User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: stupid people

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@DisneyGeek ...and that's the concept that started the thread... a deep desire to bleach my brain in fear that their idiocy might infect it

I can't understand it... I tried but I can't and if I try any further my brain may rebel
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    @DisneyGeek ...and that's the concept that started the thread... a deep desire to bleach my brain in fear that their idiocy might infect it

I can't understand it... I tried but I can't and if I try any further my brain may rebel
    How often do you interact with these people? I know stupid isn't supposed to be contagious...but I might be driven to insanity if I had to be in contact with them too often.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    How often do you interact with these people? I know stupid isn't supposed to be contagious...but I might be driven to insanity if I had to be in contact with them too often.
    there's 3 of us who work the front half of the business... we routinely meet and giggle about the worst cases throughout the day to keep sane

the best was some chick who refused to get off her phone the whole time I was giving her instructions on what she needed to do despite the fact that I kept trying to get her to pay attention... she not only had to ask me what came after step 2 (step 3... there were even footsteps and arrows leading her there!) but she also decided that she didn't feel like reading the instructions on the skills test and missed almost everything and then pitched a fit about it and complained that nothing was explained to her even though everyone saw that she had had everything explained but ignored it... I refused to reset her and she had to leave... the best part was that the lady on the computer next to her was deaf but had paid attention to everything and scored perfectly... and then wrote me a note that read "I'm deaf, but she can't listen!"

somehow laughing about it makes it more tolerable!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

your resident asshole

there's 3 of us who work the front half of the business... we routinely meet and giggle about the worst cases throughout the day to keep sane

the best was some chick who refused to get off her phone the whole time I was giving her instructions on what she needed to do despite the fact that I kept trying to get her to pay attention... she not only had to ask me what came after step 2 (step 3... there were even footsteps and arrows leading her there!) but she also decided that she didn't feel like reading the instructions on the skills test and missed almost everything and then pitched a fit about it and complained that nothing was explained to her even though everyone saw that she had had everything explained but ignored it... I refused to reset her and she had to leave... the best part was that the lady on the computer next to her was deaf but had paid attention to everything and scored perfectly... and then wrote me a note that read "I'm deaf, but she can't listen!"

somehow laughing about it makes it more tolerable!
    The bolded was brilliant.

You have a great attitude about the whole thing. I suppose many would just get used to talking to idiots, but it sounds horrible.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

The bolded was brilliant.

You have a great attitude about the whole thing. I suppose many would just get used to talking to idiots, but it sounds horrible.
    it's kind of like how cops, firefighters and emts develop a rather morbid sense of humor while working around crimes and accidents all of the time... when surrounded by idiots you learn to laugh when you can because otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair out

I've learned by now though that I have the power over how happy I am in the end, and that I might as well laugh when people are willfully stupid because the other option is to rip off their leg and beat them with it or perhaps to douse myself with lighter fluid and decide it's time for a smoke break!

your resident asshole

it's kind of like how cops, firefighters and emts develop a rather morbid sense of humor while working around crimes and accidents all of the time... when surrounded by idiots you learn to laugh when you can because otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair out

I've learned by now though that I have the power over how happy I am in the end, and that I might as well laugh when people are willfully stupid because the other option is to rip off their leg and beat them with it or perhaps to douse myself with lighter fluid and decide it's time for a smoke break!
    Hahahaha! Well it's great you think that way.

What else does your job entail besides the topic of this thread?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Hahahaha! Well it's great you think that way.

What else does your job entail besides the topic of this thread?
    mostly making sure that things are running efficiently and that people are doing what they are supposed to be at different points in time... also trouble shooting if something goes wrong and occasionally rescheduling people... I'm also the unofficial bouncer of the place most of the time and deliverer of bad news because I'm the one who it really doesn't bother to kick someone out or tell them bad news... which is kind of funny because I'm the shortest person there

garbage

Eh. From one perspective, perhaps we're all automatons and so we can't help but feel sorry for those who can't improve themselves, don't want to work, can't navigate the world, etc.

From another perspective, taking personal responsibility is a huge, huge virtue.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Eh. From one perspective, perhaps we're all automatons and so we can't help but feel sorry for those who can't improve themselves, don't want to work, can't navigate the world, etc.

From another perspective, taking personal responsibility is a huge, huge virtue.
    it is MUCH easier to have sympathy for the automatons who don't give a fuck when you don't have to deal with a good number of them on a daily basis! I didn't care nearly as much in the past because I didn't have to deal with something like 50 people a day who just don't care or take personal responsibility for their lives... when you deal with that number you start to really wonder about what happened so that so many people just don't care...

I wasn't raised in a household with a single cent to spare- my christmas presents as a kid were mostly handmade at home and I went to college because I got a full academic scholarship by working my ass off because I wanted out of the town I grew up in... one of those midwestern towns where the factories moved out and there wasn't much in the way of jobs unless I took a liking for industrial farms and minimum wage or marrying someone and playing housewife... I KNOW what it's like to look around you and not to see any opportunities and not to have been raised with any privileges... the boyfriend came from an even rougher background and worked his way up from there...

I just can't understand the other path people take from there... the complacency and contentment with not having shit and not giving one either... it mystifies me

yes, it's easy to look in from the outside and think "there, but for the grace of god, goes me" and have some sympathy, but when you're someone who worked their way out of nowhere and has to deal with a number of people on a daily basis who whine about not having shit but don't care to do a thing towards getting anywhere it is incredibly frustrating

I just want to understand WHY?!?!?

I think 50 years ago and before that you might have had people that couldn't have completed the skills test described in the OP yet might have developed other skills or even artistic abilities (I'm reminded of Norman MacLean describing mule packing as an art in one of his short stories about life in Montana). Yet, over the years with the rise of technology people without the ability to perform well on a computer test or fill out a form find themselves without a means to find a rewarding job. Moreover, even if they did pass the test what's the point? How much respect does our society have for people who stack boxes in warehouses? Who cares if you get really good at it? Who stays in one place long enough to get good at it? Sure they can get money to buy stuff, but there's little fulfillment as human being in that.

So you see for people without the basic skills required by our culture our culture doesn't provide ample opportunity or incentive to acquire them.

I don't even believe the tests measure actual productive ability, but rather the bare minimum required to work within our tech dominated culture. There is nothing productive about filling out forms, rather forms represent the soft despotism of regulations emanating from both the private and public sector.

If I recall right I believe that whatever is a Bourdain fan so I think you might know what I'm talking about. You see people in third world countries who might not have any of the abilities that we westerners value yet they have been cooking chicken or making dumplings in the same particular way for 50 years and they are damn good at it.

All that being said as a person who has a high appreciation for reasoning ability I would get very frustrated very quickly if I had to work with people like that every day. I just think it's sad that such people don't have a place in our society.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it