User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What gives anyone the right to be unhappy when there always someone worse off?

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

by the logic of the OP, why do all of those miserable fuckers in dire straits have a right to be unhappy when there's so much awesome stuff in the world?

what applies to one doesn't always apply to the other... I've been through some tough shit in my life and have hit points where I genuinely believed that the world would be a better place without me in it if I could find a way to off myself and make it look like an accident to insurance investigators. I'd had some pretty terrible things happen to lead me there... did I think that other people should feel miserable just because I was? no... I wanted them to go on with their lives and be happy and I think that a lot of people who've genuinely hit such a point think the same way from those I've discussed it with... why should my unhappiness cloud everyone else's lives?

live your own life... it's really all that you can do... be happy if you're happy- you owe it to yourself and those who aren't
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

The fact that it's relative.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The fact that it's relative.
    but what if it's your relatives who are making you unhappy?
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    but what if it's your relatives who are making you unhappy?
    Then you better object! (Hah. Hah.)

MBTI
    eSTP

The title has got to be one of the stupidest things I have heard. Everyone has the right to there own feelings. Sounds like a frickin emotional control freak on the loose. My opinion on how strong you are though will be based off of how much you can handle.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    The title has got to be one of the stupidest things I have heard. Everyone has the right to there own feelings. Sounds like a frickin emotional control freak on the loose. My opinion on how strong you are though will be based off of how much you can handle.
    I know it sounds stupid, but it's something that I've always felt a little guilty about.

Warning! Boring story below. Read at your own risk.
    I used to have a friend who would cry often. At one point, we were both in a situation where we were shunned by certain people. We were also forced to be around them and almost interact with them to a degree, so it was difficult to ignore them. Now, she had it a bit worse than me in that she was also openly mocked behind their backs and they were very rude to her. In addition, she is also battling a chronic (not life-threatening) illness and her family has financial issues. I had a few things said to my face, but otherwise I was not aware too much mocking behind my back (although I actually recently found out about a few things they said about me). Every so often, my friend would break down and cry...sometimes even in front of them. I would be angry at what they did too, but I wouldn't exactly show it. I would tend to feel bad for her and feel like she has much more to be unhappy about in life than me and that I didn't have the "right" to be unhappy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm with Jivinjeffjones on that one--I have every right to be happy even though people have much better situations than I do. I'm not responsible for the happiness, or lack thereof, of others, so I don't feel their weight the same as I feel my own. What triggers my happiness and unhappiness is different from others. If I spent all day dick-measuring everything and everyone in the world I'd find that I amount to nothing really. Nothing would matter. I wouldn't care if I got mistreated in the work place because there are women who cannot work. I wouldn't feel happy helping others because so many went without my help. I couldn't take any satisfaction out of sex because there are eunuchs in the world. It'd be a vast blob of nothingness and I'd be a robot and slave to my own contest.

Luckily, however, I don't compare myself to others, so I have a array of emotions at my disposal.
    Wow. How very... American of you.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I know it sounds stupid, but it's something that I've always felt a little guilty about.

Warning! Boring story below. Read at your own risk.
    I used to have a friend who would cry often. At one point, we were both in a situation where we were shunned by certain people. We were also forced to be around them and almost interact with them to a degree, so it was difficult to ignore them. Now, she had it a bit worse than me in that she was also openly mocked behind their backs and they were very rude to her. In addition, she is also battling a chronic (not life-threatening) illness and her family has financial issues. I had a few things said to my face, but otherwise I was not aware too much mocking behind my back (although I actually recently found out about a few things they said about me). Every so often, my friend would break down and cry...sometimes even in front of them. I would be angry at what they did too, but I wouldn't exactly show it. I would tend to feel bad for her and feel like she has much more to be unhappy about in life than me and that I didn't have the "right" to be unhappy.

Where do you get these ideas about the "rights" and wrongs of emotion?
    This is not an intellectual / ethical argument. It is a neurotic one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

A window to the soul

Pretty cool. I see a reframing of the mind trick. The question is a catalyst to happiness, when happiness is only an attitude adjustment away.

It's nothing to get alarmed about, folks. Happiness is win.

That's easy... there's always someone better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Where do you get these ideas about the "rights" and wrongs of emotion?
    This is not an intellectual / ethical argument. It is a neurotic one.
    It's illogical, I know. I do/think a lot of illogical things.