• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You A Serious Person?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be at my most serious with people I don't know well. I do think about big issues and analyze them and have serious conversations about it, and I work really hard at what is important to me, but strangely enough I'm not intense socially. I am significantly more laid back than most people I know.

I tend to hide my silly side from people I don't know well, but will mirror anyone who has a silly side. I teach music lessons to some little children and don't have a problem being on their level, and I can get just about any animal feeling so silly they don't know what to do with themselves.

wolfy

awsm
No, I don't think I fall into the serious category. Hard working maybe, but serious... not so much.

93JC

When I was eight years old my Grade 4 teacher told my parents I was "too serious".

I've been called lots of things that might be the mark of a serious man: downbeat words like solemn, dour, miserly, miserable and curmudgeonly, and more upbeat ones like sincere, thoughtful, genuine, honest and authentic.

I would think I'd also come across as very aloof and lackadaisical, which to me are the antithesis of serious.

I guess I don't know what the hell people think of me now.

My Grade 4 teacher was probably right though.

yupitsme

MBTI Type
intx
I am serious about good food, success, being a good father and husband and getting as much ass from my wife as possible before I die because those are my metrics. I am unserious about pretty much everything else. Your definition of success is the only one that matters so mine wont help but here it is without a lot of thought.

A serious person is one whom makes a dedicated effort to achieve their goals as well as a concerted effort not to waste their time dicking around with things that are frivilous pursuits

nanook

a scream in a vortex
not serious, i can't define it as i am not a dictionary

i love you. from I AM to I AM. we are not the dictionary. how awesome of you to remind me of that :)

I am neither my seriousness, nor my sincerity nor my understanding of what those words mean. nevertheless all three of those are mighty players in this lifetime.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Around 55 percentile I think

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Maybe about 30% of the time but i won't commit to that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a very serious person, I am always serious.

I'm not a very serious person, I frolick and banter all the time.

Seems a contradiction, but I wonder. I can describe myself from two different perspectives and conclude that both statement have equal truth in them.

The factor that upsets seems to be the definition of what is the opposite of serious. I say there is no opposite for any rational person.

When I am not being serious, I do so with serious intent.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Define serious.

I enjoy playing guitar like, rock guitar and stuff and; I can write comedy.

This might sound like a cliche but, I like to entertain myself. I rarely like to mix comedy with music though... Music, like comedy, is just whatever's on my mind, but if I'm in love for exmaple and want to write a love song then, that's what I'll end up doing.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1)concerned with important matters
2)requiring effort or concentration
3)being in earnest; sincere; not trifling

I like all of the above definitions. But I relate best to being earnest and sincere. And I am first and foremost serious. I am the worst person to tell a joke to. I normally don't get them. I have to think it through and then if I do get it I have to translate it to funny. It's better to tell me a funny story. or a knock knock joke...but even those I don't get sometimes lol

It's like I take the world in by being serious primarily and then I need to translate after I have absorbed it, and distinguish whether it really is serious or funny.

That being said...everything is funny...I just choose whether to laugh out loud or not. And I do give off the impression that I live in a land of fluff with unicorns...so people don't know i'm serious. But I care about everything. I think that's what makes me so serious.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm ernest, which I guess means that I'm serious even if I'm having a laugh. Even if I laugh at something that is a giant nihilistic joke, I'm crying a little bit for the same reason.

Jaguar

When the situation calls for it, yes. Otherwise, I joke around a lot.

G

garbage

Yeah, despite how I come across here and to others, I'm a pretty serious person. I'd place myself at about the 75th percentile.

I take life seriously. I have a strong need to direct, control, and make sense of my life and the world around me. It's hard for me to 'play just to play.' But I'm also not a buzzkill--that seriousness is mostly internal--and I'm definitely not depressed.

I kinda feel that most everything I do is a 'tactic,' that it must have some deeper meaning, relevance, or motivation. I can play around but I can't help but tie it back to a goal--lightening the mood, easing tension, bonding, presenting myself as 'nonthreatening' so that people open up, personal growth, expressing myself--and so I think that it doesn't count.

A psychologist once told me that, since I'm goal-oriented, that I ought to make play and relaxation a goal. It kinda works.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm so serious inside that all i can do is exert silliness so i don't internally combust.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I define a "serious person" the same way that [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION] does: someone who takes life seriously, takes issues seriously, and tends towards serious conversation topics. In which case, yes, I am definitely a serious person. In terms of what my motivations are, for how I live, why I live, how I interact with people and why, I'm serious 99% of the time. When I'm not serious -- as so many others have said -- it's to give myself a break. I'd go nuts if I didn't have lighthearted fun on a regular basis.

I used to be even worse about this; couldn't make self-deprecating jokes, got offended whenever anyone teased me. I'm getting better now, as a survival mechanism.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when i try to be i usually end up making jokes and laughing. i try to talk politics the other night it end up being about something different mostly because i started thinking the other person was an idiot and i wasn't gonna change their mind. or i get scared and lot of times people will ask if i'm joking but i'm not and i'll say yeah i am because i don't want them to know.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
when necessary, yes

but then again, 90% of my jokes are dead serious as well (or at least completely honest... I find morbid honesty to be hilarious, which horrifies some people) :newwink:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Do you think of yourself as a serious person? How would you define a "serious person"?

No, not really. I would not of course say I am always joking...but I can move very quickly between being serious and being funny. One of my favourite types of humour is a style where it isn't obvious if you are joking. Your audience has to guess, which makes you more mysterious - or infuriating - to them. I also like to treat the subjects people take most seriously, because nothing should be sacred.

I think having both a sense of humour, and the ability to appreciate it in others, are among the important traits a person can have. Humour can add light to the dullest, most boring subject imaginable. Obviously, you need to be able to take back what you give out, and that is something many people, myself included, could probably work on.

Probably the most important thing is not to give a shit. Thankfully I possess that trait more and more every day.