• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Language of Arthur Rimbaud

Mole

Permabanned
I have noticed Central is written in the language of common sense.

When I joined Central so long ago, I didn't write in language of common sense, but I was trolled, bullied and parodied, accused of being on drugs, accused of being a troll, until I started to write in the language of common sense.

Central reminded me of boarding school, where my cut glass English accent cause such offense I was beaten into speaking with an Australian accent.

Until in my thread, Wikileaks and Poetry, I discovered Arthur Rimbaud. And I realised the young Shakespeare of France also didn't write in the language of common sense.

And my ambition now is to write in the language of Arthur Rimbaud.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have noticed Central is written in the language of common sense.

When I joined Central so long ago, I didn't write in language of common sense, but I was trolled, bullied and parodied, accused of being on drugs, accused of being a troll, until I started to write in the language of common sense.

Central reminded me of boarding school, where my cut glass English accent cause such offense I was beaten into speaking with an Australian accent.

Until in my thread, Wikileaks and Poetry, I discovered Arthur Rimbaud. And I realised the young Shakespeare of France also didn't write in the language of common sense.

And my ambition now is to write in the language of Arthur Rimbaud.

Times have changed. What does it mean?

Common

trite
stale
banal
threadbare
hackneyed
worn out

The boulevard papers, the bureaucrats and the media have a thing in common.
They are devoid of any literary ambition. They serve the public.
The language of common sense is the language of the public.

Shakespeare wrote only one popular play. Much Ado about Nothing.
Today he would not have written anything.

Mole

Permabanned
Instrumental Ugliness and Intrinsic Beauty

Times have changed. What does it mean?

Common

trite
stale
banal
threadbare
hackneyed
worn out

The boulevard papers, the bureaucrats and the media have a thing in common.
They are devoid of any literary ambition. They serve the public.
The language of common sense is the language of the public.

Shakespeare wrote only one popular play. Much Ado about Nothing.
Today he would not have written anything.

Central is written in the language of common sense, that is, Central is written in instrumental language. Central is not written in intrinsic language, that is, the language of Central is not one of intrinsic beauty.

Does this matter?

Yes, for the language we speak limns the lives we lead, that is, instrumental language leads to an ugly instrumental life, and intrinsic language leads to a life of intrinsic beauty.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's no holographic mental displays yet Victor. Don't worry, I am working on building them

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Central is written in the language of common sense, that is, Central is written in instrumental language. Central is not written in intrinsic language, that is, the language of Central is not one of intrinsic beauty.

Does this matter?

Yes, for the language we speak limns the lives we lead, that is, instrumental language leads to an ugly instrumental life, and intrinsic language leads to a life of intrinsic beauty.

What a precise choice of words you have.

If what you say is true (and I think it is), language is not a medium of thought.
Thought is language.
A tool (an instrument) however is a medium. :doh:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
What a precise choice of words you have.

If what you say is true (and I think it is), language is not a medium of thought.
Thought is language.
A tool (an instrument) however is a medium. :doh:
Language is not thought.

Poetry and prose are two separate things.

If I say "get some milk on your way home" you better not come back with a copy of Illuminations and claim that it is milk for your soul. There's a time for everything.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Language is not thought.

Poetry and prose are two separate things.

If I say "get some milk on your way home" you better not come back with a copy of Illuminations and claim that it is milk for your soul. There's a time for everything.

I thought somebody would come forth with your argument. :D

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I thought somebody would come forth with your argument. :D
Well it's true.

I can get the idea that there is the dichotomy between mundane, informative language and metaphorical language, but that in itself proves that language is not thought.

There is no intrinsic language because the same thing can mean something different depending on context. Thus we have satire and sarcasm, for example.

Edit: also I'd dare to say that a master of language does not shun one form over the other, but rather knows how to employ many forms effectively.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Well it's true.

I can get the idea that there is the dichotomy between mundane, informative language and metaphorical language, but that in itself proves that language is not thought.

There is no intrinsic language because the same thing can mean something different depending on context. Thus we have satire and sarcasm, for example.

Exactly. The same thing can mean something different depending on the context.
If the measure is the thing, is the tool the measure?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Exactly. The same thing can mean something different depending on the context.
If the measure is the thing, is the tool the measure?

One same thing can be a thing, a tool, and a measure, all in different strata.

Mole

Permabanned
If I say "get some milk on your way home" you better not come back with a copy of Illuminations and claim that it is milk for your soul.

If you got milk on your way home, I would be grateful. But if you came back with, "Illuminations", I would love you.