User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: stupid people

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Maybe it's dyslexia? Or what Viridian said. Way to go ridiculing people you know nothing about.
    Probably why I didn't use the term.

Other than that, if I were an employer, I would at least want someone who can do the job at hand of filling out a form because some mistakes can be costly to the employer and the employer would not always be there to look after these mistakes. As for job training, that part is understandable if it takes a while for an employee to get it. But again, there comes a point when an employer will just say that the person is not fit for the job.

The role of these things are to sniff out candidates for the job at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Probably why I didn't use the term.

Other than that, if I were an employer, I would at least want someone who can do the job at hand of filling out a form because some mistakes can be costly to the employer and the employer would not always be there to look after these mistakes. As for job training, that part is understandable if it takes a while for an employee to get it. But again, there comes a point when an employer will just say that the person is not fit for the job.

The role of these things are to sniff out candidates for the job at hand.
    I've definitely seen what you're talking about but to be honest by the time peoples fitness is in question they've climbed the ranks and are bosses of some description and well able to argue that it is not them but their junior or subordinate officers which are culpable for the decisions, prevailing practice and culture which has been created by stupid and self-serving decisions.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Maybe it's dyslexia? Or what Viridian said. Way to go ridiculing people you know nothing about.
    we're an ADA (americans with disabilities act) compliant company, so if someone DOES have a learning disability it's my job to help them through the test in any way that still lets them think on their own... I must say that I enjoy being judged on that basis when you know little about it yourself though

seriously though, it wouldn't annoy me so much if if I didn't have people who ask what comes after step 2 (it's step 3... which we have a clear path and arrows leading to it and I JUST EXPLAINED IT TO THEM!) or if people would look at what they were clicking as opposed to accidentally saying "yes" to "I've committed murder" so that I won't have to go into the system and fix it for them and instruct them on how to click "no" the next time

if you're applying for a job I would HOPE that you would put some effort into making sure you didn't screw up on something incredibly stupid, but this doesn't seem to be the case

for an example of the test

who wrote "to kill a mockingbird"?

a. orson wells
    b. f. scott fitzgerald
    c. harper lee
    d. judy blume
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    we're an ADA (americans with disabilities act) compliant company, so if someone DOES have a learning disability it's my job to help them through the test in any way that still lets them think on their own... I must say that I enjoy being judged on that basis when you know little about it yourself though

seriously though, it wouldn't annoy me so much if if I didn't have people who ask what comes after step 2 (it's step 3... which we have a clear path and arrows leading to it and I JUST EXPLAINED IT TO THEM!) or if people would look at what they were clicking as opposed to accidentally saying "yes" to "I've committed murder" so that I won't have to go into the system and fix it for them and instruct them on how to click "no" the next time

if you're applying for a job I would HOPE that you would put some effort into making sure you didn't screw up on something incredibly stupid, but this doesn't seem to be the case

a. orson wells
    b. f. scott fitzgerald
    c. harper lee
    d. judy blume
    Oh, hell. If that's what it's like, forget my previous post. That's inexcusable. Frankly, you should probably know the answer to that one without a graphic of the book.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Oh, hell. If that's what it's like, forget my previous post. That's inexcusable. Frankly, you should probably know the answer to that one without a graphic of the book.
    ALL of the questions are like that... it's not a test that actually requires knowing anything, only the ability to look at something and identify it... I'm fine with helping learning disabled people figure it out... hell, we have people who don't speak ENGLISH pass the test just fine! to make it worse I explicitly explain the directions first with a lot of examples directly from the test

I'm not being unreasonable about my bitching here...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I usually refrain from bitching about people who aren't all that bright because every crayon can't be the sharpest in the box and I've always suspected that even less "sparkly" people mentally have uses and talents... and no, this isn't type related in the least because I've seen dumbasses of every variety

I've been working the front end of a staffing agency lately getting people jobs in a warehouse... at the moment there's a high demand for the holidays so we've had at least 150 people a day come through the doors. Because I've been labeled both "high energy" and "not willing to take shit from anyone" I tend to work the front desk and the room where people answer questions on the computer screen and take a skills test. The skills test is constructed so that we can see if people can follow basic instructions, understand english (the job requires that) and can find and sort things.

And people still fail it

I'm not talking about people who can't speak english, which is a perfectly acceptable reason to fail a test that is designed to sort out those who don't... I'm talking people who have high school diplomas and work histories and such who can't pass a fucking matching test or can't figure out how to fill out a form that instructs you how to fill it out explicitly on it

Now, I've met a lot of dumb people in my life, but I'm kind of shocked and horrified that I have to turn away at least 50 people a day for not figuring out basic things as they are unable to work in a warehouse...

what do people like this DO with their lives? what goes through their minds? how has this great sub-section of society existed without me being aware of it (at least aware of the number of people who fall into it)? Do these people realize that they hurt normal people's brains with their idiocy? I'm just trying to figure this out... any input?
    Two thoughts on this - I have an (adopted) niece. It is very sad. She & her sister lived in cars before the system discovered her. At age 7 she did not know what a book was. Her IQ is in the bottom 3% I believe. You would never know it from talking to her, though. She has a great sense of humor. She is not an "airhead" so to speak. She did graduate from high school with a lot of help from special ed classes. She did work throughout high school in a restaurant. I think she would probably flunk the test you're describing. If you live in the Midwest, you may have helped her.

Having said that, I work in customer service and there are days that the idiots seem to come out in force. I really do feel your pain.
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessButtercup View Post
    Two thoughts on this - I have an (adopted) niece. It is very sad. She & her sister lived in cars before the system discovered her. At age 7 she did not know what a book was. Her IQ is in the bottom 3% I believe. You would never know it from talking to her, though. She has a great sense of humor. She is not an "airhead" so to speak. She did graduate from high school with a lot of help from special ed classes. She did work throughout high school in a restaurant. I think she would probably flunk the test you're describing. If you live in the Midwest, you may have helped her.

Having said that, I work in customer service and there are days that the idiots seem to come out in force. I really do feel your pain.
    I am in the midwest

and I'm willing to help people with learning disabilities... that's quite excusable and they generally thank me... "normal" people who are fucktards are kind of frustrating though... it's like they don't care

The US military has a test called the ASVAB for those looking to enlist. To enlist as infantry in the US Army, you have to score at an 8th grade level, at least. The recruiting station where I live had someone with a college degree in psychology take the test and fail to achieve an 8th grade level of comprehension. Because of this, not only can they not enlist, but they aren't mentally qualified to take orders and shoot a gun.

And apparently, this sort of thing happens frequently enough that when someone comes in looking to enlist they "discourage" them from expecting anything about a military career until they have taken the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Maybe they're afraid of making a serious mistake, even if they follow the instructions? Sometimes that's what paralyzes me when given simple tasks...
    Except they are being "tested"; mistakes are expected when being tested. What is there to worry about? You do your best and fail, then you have no regrets. You worry about making mistakes, don't do your best and fail, that's troublesome.

Either way, it still sounds stupid to me.

MBTI
    IsFJ

a. orson wells
    b. f. scott fitzgerald
    c. harper lee
    d. judy blume
    Hey, now. State exams in my country have taught me to eye easy questions with suspicion and fear...

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Except they are being "tested"; mistakes are expected when being tested. What is there to worry about? You do your best and fail, then you have no regrets. You worry about making mistakes, don't do your best and fail, that's troublesome.

Either way, it still sounds stupid to me.
    I didn't say it excused it...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I didn't say it excused it...
    Haha. Well okay then.