User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Your entire view of human suffering is disrespectful, so I reserve the right to use them as an example to counter your total apathy.

Your entire method is just masking pain in order to let everyone around the person go on with their lives like it's all Candy Land. Newsflash: life sucks. Everyone's life sucks. We're all fragile creatures struggling against insane odds where a confrontation with our own mortality is around corner. It's a right to be miserable. A person who society says "should" be happy is just someone who has material comfort which is totally unrelated to emotional pain and existential threat. A fluffy couch won't stop cancer, a Mercedes Benz won't stop your wife from getting shot in a bank robbery.

Beyond traumatic events, everybody has the right to have a shitty day. I do my best to always be smiling and to help make the days of people around me better, and even I have to take a day off sometimes.

To answer your question, my entire point, unlike yours, isn't what people should or shouldn't do. They can be miserable the rest of their lives if that's how they feel. Or even if you're right and we can all just snap our fingers and be happy, you have no right to tell them what to do. They can be angry about a new flavor of potato chips if they want, and you can't tell them they're wrong for it.

It's amazing to me how many people in this thread view themselves as the emotion police.

A person's inner processes are their own fucking business. Have we gotten that interested in each other that not even our emotional lives and thoughts are off limits? We don't need reasons for why we feel or don't feel. And as far as the question of the thread is concerned, human suffering is unrelated to material wealth. It's not a math equation. +10 comfort from a nice car doesn't offset a -4 from their doctor telling them they have high cholesterol.

DESPITE the fact they can go home in a cool car, they still have high cholesterol. Rich people suffer just like everyone else. In 2012, how is it still a question whether any human -- no matter their race, sexuality, or (for fuck's sake) economic status -- is as human as anybody else? We all blind, we all think, we all breathe, we all FEEL. Just as strongly as each other, give or take the variations of personality theory.
    I've experienced tragedy in my life. And I've experienced despair. And my spiritual belief is to have patience with every single thing life brings your way. And for each negative- 10 positives are given to you by God. Either here or in the afterlife- he is most merciful. So that is my take on life. And people are overly selfish and negative. They don't see the bigger picture and wallow in despair far too much. If they turned to their creator- they would not feel as sorry for themselves and have a victim mentality but rather give themselves to a higher power. Sorry that my opinion offends you. But it stands. (Not trying to offend you.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessButtercup View Post
    Why? Will my unhappiness improve their lot in life?

I believe that to have an attitude of happiness no matter what is a sign of great character.
    Not really. It just means you've put up a lot of walls...

My goodness, if I wait until sorrow and anguish and suffering are gone from this earth before I am happy, I will never be happy.
    And why would that be such a terrible thing ? Happiness is overrated. I find happy people insufferably dull. And rather scary. To live in denial is not much of a life, IMO.
    If it was possible to alter your brain (chemically/ structurally) so that you could never again be unhappy, there are people who would choose that... People lacking in character and depth.

Still, good for you. It's awesome that you're happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    lol Privilege I did not come from, I can assure you.
    My perspective comes from FAITH in a higher being. In the belief that this earth is an illusion and the real life is in the hereafter. People that have turned against their creator get sad and feel sorry for themselves. I have seen people with nothing SMILE. THAT IS FAITH.

Happiness is a choice. Attitude is a choice.
    Faith is not a choice. It is a delusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Not really. It just means you've put up a lot of walls...

And why would that be such a terrible thing ? Happiness is overrated. I find happy people insufferably dull. And rather scary. To live in denial is not much of a life, IMO.
    If it was possible to alter your brain (chemically/ structurally) so that you could never again be unhappy, there are people who would choose that... People lacking in character and depth.

Still, good for you. It's awesome that you're happy.
    Faith is not a choice. It is a delusion.

Beginning the count down now...

MBTI
    IsFJ

Well, this thread got into a whirlpool pretty fast...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

garbage

I'm surprised that there's no mention of hedonic adaptation.
    Brickman, Coates, and Janoff-Bulman (1978) used the idea of the hedonic treadmill to explain how people with a wide variety of resources or lack of resources can maintain similar levels of happiness. They showed that people readily adapt to their fortunes or misfortunes. Lottery winners, for example, may experience an initial emotional high, but report about the same level of happiness they previously held after time passed. Similarly, paraplegics reported below average levels of happiness for about two months on average after the accident but eventually returned to the set point they previously held.
    So those people that you think are much worse off than you might not be so bad off, at least in their own hearts and minds, after all.

This is but one perspective, though--it's not a solution, but it's a perspective to keep in mind. In our hearts of hearts we're still going to feel the weight of the human condition in a more general sense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I can understand not being neurotic about strangers welfare but to be honest human empathy should provoke some response.
    Human empathy causes me to want to DO something to ease suffering in the world. Most times, there is little I can do for starving children on the other side of the world, but much more I can do for the ones down the street. My energy would be better spent on situations I can actually affect, and directed toward where my efforts will have the greatest impact. Getting worked up over the rest is wasted energy.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm with Jivinjeffjones on that one--I have every right to be happy even though people have much better situations than I do. I'm not responsible for the happiness, or lack thereof, of others, so I don't feel their weight the same as I feel my own. What triggers my happiness and unhappiness is different from others. If I spent all day dick-measuring everything and everyone in the world I'd find that I amount to nothing really. Nothing would matter. I wouldn't care if I got mistreated in the work place because there are women who cannot work. I wouldn't feel happy helping others because so many went without my help. I couldn't take any satisfaction out of sex because there are eunuchs in the world. It'd be a vast blob of nothingness and I'd be a robot and slave to my own contest.

Luckily, however, I don't compare myself to others, so I have a array of emotions at my disposal.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    lol Privilege I did not come from, I can assure you.
    My perspective comes from FAITH in a higher being. In the belief that this earth is an illusion and the real life is in the hereafter. People that have turned against their creator get sad and feel sorry for themselves. I have seen people with nothing SMILE. THAT IS FAITH.

Happiness is a choice. Attitude is a choice.
    So let me ask you this:

How would these people react if they were given their dreams?

They might say God sent them these gifts, but would they be happier with them now then without them?

I mean was that smile when they had nothing truly representing happiness?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Human empathy causes me to want to DO something to ease suffering in the world. Most times, there is little I can do for starving children on the other side of the world, but much more I can do for the ones down the street. My energy would be better spent on situations I can actually affect, and directed toward where my efforts will have the greatest impact. Getting worked up over the rest is wasted energy.
    I dont believe it is wasted but I think you have a good point here. While I think its only fair that people can have a global outlook, their actions or sphere of influence is likely to be local or personal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont believe it is wasted but I think you have a good point here. While I think its only fair that people can have a global outlook, their actions or sphere of influence is likely to be local or personal.
    The distinction I am making is not so much global vs. local, as one of personal scope. No one of us can fix everything, or address even more than a small subset of the world's problems. We can make a distant or international need our cause, but then we won't have much left for local concerns. If everyone does something, though, every problem should have someone working on it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...