• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

tell the truth

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It doesn't scare me much.

ygolo

My termites win
What is normal? I have such a limited scope of experience that trying to characterize what is normal based on that would be ill advised.

But if you are talking about what I typically see, then some things scare me, other things are prosaic.

I see, almost every other day, an accident on the highway. This scares me.

I experience, almost every day, the sun in the sky. This does not scare me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What is normal? I have such a limited scope of experience that trying to characterize what is normal based on that would be ill advised.

But if you are talking about what I typically see, then some things scare me, other things are prosaic.

I see, almost every other day, an accident on the highway. This scares me.

I experience, almost every day, the sun in the sky. This does not scare me.
not exactly what i was asking, but i like this post so i'm not mad.

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
No. Whether or not it scares others is another question entirely.

ygolo

My termites win
not exactly what i was asking, but i like this post so i'm not mad.

Oh. As in what is normal psychologically?

Psychology is not something I studied formally, but most things I come across define "abnormal" in very specific contexts. Normal seems to be implicitly defined as not abnormal in any specific context.

In that sense, I think it may be atypical to not be abnormal in some context somewhere. I am not sure though.

If I did meet someone who had absolutely no quirks, or "flaws" of any sort, I think I would be scared of him/her.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say I have a firm grasp on reality to understand what normal means. So, I would say no.

Mole

Permabanned
does what you view as normal scare you?

Almost all of us are normal and only a very few, a tiny number, are abnormal or subnormal.

And we know in Germany during the war only a very few helped Jews. And a study of these Germans showed they were not normal.

So the normal scare me, particularly as they take their normality for granted.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I agree with [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] here actually.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some "normal" attitudes and behaviors definitely scare me. I could come up with examples if needed.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Normality is a social weapon, sometimes I wield it. If you start to fear it, just remember that its power is your belief in it. Don't feel like you need to be normal, just feel like you need to be effective enough to achieve your dreams. It's the difference between living for others and living for yourself. If you fight normality, as if it has substance, you're still letting others dictate your life.

G

garbage

Normal (and sets of standards, customs, etc.) can be considered a baseline. It ought to be recognized because it's a large part of the way the world works, but it doesn't necessarily need to be followed.

Building up traditions is fine and saves us some thinkin' power that we can use elsewhere--imagine if we had to reexamine everything every moment of the day--but we should also figure out better ways to do things, to live our lives, to enhance our daily routines, to navigate the world, and so on.

I'd say--learn 'the rules,' then create better ones.

If we establish a new, better 'normal' by pushing the envelope and subverting the current normal, then we've done some damn fine service.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sometimes, yeah.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
It just looks boring. :(

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
im simultaneously envious and disgusted by it.

A

Anew Leaf

does what you view as normal scare you?

Well, what is normal to me is probably not normal for someone else which means they have their own normal which might in fact scare me but no my normal does not scare me at all in fact i would be lost without the hardy raft of my normal ocean bellowing waves beneath my feet.