• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stupid people

yupitsme

MBTI Type
intx
A temp agency looking for warehouse help is hardly an accurate sample of the general public however ...

Idiots bounce around from job to job until they are found out and terminated but they often are working for another idiot so the process takes time. Somehow the system works by momentum and the half of the folks that are above average doing both halves of the workload knowing its the only way to get anywhere.

Sure they are a load on the system but the system seems to handle it.

P

Phantonym

we're an ADA (americans with disabilities act) compliant company, so if someone DOES have a learning disability it's my job to help them through the test in any way that still lets them think on their own... I must say that I enjoy being judged on that basis when you know little about it yourself though :newwink:

I don't care about your ability to perform your job. I have a problem with your attitude towards people who, for whatever reason, are asking for your help and failing despite of it. Just because you're in a better position in life and mental capacity, doesn't mean that you should mock them.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't care about your ability to perform your job. I have a problem with your attitude towards people who, for whatever reason, are asking for your help and failing despite of it. Just because you're in a better position in life and mental capacity, doesn't mean that you should mock them.

I have no problem being pissed off at willfully stupid people... those who can see just fine, have no problem using their smart phones or driving themselves there and can't bother to pay attention to the directions that point out that all of the answers to all of their questions are right in front of them AND being explained to them all of the time... fuck them- that's their fault that they're that dumb and can't do shit because they don't put in any effort... go work in a position where you have to deal with a lot of people like that on a daily basis and just TRY not to be frustrated :thelook:

and like I said, I have no problem with people who are a bit slow for reasons that aren't self caused by just not giving a fuck... I'll happily help them out because they're trying! :)

the idiots who don't care though? they just make everyone else's life more difficult because they have figured out that they can... and this applies to people of every color and background :thumbdown:

can't a person vent without being told that "they're not being nice?" :doh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nope not usually in the PC world where losers are coddled by the enlightened. Sorry. I feel your pain.

the funny part is that I fall towards the more liberal side of the dividing line politically... I believe in free education and higher education and in free or super low cost healthcare... I think that the school lunch program is awesome and that programs that are designed to help people get back on their feet after a layoff or injury or illness and things of that sort are great... I even believe in subsidizing childcare... however, I think all of these things are there TO GET PEOPLE ON THEIR FUCKING FEET SO THAT THEY CAN GET A JOB AND WORK TOWARDS IMPROVING THEIR LIVES! :doh:

however, I have nothing against calling a fucking idiot a fucking idiot either... they should quit being one if they want for me to refer to them in any other way :coffee:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I didn't read the whole thread because I am lazy, but I have a little story.

I had a sort of friend who seemed quite normal. He was a bit of a dork and all...maybe a little socially awkward, but that was it. In middle school, he would go to a place called "the learning center" or something like that where teachers helped him out. I didn't understand why because I didn't have any classes and he seemed perfectly normal to me. I just thought that maybe he was disruptive or something. Come senior year of high school, we finally had a class together. We were lab partners and I was astounded at how difficult it was for him. He had a little bit of a hard time remembering the things and a horrendous time with spelling and reading anything. Once he actually asked me how to spell "chin" because he said he forgot. It actually helped me because I was having to constantly re-teach him things. I'm guessing he is severely dyslexic and likely has other learning disorders. I felt bad because I realized how difficult college would be for him. He was planning to go to the local community college, but even that will be a struggle. There is a very real possibility he will just end up getting a nowhere job.

The point of it all is that he just seems so...normal. In talking to him you would have no idea how difficult he has it.

Granted, he is a bit of a rare case. I haven't run into others like him, but I'm sure there are those out there. I don't think of him as stupid...but I do believe many people in this world are. To me, stupid is choosing to remain ignorant when you are able to learn.

*edit* I just came to the post about you talking about dyslexia and disabilities, [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]. If people without these problems still can't pass a test like that...I just...it...

I really can't even conceive that level of stupid.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To me, stupid is choosing to remain ignorant when you are able to learn.

... and that's the category of people who's been pissing me off... people who are incurious and willfully ignorant enough to fail something that even the genuinely "special" people have no problem with once the directions are explained... why oh why would someone NOT want to better themselves? :huh:

/DG/

... and that's the category of people who's been pissing me off... people who are incurious and willfully ignorant enough to fail something that even the genuinely "special" people have no problem with once the directions are explained... why oh why would someone NOT want to better themselves? :huh:
I am still having a very difficult time getting over that post and even imagining this scenario. It...just seems so unreal. I don't....why....I can't....you.......

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6554]DisneyGeek[/MENTION] ...and that's the concept that started the thread... a deep desire to bleach my brain in fear that their idiocy might infect it :laugh:

I can't understand it... I tried but I can't and if I try any further my brain may rebel :shock:

/DG/

@DisneyGeek ...and that's the concept that started the thread... a deep desire to bleach my brain in fear that their idiocy might infect it :laugh:

I can't understand it... I tried but I can't and if I try any further my brain may rebel :shock:

How often do you interact with these people? I know stupid isn't supposed to be contagious...but I might be driven to insanity if I had to be in contact with them too often.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How often do you interact with these people? I know stupid isn't supposed to be contagious...but I might be driven to insanity if I had to be in contact with them too often.

there's 3 of us who work the front half of the business... we routinely meet and giggle about the worst cases throughout the day to keep sane :laugh:

the best was some chick who refused to get off her phone the whole time I was giving her instructions on what she needed to do despite the fact that I kept trying to get her to pay attention... she not only had to ask me what came after step 2 (step 3... there were even footsteps and arrows leading her there!) but she also decided that she didn't feel like reading the instructions on the skills test and missed almost everything and then pitched a fit about it and complained that nothing was explained to her even though everyone saw that she had had everything explained but ignored it... I refused to reset her and she had to leave... the best part was that the lady on the computer next to her was deaf but had paid attention to everything and scored perfectly... and then wrote me a note that read "I'm deaf, but she can't listen!" :cheese:

somehow laughing about it makes it more tolerable! :)

/DG/

there's 3 of us who work the front half of the business... we routinely meet and giggle about the worst cases throughout the day to keep sane :laugh:

the best was some chick who refused to get off her phone the whole time I was giving her instructions on what she needed to do despite the fact that I kept trying to get her to pay attention... she not only had to ask me what came after step 2 (step 3... there were even footsteps and arrows leading her there!) but she also decided that she didn't feel like reading the instructions on the skills test and missed almost everything and then pitched a fit about it and complained that nothing was explained to her even though everyone saw that she had had everything explained but ignored it... I refused to reset her and she had to leave... the best part was that the lady on the computer next to her was deaf but had paid attention to everything and scored perfectly... and then wrote me a note that read "I'm deaf, but she can't listen!" :cheese:

somehow laughing about it makes it more tolerable! :)

The bolded was brilliant.

You have a great attitude about the whole thing. I suppose many would just get used to talking to idiots, but it sounds horrible.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The bolded was brilliant.

You have a great attitude about the whole thing. I suppose many would just get used to talking to idiots, but it sounds horrible.

it's kind of like how cops, firefighters and emts develop a rather morbid sense of humor while working around crimes and accidents all of the time... when surrounded by idiots you learn to laugh when you can because otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair out :laugh:

I've learned by now though that I have the power over how happy I am in the end, and that I might as well laugh when people are willfully stupid because the other option is to rip off their leg and beat them with it or perhaps to douse myself with lighter fluid and decide it's time for a smoke break! :holy:

/DG/

it's kind of like how cops, firefighters and emts develop a rather morbid sense of humor while working around crimes and accidents all of the time... when surrounded by idiots you learn to laugh when you can because otherwise you'll end up pulling your hair out :laugh:

I've learned by now though that I have the power over how happy I am in the end, and that I might as well laugh when people are willfully stupid because the other option is to rip off their leg and beat them with it or perhaps to douse myself with lighter fluid and decide it's time for a smoke break! :holy:

Hahahaha! Well it's great you think that way.

What else does your job entail besides the topic of this thread?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hahahaha! Well it's great you think that way.

What else does your job entail besides the topic of this thread?

mostly making sure that things are running efficiently and that people are doing what they are supposed to be at different points in time... also trouble shooting if something goes wrong and occasionally rescheduling people... I'm also the unofficial bouncer of the place most of the time and deliverer of bad news because I'm the one who it really doesn't bother to kick someone out or tell them bad news... which is kind of funny because I'm the shortest person there :laugh:

G

garbage

Eh. From one perspective, perhaps we're all automatons and so we can't help but feel sorry for those who can't improve themselves, don't want to work, can't navigate the world, etc.

From another perspective, taking personal responsibility is a huge, huge virtue.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh. From one perspective, perhaps we're all automatons and so we can't help but feel sorry for those who can't improve themselves, don't want to work, can't navigate the world, etc.

From another perspective, taking personal responsibility is a huge, huge virtue.

it is MUCH easier to have sympathy for the automatons who don't give a fuck when you don't have to deal with a good number of them on a daily basis! :laugh: I didn't care nearly as much in the past because I didn't have to deal with something like 50 people a day who just don't care or take personal responsibility for their lives... when you deal with that number you start to really wonder about what happened so that so many people just don't care...

I wasn't raised in a household with a single cent to spare- my christmas presents as a kid were mostly handmade at home and I went to college because I got a full academic scholarship by working my ass off because I wanted out of the town I grew up in... one of those midwestern towns where the factories moved out and there wasn't much in the way of jobs unless I took a liking for industrial farms and minimum wage or marrying someone and playing housewife... I KNOW what it's like to look around you and not to see any opportunities and not to have been raised with any privileges... the boyfriend came from an even rougher background and worked his way up from there...

I just can't understand the other path people take from there... the complacency and contentment with not having shit and not giving one either... it mystifies me :shock:

yes, it's easy to look in from the outside and think "there, but for the grace of god, goes me" and have some sympathy, but when you're someone who worked their way out of nowhere and has to deal with a number of people on a daily basis who whine about not having shit but don't care to do a thing towards getting anywhere it is incredibly frustrating :doh:

I just want to understand WHY?!?!? :blush:

Beorn

Permabanned
I think 50 years ago and before that you might have had people that couldn't have completed the skills test described in the OP yet might have developed other skills or even artistic abilities (I'm reminded of Norman MacLean describing mule packing as an art in one of his short stories about life in Montana). Yet, over the years with the rise of technology people without the ability to perform well on a computer test or fill out a form find themselves without a means to find a rewarding job. Moreover, even if they did pass the test what's the point? How much respect does our society have for people who stack boxes in warehouses? Who cares if you get really good at it? Who stays in one place long enough to get good at it? Sure they can get money to buy stuff, but there's little fulfillment as human being in that.

So you see for people without the basic skills required by our culture our culture doesn't provide ample opportunity or incentive to acquire them.

I don't even believe the tests measure actual productive ability, but rather the bare minimum required to work within our tech dominated culture. There is nothing productive about filling out forms, rather forms represent the soft despotism of regulations emanating from both the private and public sector.

If I recall right I believe that whatever is a Bourdain fan so I think you might know what I'm talking about. You see people in third world countries who might not have any of the abilities that we westerners value yet they have been cooking chicken or making dumplings in the same particular way for 50 years and they are damn good at it.

All that being said as a person who has a high appreciation for reasoning ability I would get very frustrated very quickly if I had to work with people like that every day. I just think it's sad that such people don't have a place in our society.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
People who are perceived prematurely as being stupid such as Albert Einstein often end up turning the world on its head with groundbreaking and revolutionary ideas only a genius could have thought of, which means that what we are judging to be intelligence may be a misplaced idea of common sense. The stupid people therefore will be the greatest assetts to an advanced civilization that is progressing at unprecedented speeds, not to mention that they are not half as boring as the smart people who trust their practical American sense.

Albert Einstein was pretty much never perceived as stupid, he just started speaking a little bit later.