User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default "We don't become less creative as we get older. Our creativity just gets more...

...specialized."

Would you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Recently, we had an art professor come into one of my classes. Although I found the content of his speech rather boring (art doesn't interest me), I greatly admired his passion for his work. I think he may have been an INFP. Anyway, he started talking about creativity and said something along the lines of the quote (I'm paraphrasing a bit) above. I hadn't really heard this perspective with creativity before. When asking most people, I find that they say that most lose their creativity as the age. Fewer say that we retain the same amount of creativity, but many don't like to use it (or something along those lines).

I'm one of those people who never felt I was creative and I'm also one of those who would say that I've lost my creativity over time. Now, if you were to ask me to do anything creative, it is very forced and unpleasant. There was a short time in my life where I would engage my imagination and make up stories, but that was a long time ago. I don't feel that my creativity has gotten more specialized, but I feel that it is simply gone. I hate trying to be creative.

Thoughts?

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

The brain changes when we age so it balances. Late adolescence - beggining of adulthood is when the lizard brain is suppose to calm down or something. I think the phrase 'looking to nothing' is good if you want to achieve creativity, just let the thoughts flow.

Its annoying to see teenagers challenge their predesseors, but it's okey. I know they just want candy.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

"We don't become less creative as we get older. Our creativity just gets more...
    ...specialized."
    That's like saying erections get more ''specialized'' as males get older.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    That's like saying erections get more ''specialized'' as males get older.
    Hahaha. I'm don't quite follow, but I'm not sure I want you to explain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    [...]but I'm not sure I want you to explain.
    You don't. :P

MBTI
    ENTJ

It's not that you're losing your creativity, it's that you are losing the desire for reward in activities traditionally seen as being creative, such as art and imaginative play. Since you're most likely an sj, with the functions si and fi, your creativity is most likely being used to understand social norms and understand the patterns and emotions of other people and yourself, an activity while seemingly perhaps not traditionally creative is probably actually utilizing the traditionally creative parts of your brain. You will therefore excel at at least understanding this behavior more than if you were a different type that would use their brain more for art and such.
    I read somewhere once that perhaps humans' greatest intellectual strength is actually not in our ability to think creatively, but rather the ability to copy other humans, since they already have so much of the puzzle figured out for us. As we get older we get better at figuring out where it's in our best interest to fill in the blanks with our own special brand of thought. I mean...is it really that creative to get the idea to slap some paint on a canvas when so many others have done it before? It seems to me like most artists and "creative people" are just following the mental schematics of paleolithic humans who copied each other ad nauseum in their creation of basic tools and weaponry, it's just that our standards for what is "useful" has changed to accommodate a wider variety of behaviors and creations due to the abundance of our society.
    You shouldn't think that you're not creative per se, just that you have different values in how to use your mind compared to the typical "artiste". Nor do people really lose their ability to think creatively as they age imo, it is more that they naturally lose their desire to think in those ways since it naturally separates them other humans and their social values and expectations. The human brain can only handle so much variation in thought compared to other people before becoming fearful of expulsion from the group etc and getting lost in the clouds, and as a person ages it becomes more and more obvious how the "typical" person behaves socially and so they expend more mental stamina trying to follow this norm. (except perhaps when developing alzheimer's, and apparently there is some sort of mental trimming process that occurs upon reaching adulthood, but i honestly doubt it's that extensive.)
    Research has shown the brain has an incredible ability to heal its functioning even when traumatically injured in adults, so with this in mind it just seems rather obvious the lack of creativity seen in most adults has more to do with lack of desire and fear of wasting their time due to not being exceptional more than anything else.

ReflecTcelfeR

Creativity exists insofar as your environment allows. As you get older it is presumed that you will pick a career to focus upon. As such your creativity becomes limited. Since this is how education is also structured this phrase makes complete sense.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

"....wacky, funky, conservative, liberal, sinister, holy...." Creativity, passion, love, faith, all manner of expressions of the soul exist outside of time because the soul exists outside of time. Only the body is a slave of time. So one might lose agility or capacity to think as quickly, but creativity would only be affected in this way.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    "....wacky, funky, conservative, liberal, sinister, holy...." Creativity, passion, love, faith, all manner of expressions of the soul exist outside of time because the soul exists outside of time. Only the body is a slave of time. So one might lose agility or capacity to think as quickly, but creativity would only be affected in this way.
    Until Al gets you.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ

Creativity isn't lost, it's killed. People get into a results oriented and structured life where somebody or some thing must direct them and tell them what to do. They lose their internal direction and only act by inertia caused by outside pressures.

We're already seeing kids - not adults, kids - who can't get their head around a game like Minecraft. In Minecraft the game drops you into a massive world where you can do what you want, and change everything, down to the last block of dirt and last flower, and it does so without a word. It has no plot and it has no purpose, but it has everything you need to do something amazing.

Yet some people can't get into Minecraft because it doesn't tell them what to do. They have no internal direction. They can't spontaneously move themselves to act, and they expect a purpose or an external call to do something. These same people can play a game where they are a part of a Special Forces unit which is ordered to go behind enemy lines and assassinate the enemy, and they love it because it's an outside directive telling them what to do and where to go, but if you drop them in a sandbox with no orders to follow they become lost and can't do anything.

There are a few however who can relearn how to give themselves internal direction and after a bit of adjustment, they take off when dropped into this situation and they don't look back.