User Tag List

Default Why does "Grown Up" have negative connotations?

I have observed that many young adults shy away from the label "grown up" or "adult" and I don't really see why. I think being able to relax and have a good time are essential to well being and happiness - you would go crazy if you were all business, no party. But why do people in their 20s or even 30s say things like "I'm not an adult" or "when I grow up..." etc, as though being an adult were something negative?

It is possible to take responsibility for your life and your role in the world while still having a good time. I really admire maturity in thought and action.

I guess it is a rant or something.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

"Grown up" is sometimes used as a euphemism for "just another cog in the system."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I have observed that many young adults shy away from the label "grown up" or "adult" and I don't really see why. I think being able to relax and have a good time are essential to well being and happiness - you would go crazy if you were all business, no party. But why do people in their 20s or even 30s say things like "I'm not an adult" or "when I grow up..." etc, as though being an adult were something negative?

It is possible to take responsibility for your life and your role in the world while still having a good time. I really admire maturity in thought and action.

Grown up means what the Swedes call myndig.
    Officialdom/authority. In Swedish: myndighet.

EU money is in the North of Europe?
    It is in the South.
    Is the money available to the myndighet/tax collector?
    It is not.

If the money were available to the tax collector, the South would go under.
    What would happen if the South went under?
    The North would collapse. The economists know it.
    So why they do not speak out?

Debit is credit.
    Myndighet looks at figures that don't exist.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

I was never in my twenties or thirties by that measure.

I do think there's crisis in responsiblity and conscientiousness, particularly social conscience, but I see that as part of a more general maturational crisis which is more unconscious than conscious with a bunch of corresponding structural and cultural unintended consequences.

Although its interesting that you come at it from the personal/observational angle, what is your MBTI?

MBTI
    STP

Dont feel like sugar coating things this morning. Because people willjudge somwthing based on what they think about it at that time. So in one instance it will have a negative connotation and in another instance it will have a positive connotation. Peoples judgements are short sighted that way and flip back and forth based on what they want.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

Dont feel like sugar coating things this morning. Because people willjudge somwthing based on what they think about it at that time. So in one instance it will have a negative connotation and in another instance it will have a positive connotation. Peoples judgements are short sighted that way and flip back and forth based on what they want.
    Im out, its been fun