User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm ernest, which I guess means that I'm serious even if I'm having a laugh. Even if I laugh at something that is a giant nihilistic joke, I'm crying a little bit for the same reason.

When the situation calls for it, yes. Otherwise, I joke around a lot.

garbage

Yeah, despite how I come across here and to others, I'm a pretty serious person. I'd place myself at about the 75th percentile.

I take life seriously. I have a strong need to direct, control, and make sense of my life and the world around me. It's hard for me to 'play just to play.' But I'm also not a buzzkill--that seriousness is mostly internal--and I'm definitely not depressed.

I kinda feel that most everything I do is a 'tactic,' that it must have some deeper meaning, relevance, or motivation. I can play around but I can't help but tie it back to a goal--lightening the mood, easing tension, bonding, presenting myself as 'nonthreatening' so that people open up, personal growth, expressing myself--and so I think that it doesn't count.

A psychologist once told me that, since I'm goal-oriented, that I ought to make play and relaxation a goal. It kinda works.

i'm so serious inside that all i can do is exert silliness so i don't internally combust.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I define a "serious person" the same way that @SilkRoad does: someone who takes life seriously, takes issues seriously, and tends towards serious conversation topics. In which case, yes, I am definitely a serious person. In terms of what my motivations are, for how I live, why I live, how I interact with people and why, I'm serious 99% of the time. When I'm not serious -- as so many others have said -- it's to give myself a break. I'd go nuts if I didn't have lighthearted fun on a regular basis.

I used to be even worse about this; couldn't make self-deprecating jokes, got offended whenever anyone teased me. I'm getting better now, as a survival mechanism.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

I've had people say I look mad at times when I've felt happy. So probably.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Sometimes.

MBTI
    yupp

when i try to be i usually end up making jokes and laughing. i try to talk politics the other night it end up being about something different mostly because i started thinking the other person was an idiot and i wasn't gonna change their mind. or i get scared and lot of times people will ask if i'm joking but i'm not and i'll say yeah i am because i don't want them to know.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

when necessary, yes

but then again, 90% of my jokes are dead serious as well (or at least completely honest... I find morbid honesty to be hilarious, which horrifies some people)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Do you think of yourself as a serious person? How would you define a "serious person"?
    No, not really. I would not of course say I am always joking...but I can move very quickly between being serious and being funny. One of my favourite types of humour is a style where it isn't obvious if you are joking. Your audience has to guess, which makes you more mysterious - or infuriating - to them. I also like to treat the subjects people take most seriously, because nothing should be sacred.

I think having both a sense of humour, and the ability to appreciate it in others, are among the important traits a person can have. Humour can add light to the dullest, most boring subject imaginable. Obviously, you need to be able to take back what you give out, and that is something many people, myself included, could probably work on.

Probably the most important thing is not to give a shit. Thankfully I possess that trait more and more every day.