Thread: stupid people

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    People who are perceived prematurely as being stupid such as Albert Einstein often end up turning the world on its head with groundbreaking and revolutionary ideas only a genius could have thought of, which means that what we are judging to be intelligence may be a misplaced idea of common sense. The stupid people therefore will be the greatest assetts to an advanced civilization that is progressing at unprecedented speeds, not to mention that they are not half as boring as the smart people who trust their practical American sense.
    Albert Einstein was pretty much never perceived as stupid, he just started speaking a little bit later.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think Whatever is mean.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    or not having something to do... seriously, I went a year without a job right after we moved and though we had no problem affording anything I was teetering into some serious depression out of feeling that I was of no use in life because I wasn't working

and yet I've known people like that personally, who will happily get their child support and unemployment and spend most of their time having their parents babysit while they go out and party... I don't get it really
    We call those people NEET.

Seriously, I'd get into a case of depression too if I weren't in education, employment, or training.

it's kind of like how cops, firefighters and emts develop a rather morbid sense of humor while working around crimes and accidents all of the time... when surrounded by idiots you learn to laugh when you can because otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair out

I've learned by now though that I have the power over how happy I am in the end, and that I might as well laugh when people are willfully stupid because the other option is to rip off their leg and beat them with it or perhaps to douse myself with lighter fluid and decide it's time for a smoke break!
    Related to how I see humor sometimes.

People often ask me, why do I laugh so easily. Then, I remember I once heard a line somewhere that life is a big, fat joke.

What this means is, you can take everything seriously and lose your mind, or you can laugh at the seriousness of some of these things and move on.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@Rail Tracer I've generally taken the idea of you can either laugh or cry at life, laughing is more fun!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

... and that's the category of people who's been pissing me off... people who are incurious and willfully ignorant enough to fail something that even the genuinely "special" people have no problem with once the directions are explained... why oh why would someone NOT want to better themselves?
    I suppose it's the culture of expectation again, it's either someone elses or their own. If it's their own then they have somehow been brought up in an environment that causes them to believe they are owed something.

And some environments hate the idea of betterment, as many of the inhabitants within these environments struggle to better themselves, mainly because those around them feel entitled but not entitled to act or put effort in. So instead they try to drag down those around them and further this culture of hatred towards betterment.

Essentially it appears to be: Fuck you for showing me my own inadequacies indirectly with your success.

One of the best analogies of this ive read was in Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals when one of the characters is explaining this very struggle to another character....using the metaphor of a 'crab bucket' You see when you go crabbing, you just need a bucket to put the captured crabs in, no cover is required on the top of the bucket to stop the crabs getting out.

Why? Because the crabs will always try to climb over one another, each one over the next and so they end up pulling each other back in their self-centered struggle; so none of them ever gain freedom or reach the light at the end of the bucket.

And this is most prevalent the further you go down the economic scale. It's frustrating to see because it causes otherwise very intelligent and capable people to be constantly denied any chance of progression....as those around them claw them back into the bucket.

It is one of the most insidious side-effects of class systems, that really all started with nothing more than money.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

A window to the soul

All signs point to illiteracy; meaning, unable to read and write. Maybe they came from poverty. I prefer to reserve judgment on the condition of the inherent cognitive abilities of someone I don't know.

MBTI
    STP

People who are quick to judge are usually wrong, all they have figured out is what is obvious. The person is not good at the thing you judged them stupid on. Now here is a challenge, figure out what they are NOT stupid at.
    Im out, its been fun

A window to the soul

Don't know. -sighs-

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I suppose it's the culture of expectation again, it's either someone elses or their own. If it's their own then they have somehow been brought up in an environment that causes them to believe they are owed something.

And some environments hate the idea of betterment, as many of the inhabitants within these environments struggle to better themselves, mainly because those around them feel entitled but not entitled to act or put effort in. So instead they try to drag down those around them and further this culture of hatred towards betterment.

Essentially it appears to be: Fuck you for showing me my own inadequacies indirectly with your success.

One of the best analogies of this ive read was in Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals when one of the characters is explaining this very struggle to another character....using the metaphor of a 'crab bucket' You see when you go crabbing, you just need a bucket to put the captured crabs in, no cover is required on the top of the bucket to stop the crabs getting out.

Why? Because the crabs will always try to climb over one another, each one over the next and so they end up pulling each other back in their self-centered struggle; so none of them ever gain freedom or reach the light at the end of the bucket.

And this is most prevalent the further you go down the economic scale. It's frustrating to see because it causes otherwise very intelligent and capable people to be constantly denied any chance of progression....as those around them claw them back into the bucket.

It is one of the most insidious side-effects of class systems, that really all started with nothing more than money.
    I love this post except for the fact that it is going to make me go get yet another book! I have seen what you (and also that author) described too many times but never quite expressed it as well as you just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    All signs point to illiteracy; meaning, unable to read and write. Maybe they came from poverty. I prefer to reserve judgment on the condition of the inherent cognitive abilities of someone I don't know.
    Did you just make 2 judgements and then say you prefer to reserve judgement??

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    People who are quick to judge are usually wrong, all they have figured out is what is obvious.
    I agree with that but would add what is obvious to what they have been taught. Unfortunately, ignorance is a learned trait.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

I can't understand it... I tried but I can't and if I try any further my brain may rebel
    Try it out yourself before you knock it down. Next time you deal with customer service or whatever else, just be rly dumb!

I talk dumb, ask dumb questions, make rly dumb statements, assume I'm right and stupidly demand what I want. Makes my life much easier!

Thing is, life is structured to be easier when you are dumb. Getting free stuff, discounts, extra service, etc. Somehow people just don't want to argue with me so they go with the least resistance.

Like you - you spend more energy explaining and helping a dumb person than the average person just to get the job done. Is that fair to the average person? No.
    So if you can't change the system, do what it tells you to do - be dumb.

No child left behind kind of translates into the adult world and breeds idiots.