• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Separating yourself from your person.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The idea of separating your individuality from your thoughts. Becoming absolutely unfeeling as another person. You stay outside your person. No rationale exists and one is consumed by a state of constant perception. Knowledge gained by perception and restructured to form a system that works well for the individual to process themselves through life. A lot of you might say you do this... I imagine there are nodes of time an individual would work in the similar way but it is unlikely a part of a constant natural process of mind. If you do this when do you do it, and how often do you do it?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
what you have described is very close to what i experience when i slip into a meditative frame of mind (what some call "day dreaming", others dissociative thought, others mediation).

i would not have phrased my experience of this it as you did—i would have painted another picture altogether—but what you wrote is technically something i experience frequently and is a frame of mind i have learned to prolong once the familiar ebb and flow has washed over me, removing conscious individuality. is it "absolutely unfeeling"? i suppose, yes: no feeling is present. and it is from this place that i make most of my most important personal discoveries and grasp things of a particularly subtle nature.

i previously had no control over when i fall into this state, but yoga has a way of triggering this frame of mind. a calm shower, or swimming in the ocean, as well. and i do not need to be alone to do this, but when i do i forget i am in someone else's presence altogether.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what you have described is very close to what i experience when i slip into a meditative frame of mind (what some call "day dreaming", others dissociative thought, others mediation).

i would not have phrased my experience of this it as you did—i would have painted another picture altogether—but what you wrote is technically something i experience frequently and is a frame of mind i have learned to prolong once the familiar ebb and flow has washed over me, removing conscious individuality. is it "absolutely unfeeling"? i suppose, yes: no feeling is present. and it is from this place that i make most of my most important personal discoveries and grasp things of a particularly subtle nature.

i previously had no control over when i fall into this state, but yoga has a way of triggering this frame of mind. a calm shower, or swimming in the ocean, as well. and i do not need to be alone to do this, but when i do i forget i am in someone else's presence altogether.
No control to fall in the state initially. A difficulty to make it fall in the hands of the conscious mind. Do your external actions function differently during the state and what is it that often snaps you back to yourself? or is it gradual?

R

Riva

The idea of separating your individuality from your thoughts. Becoming absolutely unfeeling as another person. You stay outside your person. No rationale exists and one is consumed by a state of constant perception. Knowledge gained by perception and restructured to form a system that works well for the individual to process themselves through life. A lot of you might say you do this... I imagine there are nodes of time an individual would work in the similar way but it is unlikely a part of a constant natural process of mind. If you do this when do you do it, and how often do you do it?

What you have described separating your individuality from your thoughts and stay outside your person is what Vipassana/Buddhism teaches one to do.

I have to go a bit further and point out to you that once one learns to constantly separate one's thoughts from one's individuality (as described by you) one's individuality begins to fade away. When one is constantly aware of one's thoughts (the practice of Vipassana) one begins to realize that 'I' does not exist therefore one loses one's individuality. The-I is directly related to one's thoughts and vise versa - this part needs practice to realize. The less one is attached to one's thoughts the less one is attached to one's I therefore.........

Am I wasting my time by dragging (going in to) Buddhist teaching here I wonder?

therefore could let go of one's ego. Ego is what holds on to anger, jealousy etc. Therefor one could say it is 'I' that is holding on to anger, hatred, jealosy. This could be explained by the fact that the reason we feel those feelings is when one feels the 'I' is being treated badly, unfairly etc.

What I am trying to say is that your thoughts are your 'I' and your 'I' are your thoughts.

I shall stop here for now until someone feels the need to inquire on this more.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
therefore could let go of one's ego. Ego is what holds on to anger, jealousy etc. Therefor one could say it is 'I' that is holding on to anger, hatred, jealosy. This could be explained by the fact that the reason we feel those feelings is when one feels the 'I' is being treated badly, unfairly etc.
What is the point the state? Buddhism might have a different reason for trying to achieve it altogether.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wonder if this would be a way to learn ones subconscious desires, figure out why they're fucked up what really is going on.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I do this whenever I need satori. Pretty much every day.

I wonder if this would be a way to learn ones subconscious desires, figure out why they're fucked up what really is going on.
In my experience, if you are right minded, yes it can tell you such things about yourself.

It is difficult to explain what is right minded, though. I will say that if one approaches it with impatience because they are distressed and want results, this will be a hindrance.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do your external actions function differently during the state

i am usually quite still or unaware of what i'm doing. total autopilot.

what is it that often snaps you back to yourself? or is it gradual?

usually, a sound or movement in the physical world. by eliminating distractions in my home, my sanctuary, i am better able to prolong this state. much of my daily life is spent in decision-making mode, and since this mood aids in making decisions and discovering alternatives, i do whatever i can to nudge it along.

sleep is another place where i'm able to explore this phenomenon...visions, new facets of truth are presented to me in a more extended state. there i can more easily beckon these things from the shadows...

W

WALMART

As you have stated, my occurrences of this duality are nodal.

I view the periods of observance outside my daily functioning as periods of growth, the times myselves are molded a tribulation to what I've learned. I suspect the cycle will continue unbroken until my melded self functions as my observing self would.

Though, even when he's taken a backseat, I still feel his presence...

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What you have described separating your individuality from your thoughts and stay outside your person is what Vipassana/Buddhism teaches one to do.

I have to go a bit further and point out to you that once one learns to constantly separate one's thoughts from one's individuality (as described by you) one's individuality begins to fade away. When one is constantly aware of one's thoughts (the practice of Vipassana) one begins to realize that 'I' does not exist therefore one loses one's individuality. The-I is directly related to one's thoughts and vise versa - this part needs practice to realize. The less one is attached to one's thoughts the less one is attached to one's I therefore.........

Am I wasting my time by dragging (going in to) Buddhist teaching here I wonder?

What I am trying to say is that your thoughts are your 'I' and your 'I' are your thoughts.

I shall stop here for now until someone feels the need to inquire on this more.

^^This is awesome I want more :popc1:

I'm not sure what the OP is asking really? Are you talking about the way we can mentally go out of our bodies and observe what we are physically doing? Or observe what we are mentally/emotionally going through?

For some reason I know I want to know what you guys mean...but I have to think through it first...I can't just intuit it...even though I think I know what you mean...damn Te!