MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Your Itchiness May Be Caused By Neurosis

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...ch.html?ref=hp

"Personality tests suggest that the trait that best predicts susceptibility to contagious itch is neuroticism, not empathy, as some researchers have suggested."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

What?

NEUROSIS
    : a mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in a psychosis, does not result in disturbance of the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances (as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias)

NEUROTIC
    : of, relating to, constituting, or affected with neurosis (see neurosis)

I think somebody is using the wrong words.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    What?

NEUROSIS
    : a mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in a psychosis, does not result in disturbance of the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances (as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias)

NEUROTIC
    : of, relating to, constituting, or affected with neurosis (see neurosis)

I think somebody is using the wrong words.
    Then according to this study they'll just have to adjust their definitions.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Yeah, the editors of the article probably screwed up and slipped in jargon that they don't even know about.

They probably meant to say that it is neurological or something. Which it probably is.

Edit:
    It's in the paper too, so I take that back. They're referring to how it relates to neuroticism based on a scale of the psychological trait, and not neurosis as a disorder.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yeah, the editors of the article probably screwed up and slipped in jargon that they don't even know about.

They probably meant to say that it is neurological or something. Which it probably is.

Edit:
    It's in the paper too, so I take that back. They're referring to how it relates to neuroticism based on a scale of the psychological trait, and not neurosis as a disorder.
    A personality test doesn't test something neurological. So yes. And the only neuroticism scale I know of is on the MMPI, the official personality test used by psychiatrists. They also have a personality disorder test.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It comes as no surprise that neuroticism can cause brain malfunctions such as the sensation of itchiness as it can play many funny tricks upon our perceptions. The brain is the premature cause for all the suffering in the world as if it did not give us sensations of such powerful magnitudes we would be availed all pain! Why must the Creator allow such horrors to haunt our cursed existence?

MBTI
    INFJ

A personality test doesn't test something neurological. So yes. And the only neuroticism scale I know of is on the MMPI, the official personality test used by psychiatrists. They also have a personality disorder test.
    That has to be what they're talking about.

They did neuroimaging to see which regions of the brain fire up when this itch is experienced, and they correlated this data with the level of neuroticism based on degree.

They're presumably doing this with relatively 'normal' people and basing it on neuroticism as a fundamental psychological trait that everyone has to some degree.

My first reaction was thinking they were trying to say that contagious itch implies some form of neurotic disorder, which comes off as a bit absurd - but they weren't saying that after all.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That has to be what they're talking about.

They did neuroimaging to see which regions of the brain fire up when this itch is experienced, and they correlated this data with the level of neuroticism based on degree.

They're presumably doing this with relatively 'normal' people and basing it on neuroticism as a fundamental psychological trait that everyone has to some degree.

My first reaction was thinking they were trying to say that contagious itch implies some form of neurotic disorder, which comes off as a bit absurd - but they weren't saying that after all.
    Thank the Good Lord that they don't have to change their definitions after all.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ah... so THAT'S what they're calling meth now!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i didnt see the word neurosis on the article

MMPI isnt "the official test used by psychiatrist", the article is referring to the neuroticism scale on big5(there is no neuroticism scale on MMPI anyways, i think you are mixing it with big5).

the word neurosis comes from old misconception where they thought that the cause of neurosis was neurological. but still they arent talking about neurosis on the article.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read