• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Care of Our Psyche

Mole

Permabanned
The care of our psyche starts from our earliest age.

As we pass through the narcissistic stage of development, we need to be loved unconditionally to survive.

If we are not loved unconditionally at this age, we are faced with the prospect of knowing that the one person our life depends on does not love us unconditionally. So we take this unmet narcissistic need into adulthood, with a double whammy, we are constantly looking for narcissistic supply, and at the same time we deny the origin of our damaged psyche, because knowing this was too much for us bear at such an early age.

And to our surprise we find the internet and social media are full of us looking for narcissistic supply, and with no idea why we are so needy.

But as adults we can start to realise the worst has happened and we weren't loved unconditionally when we needed it.

We can also start to realise we are now adults and don't need to be loved unconditionally in order to survive.

And we can also start to realise we are damaged adults, and without coming to understand our own damage, we are likely to pass it on to our own children.

This is the beginning of the care of our psyche - we have survived, though damaged, and with continual care our psyche and our children can begin to thrive.

pv255

what are other manifestations of unmet narcissism? and when do you think those behaviors become disruptive?

in business school i had this organizational behavior professor who thought Steve Jobs was a narcissist, with all negative connotations associated with the term. i argued with him a lot.

Mole

Permabanned
what are other manifestations of unmet narcissism? and when do you think those behaviors become disruptive?

in business school i had this organizational behavior professor who thought Steve Jobs was a narcissist, with all negative connotations associated with the term. i argued with him a lot.

Yes, it is common for successful CEOs to have narcissistic personalities.

However those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder suffer from a mental illness and lead unsuccessful lives.

So narcissistic personalities are seeking narcissistic supply, but this can often lead them to great success.

Burger King

What's the cure? Introspection? Medication?...Termination?

The fate of a junkie is a pathetic one. Pity me, those with your nose held high.

Mole

Permabanned
What's the cure? Introspection? Medication?...Termination?

The fate of a junkie is a pathetic one. Pity me, those with your nose held high.

There is no cure for a narcissistic personality because it is not a disease or a lesion.

However we can come to understand our drive for narcissistic supply. This will enable us to become free of our childhood; and most important it will allow us to love our own very young children unconditionally.

So we come to understand how we were damaged, and how we needed to deny this in order to survive, and how we continue to act out our unmet narcissistic needs as adults.

And as we come to understand our own damage, we will not want to unconsciously pass this damage onto our very young children, rather we will wish to meet their need to be loved unconditionally.

pv255

There is no cure for a narcissistic personality because it is not a disease or a lesion.

However we can come to understand our drive for narcissistic supply. This will enable us to become free of our childhood; and most important it will allow us to love our own very young children unconditionally.

So we come to understand how we were damaged, and how we needed to deny this in order to survive, and how we continue to act out our unmet narcissistic needs as adults.

And as we come to understand our own damage, we will not want to unconsciously pass this damage onto our very young children, rather we will wish to meet their need to be loved unconditionally.
If narcissism is normal and not a disorder, then shouldn't there be an alternative source? Surely not ALL of us were misunderstood as children.

Mole

Permabanned
The History of Childhood

If narcissism is normal and not a disorder, then shouldn't there be an alternative source? Surely not ALL of us were misunderstood as children.

Well, look around you - social media is famous for its narcissism.

So we can say narcissism has been hidden until it was and is revealed by social media. It's not that narcissism has increased, it's just that it has now become visible.

Should you wish to come to understand the History of Childhood, you might like to click on -

http://www.psychohistory.com/htm/contents.htm

and -

http://www.itani-family.org/files/The_Drama_of_the_Gifted_Child.pdf

pv255

Well, look around you - social media is famous for its narcissism.

So we can say narcissism has been hidden until it was and is revealed by social media. It's not that narcissism has increased, it's just that it has now become visible.

Should you wish to come to understand the History of Childhood, you might like to click on -

http://www.psychohistory.com/htm/contents.htm

and -

http://www.itani-family.org/files/The_Drama_of_the_Gifted_Child.pdf

What I think you are saying is that narcissism is not a disorder because so many people are characterized with it. And people who aren't afflicted with narcissist desires became this way due to specific treatment as a child? I recognize the fact that there are some horrible parents out there, but I have a difficult time believing it is a majority. OR are you saying that a child's whole environment (peers, teachers, media, etc.) plays a roll, and a child can be damaged by anyone during this vulnerable time?