User Tag List

First 123412 Last

I suppose if you base yourself off of others a lot, this would help, because you would have direct reason to feel better.

Consider a marathon, where runners train long and hard. Let's say the deviation between the fastest and slowest runner is 5 seconds and there are 100 runners. The slowest runner may realize that he didn't do much differently than the others and feel happy with his/her accomplishments. But on the other hand, he/she may only see the strict competitive ranking with other people and find that makes them unhappy to be on the bottom of rankings.

I guess it depends on where you stand philosophically, as to whether or not this would help?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

It’s an attempt to control someone with an irrelevant fact. Used against young people more then the old.

MBTI
    INFJ

The observation that somebody is always worse off can be a positive tool for encouragement, but when it is framed with 'what gives you the right to blah blah blah' it becomes a negative tool of fault-finding and tearing down others.

What gives anyone the right to comment about something like this in the first place?

My answer to that particular question is "I feel what I feel and I do what I do and I gives a jolly rancher fuck."

Watermelon, bish.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

I believe happiness is a choice. Attitude is a choice. I do think people have a tendency towards negatives behaviors like selfishishness and having a "me me me" mentality. Placing blame outside oneself. There is jealousy and worrying about what others have or are doing when they really should be minding their own business.

Yes- there are people pretty damn well bad off. And people that remain in a "whoa is me" mindset are a drag.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

My response to that usually goes something like this: "Great, on top of everything I was upset about, you've just reminded me there are children starving in Africa".

It's hard for me to understand this point. I can't even connect A to B. Why does the other person being miserable mean I shouldn't be? I don't really think happiness is that much of a deliberate choice, anyhow.

But how about this? Those starving kids in Africa should really cheer up, because there are people being subjected to entire lives of torture in North Korea. What brats!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Nothing gives you the right to judge a person based on the situation of another person.

It's an extremely short-sighted and fallacious attitude to directly compare a person's inner, emotional health to their material possessions. Beyond that, our experiences are unique, and it does nothing to ease our pain that another person has been in more pain before us. Unless we have a hive mind (which we don't), two peoples' experiences have nothing to do with each other.

If a person can have all the money in the world and still be miserable. To dehumanize them in that way boils down to sheer jealousy of what they have. You resent them for having a higher "standard of living" than you and you take it out on them by depriving them of their humanness in your eyes.

You're the lesser person for it.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I believe happiness is a choice. Attitude is a choice. I do think people have a tendency towards negatives behaviors like selfishishness and having a "me me me" mentality. Placing blame outside oneself. There is jealousy and worrying about what others have or are doing when they really should be minding their own business.

Yes- there are people pretty damn well bad off. And people that remain in a "whoa is me" mindset are a drag.
    I know, right?

Those relatives of 9-11 victims need to just suck it up already.

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I've always held the belief that to manage to be happy when others around you are not (and I mean this in a global sense) is an indication of something lacking in one's character.
    Why? Will my unhappiness improve their lot in life?

I believe that to have an attitude of happiness no matter what is a sign of great character.

When my son died last year I had to choose to overcome the grief. I know parents who lost children several years ago and they never got over it. My son died. I didn't. I choose life. And life means joy and happiness in spite of sorrow.

My goodness, if I wait until sorrow and anguish and suffering are gone from this earth before I am happy, I will never be happy.
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

Now, to answer the question of what gives anyone the right to be unhappy when there is always someone worse off?

We all have the right to be unhappy.

Period.

We do not have to earn it through sorrow or anything else.

We also all have the right to not associate with chronically unhappy people.

I will never tell somebody they do not have the right to be unhappy. I respect people far too much.
    Karmageddon - It's when, like, everybody is giving off these really bad vibes, and like, it makes that whole world explode, and that's like a real bummer.

WALMART

Galileo's principle of relativity.