• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You A Serious Person?

gromit

likes this
Do you think of yourself as a serious person? How would you define a "serious person"?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
not serious, i can't define it as i am not a dictionary, but i do think people are too serious at times and need tickle attacks

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fundamentally yes. Although I can come across as quite fun-loving and light-hearted and in some ways I am.

Another member once said something about being too serious for some, and not serious enough for others. This resonated with me to an extreme.

I might come back to this thread later...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. Unfortunately. I need to lighten up most of the time.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am incredibly serious, i am even serious about being playful at times. :smile:

gromit

likes this
I think I'm pretty half and half, serious, and non-serious.

Maybe I might not seem that serious to some people who do not know me well, but when it is something or someone that matters to me, I am serious about what I do. I also hold myself to a high standard.

A

Anew Leaf

Do you think of yourself as a serious person? How would you define a "serious person"?

I consider myself someone who can fluctuate as the situation demands.

I sort of have my fluffy entertaining exterior that works best with interaction with the external world. But deep inside I have an internal world of stillness that I will bring as necessary.

So probably 75% fluff and 25% stillness, but the stillness weighs more than a duck so it floats better that the fluff.

A "Serious Person" to me is someone who chooses to frown instead of laughing.

Life is a gloriously terrible adventure. It's best spent laughing and wondering and imagining as much as possible so that your still pond is well stocked with mighty fish when the storms occur.

/makes no sense.

G

Ginkgo

I seriously value avoiding imposing my seriousness on others.

I'm pretty easy going and I love a good laugh. That said, I'm probably more serious than not, and one of the easiest ways to raise my hackles is to tell me to lighten up when I'm serious about something.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One sec, let me ask someone who knows me well.

Edit: My friend said "Most of the time you're not serious, but when it comes to important things you are serious".

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
G

Ginkgo

sparkles.gif

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coming back to this: my definition of "serious person" is more or less someone who thinks life is serious and should be taken seriously. Someone who doesn't shy away from deeper or more serious issues, who doesn't think it's just about pursuing the maximum of fun and glitter. So I suppose I'd describe it as a "good thing" overall.

I certainly do agree that constant serious frownyness can be pretty dire. Someone who can never lighten up or laugh about things can be pretty sad to be around. I have a pretty intense silly switch. Sometimes I just enjoy myself and skip about. ;) I like it when I make others laugh, too. But I think I'm considerably more serious at the core. I certainly do have an easier time turning on the silly switch than I did when I was younger, ie. in my teens. I think I must have been unendurably serious a lot of the time then.

Conversely, people who turn everything into a big fat joke really don't go down well with me. You start to realise that you can't say anything to them, even something deeply serious, without them laughing about it - basically laughing at you. I'm more likely to start keeping my distance from such people or not saying anything much around them.

So, as with everything - I think there's a good balance to be found.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah. It's why I revere humor so devotedly. It is salvation.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm a mite dour, but not without some lightness. My sense of humor is intentionally subtle - if it's a dud, it can at least pass by inconspicuously.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Very serious when working, I'm more to 'mind your own business' at working place. I'm not pretentious at home, I can be playful and bad at the same time, depends.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel like I'm always serious about everything even though I joke about things sometimes, too. Life is very "heavy" to me... so meaningful, all of it...