• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think that Fe types look more into how you talk and sensors look more at how you act.

What makes you think this?

Well it appears we are going off topic. :p

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
read op so more specific advice. Often if you don't speak to your coworkers the others can feel it implies that you do not consider them worth speaking to/getting to know. This is seen as not caring about them as human beings because of you view yourself as better than them. Hands in pockets is not necessarily a sign of that on its own, but in conjunction with other signals can be taken as disdain/lack of interest. You may wish to evaluate when you are getting this feedback (perhaps there are other things going on that could explain it just as well that the other person would not be aware of/that you do not feel comfortable revealing). If this is your attitude, then perhaps it is time to grow.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
F implies connection, S implies traditions, according to the MBTI.

Indeed we are, therefore we should stop sometime soon. :D

I thought that Fe implied connection and Si implied tradition. However, I disagree with the "tradition" thing. How does this explain younger people always wanting to go against the grain?

Hmm...shall we continue this in a PM?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm gonna be honest with you (which means that I'm not writing this to offend you) - this is one of the stupidest interpretations I've heard in my life of such behavior. This has been said to me a lot, especially when I was younger due to the fact that I was very shy and quiet. It is, however, true to some people. I've a family member to which it is true - as I was a kid, I used to spend time with him (he's a carpenter). I remember him annoying me a great deal as he required to do things his way, other ways were simply "wrong," even if they were more efficient and even increased the quality of the end-product. He often used to say that he's better than me, and now, when I meet him on some occasion, he often says that he's better than everyone else. His argument - he lived through a lot. He's an ISFJ.

I felt similarly. Unfortunately there are many people who interpret this behavior similarly. I worked in construction so I was always running up against this perception and it's the main reason I left. Unfortunately you cannot control how other people choose to perceive you, but you can alter that perception through alternate behavior. Though it may sound cliche others will often interpret you in the way that is easiest for them to conceive of you. Often this involves signalling that their interpretation is incorrect by acting in a way that they interpret as positive and that they have come to not expect from you. If you do not do this you may continue to encounter similar frustrations in the future.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting posts.

I think that it can look that way to fearful people - intimidating, and they can project their hatred, insecurities, fears, etc., on that person as they do not know the real reason behind it. And in this case, there was no other cues.

The main solution to such issues is to be actively engaged with the people you're meeting. Open up a bit, don't "force" your smile, and let them interact with you. Wanna know how to do this as an introvert or quiet person? Just ask questions that indicate you're paying attention, then listen. Suddenly, no one will think you arrogant, because you listen to them, and you prove that you listen to them. Kind of tiring, but at least you don't have to say much: most people like talking about themselves.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The main solution to such issues is to be actively engaged with the people you're meeting. Open up a bit, don't "force" your smile, and let them interact with you. Wanna know how to do this as an introvert or quiet person? Just ask questions that indicate you're paying attention, then listen. Suddenly, no one will think you arrogant, because you listen to them, and you prove that you listen to them. Kind of tiring, but at least you don't have to say much: most people like talking about themselves.

Yeah that's what I do. It seems that some people think I'm good to talk to. If someone is talking to me I give them my attention and won't stop them, even if I don't want to be there. I just give it a minute and start to relax and eventually I don't even mind listening to them if they go on for an hour.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
F implies connection, S implies traditions, according to the MBTI.
Strongly disagree. Fi is often the opposite of connection and Se is often the opposite of tradition.

To answer the question, I usually walk with hands in pockets and miss them if I don't have any. I don't think I really notice what other people do, and have never thought that it reflected anyone's personality. :shrug:

On the other hand, you can get a decent idea of personality from overall body language, but that's not really based on tradition at all.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a very closed off person. I like putting my hands in my jacket pocket. Dont really put them in my jeans pockets. I cross my arms frequently as well. I dont talk to people much. Those that know me know I am very friendly, nice, caring, etc. I am just very quiet and closed off to most of the world. I cant tell you how many people say "You dont talk much" to me and I simply respond "Nope".