We've all got issues. We'd like to improve our station in life. We also happen to be members of a forum centered on understanding ourselves and one another--so, as a byproduct, we're able to put ourselves out there and get some community support. We see especially good discussion along these lines in this subforum and in the relationships subforum.
To that end, I'd like to compile especially helpful resources and articles for members to use--not to supplant the discussion that takes place here, but to provide additional tools for support and general self-improvement.
What other resources are out there? Websites, books--virtually any medium is welcome. Feel free to share resources about on topic that has any relation to self-help, self-improvement, understanding relationships, and so on, and we'll update the OP to add to our collection. Suggestions are definitely welcome.
Note also that, given the nature of this thread, we'll have to maintain somewhat tight control of it--posts that defeat the purpose of this thread, that are too off-topic, etc. might get moved. Sorry, dudes.
- Depression Hotline: 1-630-482-9696
- Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433
- LifeLine: 1-800-273-8255
- Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386
- Sexuality Support: 1-800-246-7743
- Eating Disorders Hotline: 1-847-831-3438
- Rape and Sexual Assault: 1-800-656-4673
- Grief Support: 1-650-321-5272
- Runaway: 1-800-843-5200, 1-800-843-5678, 1-800-621-4000
- Exhale: After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-4394253
- Crazyboards.org - forums for those sharing stories and posing and answering questions about a variety of mental disorders (bipolar, depression, OCD, etc.) (free, forum)
- Morris Institute for Human Values - lots of great articles here (especially in the Weekly Wisdom section). (free, articles)
- Relief Without Drugs (book)
- Article: How to communicate your needs to your partner (free, article)
- Article: 10 Communication Myths in Relationships (free, article)
- Article: How to Communicate Your Needs to Your Spouse (free, article)
- The Cult of Done Manifesto - A great, simple look at how to get 'done.' (free, article)
- Try These Cognitive Restructuring Exercises to Improve Your Mood and Reduce Stress - From Lifehacker, a great standalone article on replacing negative mental habits with positive ones.(free, article)
- zenhabits - general life wisdom; hits the mark very well quite often. (free, website)
- Lifehacker - especially the tags mind hacks, inspiration, motivation, psychology, brain hacks. (free, website)
- Pick the Brain - more motivational stuff. (free, website)
- The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World - Title says enough. A 'primer' of sorts for disillusioned introverts. (book)
- EmpoweringParents.com (free, website)
- Supernormal Stimuli: How Primal Urges Overran Their Evolutionary Purpose - A very interesting look into why we do the things we do from an evolutionary standpoint. (book)
Just getting things started here. I'm hoping that this compilation takes off and becomes useful. We'll see