• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ps do you make to-do lists?

gromit

likes this
I know the stereotype is of Js doing this. I do it to help me remember things that I might forget otherwise but which are very important. Sometimes write it on my hand if it is very very important.

I was wondering if other Ps do it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not a P (obviously) but the Ps I know -- especially my INTP dad and ENFP friend -- constantly make to-do lists. They probably make them more often than I do, make them more effectively than I do, and stick to them better than I do. I think it's because even though I naturally have a to-do list in my head all the time, they don't, so they've had to train themselves to work that way?

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, but I make shopping lists due to fail si.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm bad at it. I've gotten so bad at it, that I've put important things on my phone's calendar. I only do to-do lists at work, and I can sometimes dismiss it.
I've stopped doing it for anything other work because I will neglect it/forget about it. I sometimes literally need a to-do list to look at my to-do list, and then a to-do list to actually follow through with my to-do list.

I just remembered that I have an overdue library book I meant to return a week ago. It was on my phone's calendar, but after it popped up I became distracted and forgot about it...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yup, I do it all the time, and have for a very long time.

I can't say the lists always get done, but I find that most Ps make lists!

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pretty much never for me.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Only in threads like this...

On my to do list;

Go to gym
Find Kirsty money

W

WALMART

Yes, and I never use them after that. I prefer to think the act of creating them solidifies the facts in my mind.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I do keep sort of an evolving list of stuff not to forget about. I don't know if it's exactly a "to-do" list. More of a "don't fuck up" list.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ LOL. I know what you mean.

I would argue Ps do this more than Js. I think because Js are more systematically minded, they are able to mentally create and order a list, whereas Ps struggle to juggle those things in their head alone. Personally, if I have several things to do, I feel stressed, anxious and out of control because I'm having to force my (naturally non-linear) brain to work methodically. I need to write stuff down to make sense of it.

Also my memory is crap.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, and I never use them after that. I prefer to think the act of creating them solidifies the facts in my mind.

Same here. If I write something down, I'm not going to forget it even if I don't look at it again. I use this method to study as well.

I will mark up my iCal like crazy. I need it...I have OOSOOM in a bad way.

Permabanned
I have an imaginary to-do list that I just use to chalk things into that I find interesting to check in the future. Unfortunately I seldom do, as the checking is usually also chalked up in there. :thinking:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, I generally free myself from obligations quite quickly so that I have nothing to do. Besides from that I am pretty good at self-organisation thats why I often thought I am a J in the past. People in the past often has put me in charge to manage things, cause I am quite easy going and still care a lot that things get done.

My boss at work tho and my boss at home, as in gf, forced me to make a to-do list, so they can keep track of what I am planning. That was quite evil of them. :)

Mole

Permabanned
What not to do makes better sense for me. So when something goes wrong, I say it is a mistake, and I learn not to continue to make the same mistake.

And I remember my mistakes so I don't have to write them down, and if I forget them, I bump my nose against them to remind myself once again.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I do make shopping lists sometimes because if I dont I wont ever get the everything I needed from the store. Now I dont remember the list half the time, then the other 75% of the time I dont write down a list so maybe 12.5% of the time I have a list though that number seems high. I can make 3 trips to walmart in a day :shrug: My memory is half-baked and shot.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I almost never make to-do lists. Notable exception: packing, which I suppose could be considered to-do (bring pants!).

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, it's generally so I don't forget to do anything.

I do keep sort of an evolving list of stuff not to forget about. I don't know if it's exactly a "to-do" list. More of a "don't fuck up" list.

This describes it pretty well. :laugh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te makes me :cry:

Then Fi helps me go :2up: and I forget instantly about the list :D

Ne appreciates Te kicking me in that way though. It does help to solidify those things that are vital.

gromit

likes this
Then Fi helps me go :2up: and I forget instantly about the list

Can you elaborate on that? For me, Fi is what makes me make the list in the first place, because I care enough not to want to forget whatever it is I am writing down.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you elaborate on that? For me, Fi is what makes me make the list in the first place, because I care enough not to want to forget whatever it is I am writing down.

I have a rebellious streak wrt being told what to do. It goes so far that when I tell myself what to do, I also occasionally :2up: at it. It is highly inefficient and impractical but I haven't found the offswitch yet :sorry:

From what I can tell, it stems from that Fi-value of refusing to be controlled/give up my freedom. Even if I can logically justify it to myself, if I don't *feel* it in that moment, I can really trip myself up that way :doh: