• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Itchiness May Be Caused By Neurosis

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
What?

NEUROSIS
: a mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in a psychosis, does not result in disturbance of the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances (as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias)

NEUROTIC
: of, relating to, constituting, or affected with neurosis (see neurosis)

I think somebody is using the wrong words.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What?

NEUROSIS
: a mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in a psychosis, does not result in disturbance of the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances (as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias)

NEUROTIC
: of, relating to, constituting, or affected with neurosis (see neurosis)

I think somebody is using the wrong words.

Then according to this study they'll just have to adjust their definitions.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

Yeah, the editors of the article probably screwed up and slipped in jargon that they don't even know about.

They probably meant to say that it is neurological or something. Which it probably is.

Edit:
It's in the paper too, so I take that back. They're referring to how it relates to neuroticism based on a scale of the psychological trait, and not neurosis as a disorder.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the editors of the article probably screwed up and slipped in jargon that they don't even know about.

They probably meant to say that it is neurological or something. Which it probably is.

Edit:
It's in the paper too, so I take that back. They're referring to how it relates to neuroticism based on a scale of the psychological trait, and not neurosis as a disorder.

A personality test doesn't test something neurological. So yes. And the only neuroticism scale I know of is on the MMPI, the official personality test used by psychiatrists. They also have a personality disorder test.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It comes as no surprise that neuroticism can cause brain malfunctions such as the sensation of itchiness as it can play many funny tricks upon our perceptions. The brain is the premature cause for all the suffering in the world as if it did not give us sensations of such powerful magnitudes we would be availed all pain! Why must the Creator allow such horrors to haunt our cursed existence?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
A personality test doesn't test something neurological. So yes. And the only neuroticism scale I know of is on the MMPI, the official personality test used by psychiatrists. They also have a personality disorder test.

That has to be what they're talking about.

They did neuroimaging to see which regions of the brain fire up when this itch is experienced, and they correlated this data with the level of neuroticism based on degree.

They're presumably doing this with relatively 'normal' people and basing it on neuroticism as a fundamental psychological trait that everyone has to some degree.

My first reaction was thinking they were trying to say that contagious itch implies some form of neurotic disorder, which comes off as a bit absurd - but they weren't saying that after all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That has to be what they're talking about.

They did neuroimaging to see which regions of the brain fire up when this itch is experienced, and they correlated this data with the level of neuroticism based on degree.

They're presumably doing this with relatively 'normal' people and basing it on neuroticism as a fundamental psychological trait that everyone has to some degree.

My first reaction was thinking they were trying to say that contagious itch implies some form of neurotic disorder, which comes off as a bit absurd - but they weren't saying that after all.

Thank the Good Lord that they don't have to change their definitions after all.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ah... so THAT'S what they're calling meth now! :holy:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

i didnt see the word neurosis on the article

MMPI isnt "the official test used by psychiatrist", the article is referring to the neuroticism scale on big5(there is no neuroticism scale on MMPI anyways, i think you are mixing it with big5).

the word neurosis comes from old misconception where they thought that the cause of neurosis was neurological. but still they arent talking about neurosis on the article.