User Tag List

View Poll Results: Rate your understanding of psychology compared to the average member of this forum

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

7 36.84%
  • My knowledge of psychology is about average for this forum.

7 36.84%
  • I am less knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

5 26.32%
12 Last

Default Rate your understanding of psychology compared to the average member of this forum.

I am curious.

Poll is public.

Edit: It seems I forgot to check that option. Since people voted already with it private, I guess we'll keep it that way.
    Last edited by ygolo; 10-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

garbage

I'd rate mine as above average, but only because it's a huge part of what I do for a living. This forum, though, likely has a better understanding than the general populace.

Although, I know enough psychology to know that (a) experts tend to rate themselves as less 'experty' as they really are because they're aware of what they don't know, (b) most people tend to rate themselves as above average in a lot of areas, and as a tangent, (c) mathematical linear models often significantly outperform experts in appropriately combining appropriate variables.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I am less knowledgeable about psychology than the average member.

I am more knowledgable about psychology though than the average individual in real life.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Poll is public.
    ?

Is this an experiment?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Poll is public.
    So 2 and 3 are out of the question

I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    (c) mathematical linear models often significantly outperform experts in appropriately combining appropriate variables.
    They also often compartmentalize fallaciously.

garbage

Wait, did I actually say "appropriately combining appropriate variables"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    They also often compartmentalize fallaciously.
    Yup. I'll have to be more specific--compartmentalization (categorization, ranking, etc.) is basically their strength, and they probably shouldn't be used for much else.

They do a better job of combining appropriate attributes of entities/objects once those attributes are identified in order to find rank orders or categories of entities based on those attributes--whether or not to let certain students in to such-and-such a program, how well such-and-such a thing will perform compared to another, and so on.

'course, this is all a side tangent to the OP, but the last thing I'll mention is that Robyn Dawes has pioneered some amazing research that basically shows just how terrible we humans are at combining multiple variables in our heads.

MBTI
    yupp

I said average cuz i don't know the knowledge of the average member i know the knowledge of the loud boisterious members but that doesn't account for the quieter members
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

your resident asshole

Poll is public.
    ?

It doesn't appear to be...

At any rate, I'm probably less knowledgeable than most members here on most topics. Although I probably know more about psychology than the average American citizen, you people here all appear to be much more intelligent and knowledgeable than me. Basically what RaptorWizard said.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

There are many types of psychology. Are you refering to typology? Because technically that counts as psychology, but it isn't really.