good the body (or maybe the subconscious mind) craves for it.

The mind craves to be depressed not because it desires depression because it desires the feeling that-chemical-I-do-not-know-of produces.

Thank you.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. Hell no. It was one of the worst periods of my life.

I do miss the feelings of emergence when I started to recover, the realization that the world is the my oyster...that was really powerful high and I do like to think back to that particular moment. It reminds me how much I'm glad I'm alive and didn't successfully kill myself back then

Lark

I dont think I've ever been depressed proper but I've experienced malignant sadness or situational stress related depressive feelings and I dont miss those at all, I hate them, I do what I can to try and avoid situations which will give rise to them and people that will give rise to them.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
dear god no! :shock:

I was a mess and at my worst... I wouldn't even talk... there is no way in hell you would get me to agree to go back there- I LIKE seeing that I have a future and having things to look forward to! :)

I can't think of a single thing that I miss about it...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Fighting out of it can give a sort of high, but no. Do not want.
Depression makes me want to kill the world because I have to claw out of it and in my experience, people aren't very supportive or conductive to that.
So it's "be happy, or I swear to Jegus I will bludgeon you to death with your own leg to preserve my sanity!"

Mole

Permabanned
To anyone who has ever been depressed long term and has come out of it: Do you ever miss it? Has it ever brought you any sentimental value?

I've been starting to come out of depression recently, I don't know how it happened, but I'm guessing that it had to do with the increased alcohol consumption

Self medicating with alcohol is a dangerous step to take.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well... this is odd... I agree with Victor here! :laugh:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've been starting to come out of depression recently, I don't know how it happened, but I'm guessing that it had to do with the increased alcohol consumption (which, ironically enough, is a depressant) that started giving me a more confident attitude (I started messaging people on dating sites, for Christ's sake -- of course, I was drunk drunque when I did it, but still, I got some responses), but I sorta miss having complaining about. I found it to be a creative stimulant of sorts. Do you ever get that way?

Funny you say that - I've heard it said that some artists/musicians lose their 'spark' when they;re no longer unhappy. "____'s albums were better when they were miserable."

Sadness, like feelings of grief, can push me to find a creative way to deal with it, certainly, but I don't miss the sharp edges of new pain, by any means.

Depression, on the other hand- utter hopelessness- I couldn't channel creatively, after a certain point. Start thinking what IS the point. And just stand still internally, letting it creep over, like kudzu vines, trapped/suffocated. I do not miss that feeling. As a highly future-oriented person, falling into the belief that there's no future for me, is a dangerous place.

I imagine some people get more concrete creative things out there when they're unsettled or unhappy, because they are, in essence, standing still, with these unhappy thoughts. Plenty of space and time to mull them over- analyze, analyze, analyze. When we're happy and moving forward, perhaps we pay less attention. Give less pause. Feel less alone with it, less of a need to further process the emotions.

I wouldn't say it'd be any more or less difficult to channel positive energy in a similarly creative way, that one does with the negative. Just have to consciously consider, perhaps.

Glad to hear you're in a better place :happy: - mind you don't let yourself get dependent on the booze for liquid courage, though.
(& don't mind the Fe-mothering, I can't shut it up) - In all seriousness though, take care of yourself. I can understand the drive to experiment with different mindstates, but be careful not to fall into making it a habit. You see you are capable of interacting with people with confidence, at least- it's not an impossibility- which means you don't necessarily, absolutely require the presence of alcohol in your system to call upon that confidence. It's in there, somewhere. Just have to bring that not-giving-a-fuckery outward. Like I said, take care of yourself. Self value & looking after one's health go hand in hand with the authentic confidence you're striving to summon up/maintain.

The general principle behind medicating with anything is that it offers therapeutic effects on a temporary basis, only. Anything beyond that becomes a serious health risk, & will diminish your overall quality of life, over time. Any benefits are far outweighed by the costs. Not trying to lecture you - you're an intelligent person; I'm sure these concepts are not foreign to you. Just throwing this out there, as a caring friend.
Sometimes it helps to be reminded, I suppose.