User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: stupid people

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default stupid people

I usually refrain from bitching about people who aren't all that bright because every crayon can't be the sharpest in the box and I've always suspected that even less "sparkly" people mentally have uses and talents... and no, this isn't type related in the least because I've seen dumbasses of every variety

I've been working the front end of a staffing agency lately getting people jobs in a warehouse... at the moment there's a high demand for the holidays so we've had at least 150 people a day come through the doors. Because I've been labeled both "high energy" and "not willing to take shit from anyone" I tend to work the front desk and the room where people answer questions on the computer screen and take a skills test. The skills test is constructed so that we can see if people can follow basic instructions, understand english (the job requires that) and can find and sort things.

And people still fail it

I'm not talking about people who can't speak english, which is a perfectly acceptable reason to fail a test that is designed to sort out those who don't... I'm talking people who have high school diplomas and work histories and such who can't pass a fucking matching test or can't figure out how to fill out a form that instructs you how to fill it out explicitly on it

Now, I've met a lot of dumb people in my life, but I'm kind of shocked and horrified that I have to turn away at least 50 people a day for not figuring out basic things as they are unable to work in a warehouse...

what do people like this DO with their lives? what goes through their minds? how has this great sub-section of society existed without me being aware of it (at least aware of the number of people who fall into it)? Do these people realize that they hurt normal people's brains with their idiocy? I'm just trying to figure this out... any input?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

WALMART

Think about the intelligence of the average person.... now think that half of them are dumber than that.

Seemingly normal adults can be surprisingly illogical in their reasoning skills.

MBTI
    INFJ

Standardization lets people slip by from satisfactory completion of school work without actually understanding it.

People have a tendency to screw around on easy tests because they are over confident in their choices, and believe that they don't have to think about it and can 'breeze through it' without taking it seriously.

Many people ignore instructions. I remember a test where it was emphasized to read the instructions before taking the test. It was a small booklet of questions. However, the instructions clearly stated that you were to turn to the last page and answer only the last question, yet most people filled out the entire test. The actual test was seeing if you follow instructions!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the saddest part is that I give them instructions on how to take the test that include actual examples from the test... and lately I've been made to reset the test for all but the most offensive people and people STILL fail it the second time

I guess I'd thought better of humanity before... I really didn't know that there was a good segment of the population who thinks that sorting and identification of a few objects that are directly in front of you could be difficult I thought that people in that general category were considered disabled and perhaps lived in group homes... am I that snobby?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm not talking about people who can't speak english, which is a perfectly acceptable reason to fail a test that is designed to sort out those who don't... I'm talking people who have high school diplomas and work histories and such who can't pass a fucking matching test or can't figure out how to fill out a form that instructs you how to fill it out explicitly on it

what do people like this DO with their lives? what goes through their minds? how has this great sub-section of society existed without me being aware of it (at least aware of the number of people who fall into it)? Do these people realize that they hurt normal people's brains with their idiocy? I'm just trying to figure this out... any input?
    Hold hands with them every step of the way?

That is the general outlook I am seeing. They need commands, if they don't have commands, they get confused.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Hold hands with them every step of the way?

That is the general outlook I am seeing.
    ewww... touching someone's potentially moist and sweaty hands

if I have to walk them through it explicitly they don't DESERVE to get past my step (in my point of view anyways)... really... I taught them to fish so they'd better fish or starve!

ewww... touching someone's potentially moist and sweaty hands

if I have to walk them through it explicitly they don't DESERVE to get past my step (in my point of view anyways)... really... I taught them to fish so they'd better fish or starve!
    That is the point

I'd probably won't want to hire someone that needs help in every step of the process nor would I want to hire someone who can't follow simple instructions

MBTI
    IsFJ

Maybe they're afraid of making a serious mistake, even if they follow the instructions? Sometimes that's what paralyzes me when given simple tasks...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

I've spent most of my adult life wondering about that you know.

To be honest I dont believe that any of them are aware of it, they're either just blissfully unaware or totally bring it with the rationalisations, ie I'm too good for this anyway, I dont need this, its everyone else has the problem, bitch hated me, bitch must hate black/white/asian/irish people or whatever, whole bunch of excuses.

I've seen many versions of this, what I've seen repeatedly, which is interesting to me, is that there are a lot of people who are smart, who could do something or take some paper successfully, there's not an intellect challenge, but who fail through what I would chalk up to a basic question of motivation.

Consicously or unconsicously they dont want to give it their full attention and concentrate on the task at hand, so they dont. Sometimes there's an element of passive aggressive behaviour, ie I will louse this up so badly that I will definitely not be asked to do it again, people will see I am unable and someone else will do it in future, that coule be more or less deliberate or conscious.

MBTI
    STP

I am tired of stupid people. And stupid people have nothing to do with what most people consider smart or stupid. It is closed minded, single sighted, lets bitch instead of working things out, i want what i want, stupid ass people. And the kicker is some people think those who win at that game are smart propogating that mentality. Oh yeah...tired of what about me whiney ass people as well.
    Im out, its been fun