Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    There is many a time when people say that you have no right to feel unhappy because of the "starving children in Africa" or something similar.
    This raises an interesting point, though.
    because the assumption that one needs a justification for feeling a particular emotion is absurd. everyone feels dissatisfaction and frustration at times, it's part of being human.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

ReflecTcelfeR

I believe it to be an exercise of humility... Albeit a poor example to pronounce.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    I know, right?

Those relatives of 9-11 victims need to just suck it up already.

So people should grieve the loss of loved ones their entire lives and be miserable? That is more honorable than having a positive attitude in life and lifting people up? And moving on beyond sadness to productiveness?

I hate the "whoa is me" crap people love to wager on themselves and using 9-11 to get your point across is disrespectful to the victims of 9-11. That's my pinyin.

I think the right to either happiness or unhappiness is something that no one can interfer with or sanction and isnt likely to be responsive to any interference or sanction anyway.

The fact that some people have it worse is going to off set some peoples tendency to feel unhappy but to others its not going to matter, perhaps because of self-absorption or because what is being compared is apples and oranges.

A lot of the genuine cases of depression I've known wouldnt be releaved by plunging those same depressives into material hardship for instance, a lot of the time the symptoms of depression result in that or at least squalor when they occur in contexts in which material hardship isnt an issue to begin with.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

In an ideal society when one man suffers the whole city suffers and when one man feels joy the whole city feels joy since happiness is not perfect until it is shared.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    In an ideal society when one man suffers the whole city suffers and when one man feels joy the whole city feels joy since happiness is not perfect until it is shared.
    That was Marx's ideal, that the full development of each become the precondition to the full development of all.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I believe happiness is a choice. Attitude is a choice.
    Lol, yeah, right, tell that to the starving kids in Africa.

And while you’re at it, you might as well give them the book The Secret and tell them that with enough positive thinking and visualization that food will magically appear.

Your perspective is one of a person that comes from privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Lol, yeah, right, tell that to the starving kids in Africa.

And while you’re at it, you might as well give them the book The Secret and tell them that with enough positive thinking and visualization that food will magically appear.

Your perspective is one of a person that comes from privilege.
    May I ask - Are you implying that it is impossible to have a positive attitude when one is starving?
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessButtercup View Post
    May I ask - Are you implying that it is impossible to have a positive attitude when one is starving?
    No, but it makes it less likely. This is why I hate religion and people like Ghandi. ONE exception to the rule and suddenly that is the standard. Wtf? Some children who are beaten by alcoholic parents turn out ok I guess this means we get a free pass on showing them compassion as well I mean it's their responsibility to turn lemons into lemonade and of course we all endure trials in our life because as we all know getting molested as a child is the equivalent of daddy and mommy not paying enough attention to you as a child pfft
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessButtercup View Post
    Of course not, that would be logically stupid.

May I ask – have you ever endured extreme starvation, pain, and poverty for an extremely long period of time before? Go experience that first and then come back and tell me if happiness is as simple as making a choice. I read your above post, losing someone to death and overcoming grief is not the same thing as this; it’s not even in the same ballpark of difficulty.

What I quoted is a perspective that comes from privilege… it’s fluff… happiness is not as simple as making a choice. That perspective is in the same ballpark of nonsense as people that spout things like, “Love is all you need.” To hell with love, I don’t need that shit. I need food, water and shelter.

The clichés being used in this thread are fluff, they have no basis in actual reality, Princess.

Btw do you live in a castle?