User Tag List

123 Last

Default Wasting your life...

My definition of wasting my life: not enjoying my life as in living comfortable and doing what I enjoy.

My reason is that I live in an undeveloped country and my family is poor. Which causes me to be unable to live comfortably. Also unable to make money, as making money requires an investment which I don't have. That, of course, excludes horrible ways of making money, such as horrible jobs. An anyway, those jobs only pay enough to pay for living expenses.

In short, I feel like I've wasted over 20 years of my life and I'm continuously am wasting it, AND I'm likely to continue wasting it in the near future. Which, to me, feels horrible. I've plans how I can stop wasting it, but they all include factors that will happen but I can't influence them. They can happen today or in a year, but when it does happen, I'm ready for them and I know exactly what I'm gonna do then, step-by-step, both in the worst-case and best-case scenario.

P.S. To those who're gonna look at this as in "you can do something and yet you don't," that's true. Reasons for this are stated in the second paragraph and it contains little detail, which means that you shouldn't make a strong judgement based on that. The possibilities that I'm aware of usually result in a conclusion that says "it's a waste of time, nothing good will come out of it in the long run, nor short-term."

So any of you feel like you're wasting your life? If so, describe it - how are you wasting your life? Why are you wasting it? Are you doing anything to change the situation?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

So any of you feel like you're wasting your life? If so, describe it - how are you wasting your life?
    Yes. By reading this thread.
    Why are you wasting it?
    I was hoping to see a plan to change the situation, not loads of moaning.
    Are you doing anything to change the situation?
    Yep.

@Rasofy Is that because you don't agree with my definition of "wasting one's life?"

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    My definition of wasting my life: not enjoying my life as in living comfortable and doing what I enjoy.

My reason is that I live in an undeveloped country and my family is poor. Which causes me to be unable to live comfortably. Also unable to make money, as making money requires an investment which I don't have. That, of course, excludes horrible ways of making money, such as horrible jobs. An anyway, those jobs only pay enough to pay for living expenses.

In short, I feel like I've wasted over 20 years of my life and I'm continuously am wasting it, AND I'm likely to continue wasting it in the near future. Which, to me, feels horrible. I've plans how I can stop wasting it, but they all include factors that will happen but I can't influence them. They can happen today or in a year, but when it does happen, I'm ready for them and I know exactly what I'm gonna do then, step-by-step, both in the worst-case and best-case scenario.

P.S. To those who're gonna look at this as in "you can do something and yet you don't," that's true. Reasons for this are stated in the second paragraph and it contains little detail, which means that you shouldn't make a strong judgement based on that. The possibilities that I'm aware of usually result in a conclusion that says "it's a waste of time, nothing good will come out of it in the long run, nor short-term."

So any of you feel like you're wasting your life? If so, describe it - how are you wasting your life? Why are you wasting it? Are you doing anything to change the situation?
    I'm not wasting my life, sometimes you have to take survival jobs too, its more important to be productive and socially interact with others than avoid work and spend your time in inertia.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Rasofy Is that because you don't agree with my definition of "wasting one's life?"
    No. Because you seem to be resigned relative to the fact that you are wasting your life - that's what's lamentable.

My definition of wasting a life is pretty different:
    not improving myself physically, intellectually and emotionally
    not working towards my goals
    giving reasons for people to feel pitty for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not wasting my life, sometimes you have to take survival jobs too, its more important to be productive and socially interact with others than avoid work and spend your time in inertia.
    Here's the way I look at it:

Survival job here means enough money to pay the bills and buy very basic food (assuming it's not the winter, then it's not even enough to pay the heating bills). Therefore - zero monthly savings. Survival job generally means a job you do not like or even hate. Often it also means a job that won't improve you, instead it may even dumb you down. People working those jobs usually are useless (talking to a friend for a good position somewhere, etc.), and if you don't enjoy the "manly" and small-talk - they are useless as friends as well (maybe not everywhere, but over here they are, I've had a chance to interact with a lot of people working those jobs through an ex-friend).

From that I conclude that it is not productive, instead it's counter-productive and can even be harmful both physically and especially mentally.

Here's the way I look at it:

Survival job here means enough money to pay the bills and buy very basic food (assuming it's not the winter, then it's not even enough to pay the heating bills). Therefore - zero monthly savings. Survival job generally means a job you do not like or even hate. Often it also means a job that won't improve you, instead it may even dumb you down. People working those jobs usually are useless (talking to a friend for a good position somewhere, etc.), and if you don't enjoy the "manly" and small-talk - they are useless as friends as well (maybe not everywhere, but over here they are, I've had a chance to interact with a lot of people working those jobs through an ex-friend).

From that I conclude that it is not productive, instead it's counter-productive and can even be harmful both physically and especially mentally.
    What you're describing I cant agree to, all the great works of literature have recognised that lack of human contact and isolation bring more costs than benefits or cause more harm than good, from Frankenstein right through.

I think earning money is important, no one should refuse any work which is available and they can all be enriching, depending on how you choose to use the time. It can be counterproductive but it need not necessarily be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What you're describing I cant agree to, all the great works of literature have recognised that lack of human contact and isolation bring more costs than benefits or cause more harm than good, from Frankenstein right through.

I think earning money is important, no one should refuse any work which is available and they can all be enriching, depending on how you choose to use the time. It can be counterproductive but it need not necessarily be so.
    I get plenty of social contact online. Of course it isn't the same as real-life, but isn't a priority for me.

You can't choose how to use your time at work. Especially when there's few choices of where you can work, and especially when in most cases you are required to work overtime.

The rest of your time - yes, it can be enriching. However, you have 10 extra hours (if not more, depending if it's far away from home) at your disposal to use for enrichment if you don't work.

I get plenty of social contact online. Of course it isn't the same as real-life, but isn't a priority for me.

You can't choose how to use your time at work. Especially when there's few choices of where you can work, and especially when in most cases you are required to work overtime.

The rest of your time - yes, it can be enriching. However, you have 10 extra hours (if not more, depending if it's far away from home) at your disposal to use for enrichment if you don't work.
    I dont know many people who prosper by not being at work, I also hail from a time in which the idea that you get "social contact" "online" would seem, rightly so I believe, ridiculous and to someone who is extroverted as I am it wouldnt ever be sufficient.

Most of the people I've known who agonise about their free time but work a hard and full day actually spend the time remaining to them much better than those who are unemployed and idle and as a result treat one hour the same as the next because, well, it is.

How could you possibly know the value of a day off when you've never experienced the lack of the same? This is a generational thing too, no ability to defer gratification or even think too hard about that, growing up I experienced seasonal gift giving for instance, if I wanted something I waited until my birthday or christmas, sometimes christmas the following year, when the things I'd wanted last year were reduced in cost to something more affordable, I dont know a lot of kids who have an experience like this anymore.

WALMART

I enjoy the fuck out of every day I take. I reckon I'm not wasting it.