User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 134

  1. #71
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Wow. How very... American of you.
    @kyuuei has solid boundaries. It's a sign of maturity, as it's a higher brain (cortex) function. If one's cortex isn't functioning properly, they'll have some difficulty respecting others.

    And it's difficult to sustain happiness with weak boundaries. Just food for thought.

  2. #72
    Member Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    So let me ask you this:

    How would these people react if they were given their dreams?

    They might say God sent them these gifts, but would they be happier with them now then without them?

    I mean was that smile when they had nothing truly representing happiness?
    I feel like this is a philosophical question because you imply that having things equates to happiness. I am saying happiness is a mindset, a spiritual place- a journey to your death because each day we are closer to it. You cannot take things with you. Yes, you need to eat and survive - but to me- nourishment to the soul does not require anything material that anyone can take away from you. I am not saying I do not get sad, angry, frustrated etc. I do. But my sad periods do not last. Or I do not wallow in sadness. I put it in perspective as quickly as I can and try to find what the positive in my situation is. What the LESSON in my situation is. Perhaps God made me break my leg because he actually prevented me from having a head-on collision the next day and dying. It is the perspective that you view life that makes a big difference in your attitude and happiness level.

    I grieved a close loved one for many years. The first year was a grip of a constant state of grief. At times, I just wanted to be dead too- simply to be with my loved one because I missed him so much. But I pushed through this experience with my connection to the Almighty God. I accepted that this was my loved one's fate and that I did not have a choice in the matter. And I strived each day to overcome the sadness. And eventually I did.

    I guess I am asking people to just think about some of the things I'm saying here and try not to get so defensive about it. And if you are not spiritual or do not believe in a higher power- then we might be speaking two different languages- and further conversation on this topic is futile. And that's okay. But I state very confidently that a true faith in God keeps me in an overall state of happiness and optimism- even when faced with the most trying difficulties.

  3. #73
    Member Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Faith is not a choice. It is a delusion.
    And your position on the existence of God / faith is your choice and I respect that.

    My position is He absolutely exists- and when your mind, heart and soul open up to that possibility- He proves it to you in so many ways. It's my belief that when you keep your heart covered, you will never see the beautiful things that I have seen that have proven His existence to me.

    So that really ends further discussion on that topic with us- because I'm a person of faith and take a faith-based perspective to everything in my life. And you are not a faith-based person and feel faith is a delusion.

    So we part friends and that's that.

  4. #74
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    It's illogical, I know. I do/think a lot of illogical things.
    Ah, ok. As long as you know that. You presented the OP as if you were genuinely troubled by this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    It's a sign of maturity, as it's a higher brain (cortex) function. If one's cortex isn't functioning properly, they'll have some difficulty respecting others.
    It's the kind of argument a narcissist would make.

    That it appeals to you isn't surprising.

    I guess you understand that you just called racists mentally defective? If so, we agree on that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    So that really ends further discussion on that topic with us- because I'm a person of faith and take a faith-based perspective to everything in my life. And you are not a faith-based person and feel faith is a delusion.
    OK. But that wasn't my main point. My point is that faith is NOT a choice. If it were, I, for one, would choose it. Unfortunately, my mental powers are too acute and discriminating to afford me that luxury.

    You said happiness is a choice and used faith as support for that. If faith is not a choice then your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #75
    Member Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    OK. But that wasn't my main point. My point is that faith is NOT a choice. If it were, I, for one, would choose it. Unfortunately, my mental powers are too acute and discriminating to afford me that luxury.

    You said happiness is a choice and used faith as support for that. If faith is not a choice then your argument is invalid.
    I challenge that thinking as my mental powers are also quite acute and discriminating. I am a deep thinker with a sense of logic and reason. What some strong thinkers sometimes neglect though is to listen to their HEARTS. They think if they can only see it and touch it- that is the only true logic that makes sense. I challenge that unequivocally. You have as a human- and a smart human- even greater potential to understand beyond the logical limits you have imposed upon yourself. You see the world as concrete and fixed? (Or no?) I see it as an absolute illusion with possibilities that are endless.

  6. #76
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Ah, ok. As long as you know that. You presented the OP as if you were genuinely troubled by this question.

    It's the kind of argument a narcissist would make.

    That it appeals to you isn't surprising.

    I guess you understand that you just called racists mentally defective? If so, we agree on that much.
    OK. But that wasn't my main point. My point is that faith is NOT a choice. If it were, I, for one, would choose it. Unfortunately, my mental powers are too acute and discriminating to afford me that luxury.

    You said happiness is a choice and used faith as support for that. If faith is not a choice then your argument is invalid.
    Are you done?


  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    And your position on the existence of God / faith is your choice and I respect that.

    My position is He absolutely exists- and when your mind, heart and soul open up to that possibility- He proves it to you in so many ways. It's my belief that when you keep your heart covered, you will never see the beautiful things that I have seen that have proven His existence to me.

    So that really ends further discussion on that topic with us- because I'm a person of faith and take a faith-based perspective to everything in my life. And you are not a faith-based person and feel faith is a delusion.

    So we part friends and that's that.
    Wow, from a Ti perspective what I see is a vision steered by what you want. How do you know what is real? The prior vision or the post vision where he proves it to you in so many ways? I completely understand where you are coming from, but I dont think you have a clue. Its nothing more then controlling what you see by controlling what you believe. Its a method used to trick yourself into things and to control yourself. There is a fine line between faith and stupidity. Its not as black and white as you make it out to be. God is easy to put faith in because all your doing is playing with your mind. You decide what is god, what is the devil, what is what and it all caters toward what you want. If that keeps you happy its a choice.

    I get a kick out of "So we part friends and thats that"...love that godly "love thy neighbor"(being sarcastic)...this is the reason why I do not believe in all that crap...I really do not wish to have that mindset of "so we part friends and thats that"...I prefer the I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe, we can still be friends, I still want you by my side when I am on my death bed. I am damn sure god doesnt want to be the reason why people become distanced, thats a human trait in defense of your belief...definately not "godly" and if it is...the gods can kiss my ass. And yes...I know...I have the devil within me because I speak against GOD...LMAO. Sorry, I hold the people around me higher then I hold god. I am not saying none of it is true and God doesnt exist or even judging you on having faith, but people take it to "delusional" heights.


    edit: the most hilarious part of all..."I walk a similiar path of helping people, not being selfish, etc."..yet I keep getting pushed away by "people of god" because "your not in our click"...LMAO...yeah...very godly.
    Im out, its been fun

  8. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I challenge that thinking as my mental powers are also quite acute and discriminating. I am a deep thinker with a sense of logic and reason. What some strong thinkers sometimes neglect though is to listen to their HEARTS. They think if they can only see it and touch it- that is the only true logic that makes sense. I challenge that unequivocally. You have as a human- and a smart human- even greater potential to understand beyond the logical limits you have imposed upon yourself. You see the world as concrete and fixed? (Or no?) I see it as an absolute illusion with possibilities that are endless.
    One of my best friends is also a person of "faith"...I have a cross that she hung in my car because it made her feel better(until it broke, its still in my car, just not hanging). We have alot of the same beliefs(I know hard for some one to seperate beliefs and God). What this means is that I pick and choose what to believe as opposed to blind faith. I agree with alot of the stuff the bible and preachers preach, because they are beliefs. Faith is a belief all on its own and a double edged sword. I come from a "non-faith" perspective and she comes from a "faith" perspective. We end up at the same point though. Neither one of us puts it between us, we accept the other person for who they are and what they believe.
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #79
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I feel like this is a philosophical question because you imply that having things equates to happiness. I am saying happiness is a mindset, a spiritual place- a journey to your death because each day we are closer to it. You cannot take things with you. Yes, you need to eat and survive - but to me- nourishment to the soul does not require anything material that anyone can take away from you. I am not saying I do not get sad, angry, frustrated etc. I do. But my sad periods do not last. Or I do not wallow in sadness. I put it in perspective as quickly as I can and try to find what the positive in my situation is. What the LESSON in my situation is. Perhaps God made me break my leg because he actually prevented me from having a head-on collision the next day and dying. It is the perspective that you view life that makes a big difference in your attitude and happiness level.

    I grieved a close loved one for many years. The first year was a grip of a constant state of grief. At times, I just wanted to be dead too- simply to be with my loved one because I missed him so much. But I pushed through this experience with my connection to the Almighty God. I accepted that this was my loved one's fate and that I did not have a choice in the matter. And I strived each day to overcome the sadness. And eventually I did.

    I guess I am asking people to just think about some of the things I'm saying here and try not to get so defensive about it. And if you are not spiritual or do not believe in a higher power- then we might be speaking two different languages- and further conversation on this topic is futile. And that's okay. But I state very confidently that a true faith in God keeps me in an overall state of happiness and optimism- even when faced with the most trying difficulties.
    So what do you mean by having nothing, but still smiling?

  10. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    The question in the OP is too far outside of my understanding of logic and morality, that I cannot even answer it, because the terms of debate seem meaningless to me.

    One person's rights end where another's begin. rights are to do with relations between people, and concrete actions.

    Why do you need a "right" to feel a certain way inside yourself? It is nobody else's business.

Similar Threads

  1. What MBTI type do you think is the hardest to be?
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
  2. What MBTI type do you think is the EASIEST to be?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Which type gives you more cause to be afraid: the ENTJ or the INFJ
    By EricHanson in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
  4. Against the Law to be Fat in Japan?
    By heart in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
  5. What type do you aspire to be?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO