User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ...specialized."

Would you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Recently, we had an art professor come into one of my classes. Although I found the content of his speech rather boring (art doesn't interest me), I greatly admired his passion for his work. I think he may have been an INFP. Anyway, he started talking about creativity and said something along the lines of the quote (I'm paraphrasing a bit) above. I hadn't really heard this perspective with creativity before. When asking most people, I find that they say that most lose their creativity as the age. Fewer say that we retain the same amount of creativity, but many don't like to use it (or something along those lines).

I'm one of those people who never felt I was creative and I'm also one of those who would say that I've lost my creativity over time. Now, if you were to ask me to do anything creative, it is very forced and unpleasant. There was a short time in my life where I would engage my imagination and make up stories, but that was a long time ago. I don't feel that my creativity has gotten more specialized, but I feel that it is simply gone. I hate trying to be creative.

Thoughts?
    In some ways the various bits of your brain are like the muscles of your body - they ware out as you get older, but the bits you use the most stay the freshest and most pliable. If you never done anything creative, then suddenly try to become an artist... Well, it's like trying to take up bodybuilding at 50 after a life time of dedicated couch potato excellence.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It can become more specialized, but also develop a broader perspective. Creativity that requires a physical attribute can diminish in its execution as we age, but the more abstract forms like writing or composing can definitely deepen. Those more abstract types of creativity can require life experience for many individuals to deepen. Even Mozart's music took on more emotional complexity as he aged, but not to say that child giftedness can't be incredibly deep in its own way.

This topic has many layers to it and there isn't a one-dimensional statement that could sum it up, but my comment pertains to some aspect of creative development.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ...specialized."

Would you agree or disagree with the above statement?

Recently, we had an art professor come into one of my classes. Although I found the content of his speech rather boring (art doesn't interest me), I greatly admired his passion for his work. I think he may have been an INFP. Anyway, he started talking about creativity and said something along the lines of the quote (I'm paraphrasing a bit) above. I hadn't really heard this perspective with creativity before. When asking most people, I find that they say that most lose their creativity as the age. Fewer say that we retain the same amount of creativity, but many don't like to use it (or something along those lines).

I'm one of those people who never felt I was creative and I'm also one of those who would say that I've lost my creativity over time. Now, if you were to ask me to do anything creative, it is very forced and unpleasant. There was a short time in my life where I would engage my imagination and make up stories, but that was a long time ago. I don't feel that my creativity has gotten more specialized, but I feel that it is simply gone. I hate trying to be creative.

Thoughts?

I think some of it might be due to environmental influences. When growing up, most of us have had moments where people (parents, teachers, etc.) told us things like "that won't work", "this is the right way", "it's not practical or feasible", "it's dumb", "it's a waste of time", etc. Such messages squelch the creative impulse.

I think kids growing up eventually learn that it's better to be a practical, results-oriented person and to eventually learn the "right" way to do something. So that could be why small children often seem to be the most creative as they've been exposed to less of the creativity killing messages.

To keep our creativity as we age, we need to unlearn some of our upbringing and realize that in many situations there isn't one right or best way to do something.

I think fear of failure plays a part too. Someone wants to write a story but is afraid that others won't be interested in it or enjoy it. Or try creating a piece of art and you can't get it to look the way you want it to.

I think people are creative in different ways. People see the stereotype as someone who's artistically creative but that's just one of the many ways to be creative. You can be creative by coming up with new theories to explain the phenomenon around you or even come up with a better way to organize your sock drawer.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Neurologically you become less apt to solve problems efficiently, but you become more adept at dealing with higher order abstract concepts that are more difficult to solve. I would say creativity increases it just becomes bounded by reality.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

ReflecTcelfeR

What's wrong with focus?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Creativity isn't lost, it's killed. People get into a results oriented and structured life where somebody or some thing must direct them and tell them what to do. They lose their internal direction and only act by inertia caused by outside pressures.

We're already seeing kids - not adults, kids - who can't get their head around a game like Minecraft. In Minecraft the game drops you into a massive world where you can do what you want, and change everything, down to the last block of dirt and last flower, and it does so without a word. It has no plot and it has no purpose, but it has everything you need to do something amazing.

Yet some people can't get into Minecraft because it doesn't tell them what to do. They have no internal direction. They can't spontaneously move themselves to act, and they expect a purpose or an external call to do something. These same people can play a game where they are a part of a Special Forces unit which is ordered to go behind enemy lines and assassinate the enemy, and they love it because it's an outside directive telling them what to do and where to go, but if you drop them in a sandbox with no orders to follow they become lost and can't do anything.

There are a few however who can relearn how to give themselves internal direction and after a bit of adjustment, they take off when dropped into this situation and they don't look back.
    I used to be an adventurer like you but then I took an arrow in the synapses.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Creativity isn't lost, it's killed. People get into a results oriented and structured life where somebody or some thing must direct them and tell them what to do. They lose their internal direction and only act by inertia caused by outside pressures.

We're already seeing kids - not adults, kids - who can't get their head around a game like Minecraft. In Minecraft the game drops you into a massive world where you can do what you want, and change everything, down to the last block of dirt and last flower, and it does so without a word. It has no plot and it has no purpose, but it has everything you need to do something amazing.

Yet some people can't get into Minecraft because it doesn't tell them what to do. They have no internal direction. They can't spontaneously move themselves to act, and they expect a purpose or an external call to do something. These same people can play a game where they are a part of a Special Forces unit which is ordered to go behind enemy lines and assassinate the enemy, and they love it because it's an outside directive telling them what to do and where to go, but if you drop them in a sandbox with no orders to follow they become lost and can't do anything.

There are a few however who can relearn how to give themselves internal direction and after a bit of adjustment, they take off when dropped into this situation and they don't look back.
    A drive to act has nothing to do with ones ability to be creative. Without it they cannot act or have the possibility, but that does not mean they won't be creative.

They can't build something in a virtual world, therefore they aren't ever creative, or capable of being creative?...... I feel like I shouldn't have to explain why this assumption is wrong.

Creativity is over. When everyone and their dog is creative, we know creativity is over.

In fact creativity is now the content of presence. Yes we are now present on the electric telegraph, the telephone, the radio, the television, and the internet.

And the content of our electric presence is creativity. Yes, it is only the literate individual who is creative, and now the literate individual is the content of the electric media.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    A drive to act has nothing to do with ones ability to be creative. Without it they cannot act or have the possibility, but that does not mean they won't be creative.

They can't build something in a virtual world, therefore they aren't ever creative, or capable of being creative?...... I feel like I shouldn't have to explain why this assumption is wrong.
    It's just an example of the seed that creativity is, being able to initiate autonomously. Without that internal 'spark' that allows spontaneous initiation, one is not creative, whether it's in art, science, or whatever. Experience shows me that the same are not creative anywhere else either.

I'm not referring to people who just might not be good at this but are creative elsewhere. They aren't creative anywhere - they can only emulate and respond to things. It's not that they don't want to do this either, they can't, which is shown by the fact that some want to but must ask people to direct them.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Creativity is over. When everyone and their dog is creative, we know creativity is over.

In fact creativity is now the content of presence. Yes we are now present on the electric telegraph, the telephone, the radio, the television, and the internet.

And the content of our electric presence is creativity. Yes, it is only the literate individual who is creative, and now the literate individual is the content of the electric media.
    My cousin was illiterate, but made his own system for recording things on paper and came up with his own way of handling money also. He just did it himself out of necessity because he had some kind of problems in his brain that wouldn't let him read or count normally. It was unprecedented and nobody could teach him this, he invented it.

Creative and also practical.