User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp

If everyone who thought of committing suicide on Facebook actually went through with it, then there would be a lot of dead people. So of course, I can see how it would be hard to take people seriously. There are unfortunately those who do intend on following through. There seems to be a negative connotations with having thoughts of suicide, as if it makes one weak. I have compassion for those who have the courage to reach out, although, I think the best course of action is to not get too involved on their FB page, because it just encourages people to continue turn to the wrong place for guidance and help. I would just give them the number to the suicide hotline in response.

Suicide is a leading cause of death among teenagers and adults under 35. The rate of suicide is far higher in men than in women, with males worldwide three to four times more likely to kill themselves than females. There are an estimated 10 to 20 million non-fatal attempted suicides every year worldwide.

Just as a side note:

I personally see nothing wrong with feeling suicidal. The question that most people should ask is "How can I work with this problem that is making me feel suicidal?" Suicidal thoughts are a sign of rebirth and transformation. In the book The Language of Emotions, Karla McLaren says, You can ask the questions, "What idea or behavior must end now?" or "What can no longer be tolerated?"
    Likes melomania liked this post

Permabanned

The world needs less people; they are performing a service for those of us who choose to selfishly live...
    In that light, I think they want praise before going out.
    So, encourage them, I think.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

is it too apethetic to tell them to call a crisis hotline an save it for their therapist, so they can an increase in their meds?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    The world needs less people; they are performing a service for those of us who choose to selfishly live...
    In that light, I think they want praise before going out.
    So, encourage them, I think.
    I agree with you to a certain extent... But not really... Actually, I have a bit of a problem with that after the first semi-colon.

People seem to forget (Or downright ignore the fact) that suicidal ideation is very much a mental health problem, and isn't always something which people fake for attention. I don't think this is the correct target audience for reducing the world's population. (No, I'm not going to say whom I think is a better target.)

Both situations are obviously possible.

I think that the correct way to deal with people like this is basically what's already been stated. Just respond with the suicide hotline number, or something similar. If they really are honestly considering it, a professional is better suited to deal with it. If they just want attention, this is giving them the minimal amount of attention without being neglectful of the possibility that they are serious.

MBTI
    INFP

I understand the impulse of directing them to a professional, but couldn't this come across as "tell someone who cares. or is paid to pretend they care"?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I understand the impulse of directing them to a professional, but couldn't this come across as "tell someone who cares. or is paid to pretend they care"?
    Yeah, I can see that interpretation. In my case it's more like "I'm so cynical/pessimistic that I don't trust myself to not push you further, so talk to someone who is less likely to say something stupid" though, which is why I'd be hesitant to talk too much. And I would assume that it's something closer to this for most people as well.

The whole issue is kind of like walking on thin ice though. You definitely wouldn't want anything you might say to be misinterpreted, which is actually part of the reason for that impulse.

Oh yeah, also I don't use Facebook, so maybe none of this would apply. I don't understand how the social environment there might differ from places I'm used to.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    thank you.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I think that a lot of individuals who post emo or suicidal statuses are usually doing it for the attention aspect. However, I do think there is a minority of people who truly do feel so overwhelmed that they do not understand the implications of putting such emotional statuses up in a public forum. Their judgement and thinking is clouded and all they feel that they want at that exact moment is someone to comfort them and tell them that their life is worth living. You could argue that it is for attention, but I think it's a bit deeper than that for some people.

I recently (last week) had a friend on Facebook have a suicidal status where it was basically saying farewell, cruel cruel world. I wouldn't really call her a friend even, but I've noticed that for the last two years she's been depressed/full of drama/angry/etc. I reported the status to Facebook under their new suicide watch thing. I figured, well - I don't know her well enough to get into her business and try to help, but I also don't want to sit by and do nothing.

Five minutes later she had a status up saying a big fuck-you to whoever reported the status, and if they didn't like it they didn't have to look. Needless to say, I was baffled.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Vie View Post
    I think that a lot of individuals who post emo or suicidal statuses are usually doing it for the attention aspect. However, I do think there is a minority of people who truly do feel so overwhelmed that they do not understand the implications of putting such emotional statuses up in a public forum. Their judgement and thinking is clouded and all they feel that they want at that exact moment is someone to comfort them and tell them that their life is worth living. You could argue that it is for attention, but I think it's a bit deeper than that for some people.

I recently (last week) had a friend on Facebook have a suicidal status where it was basically saying farewell, cruel cruel world. I wouldn't really call her a friend even, but I've noticed that for the last two years she's been depressed/full of drama/angry/etc. I reported the status to Facebook under their new suicide watch thing. I figured, well - I don't know her well enough to get into her business and try to help, but I also don't want to sit by and do nothing.

Five minutes later she had a status up saying a big fuck-you to whoever reported the status, and if they didn't like it they didn't have to look. Needless to say, I was baffled.
    wow, i would have been like, "bitch don't say you're going to kill yourself unless you're actually planning to. because suicide is serious business, fuck you asswipe"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'd be confused and ambivalent about whether to believe them or not, and then decide that in the end there's nothing I could say or do anyway that would change their mind/be helpful in any way. Luckily I'm not on FB anymore.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness