User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 62

  1. #31
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Context doesn't matter. Reflexes are far more important in terms of survival. I doubt there is a person on these boards that hasn't avoided serious injury or death by using their reflexes. It's still not intelligence though.
    So what would you use as the word which describes the gauge, in general, for all the faculties of the brain.

    Reflexes is partially nerve and twitch muscle based so what do you call the term used to grade the brains function in all of this?

    Surely arguing over the definition of intelligence and whether it should encompass this bit or that bit is a bit of a waste of time?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #32
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So what would you use as the word which describes the gauge, in general, for all the faculties of the brain.

    Reflexes is partially nerve and twitch muscle based so what do you call the term used to grade the brains function in all of this?

    Surely arguing over the definition of intelligence and whether it should encompass this bit or that bit is a bit of a waste of time?
    That makes this thread a waste of time then.

  3. #33
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That makes this thread a waste of time then.
    Well I was thinking more in terms of what facets are covered too generally and whether they could be linked to specific things in the MBTI. Like if logical intelligence is more prevalent in Ts.

    As I understood it you had drawn the problem that intelligence was the wrong word for such things as Kinetic intelligence. As such that's more arguing with the wording of the theory in it's use of the word intelligence rather than with the concept itself. Rewording it I see as more to suit personal tastes rather than a quality of the concept itself. I apologise if I sounded dismissive.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #34
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Well I was thinking more in terms of what facets are covered too generally and whether they could be linked to specific things in the MBTI. Like if logical intelligence is more prevalent in Ts.

    As I understood it you had drawn the problem that intelligence was the wrong word for such things as Kinetic intelligence. As such that's more arguing with the wording of the theory in it's use of the word intelligence rather than with the concept itself. Rewording it I see as more to suit personal tastes rather than a quality of the concept itself. I apologise if I sounded dismissive.
    I don't really have a problem with calling B-K intelligence, except that doing so seems to equate it with the more traditional types like Logical-Mathematical.

    Those increased abilities in those traditional types are what makes human beings unique compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. It's not that B-K is worthless, it is worth less.

  5. #35
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't really have a problem with calling B-K intelligence, except that doing so seems to equate it with the more traditional types like Logical-Mathematical.

    Those increased abilities in those traditional types are what makes human beings unique compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. It's not that B-K is worthless, it is worth less.
    Again I disagree with this as a good start towards an objective viewpoint but I rest that we shall differ on this point.

    If I was to interpret your words as saying that things such as logical intellect should be worth more because in the context of the current world there are more possible applications for such intelligence than there is for the BK intelligence and hence it may not be superior itself but a person with high logical intellect as opposed to BK intellect would be considered superior when compared to the requirements and standards of today's world as it is?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If I was to interpret your words as saying that things such as logical intellect should be worth more because in the context of the current world there are more possible applications for such intelligence than there is for the BK intelligence and hence it may not be superior itself but a person with high logical intellect as opposed to BK intellect would be considered superior when compared to the requirements and standards of today's world as it is?
    No, it is worth more because the current world was created from logical intellect.

  7. #37
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No, it is worth more because the current world was created from logical intellect.
    Well that's a whole new argument waiting there... but to go back to the theory.

    As there is call for some kind of listing for how well the brain functions in respect to manoeuvring the vessel that it is in do we combine this facet with another to make the combination as strong as logical or do we split the logical facet into it's components to make each category of equal import and so providing objective results more so than another rosette for the most "intelligent".
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    As there is call for some kind of listing for how well the brain functions in respect to manoeuvring the vessel that it is in do we combine this facet with another to make the combination as strong as logical or do we split the logical facet into it's components to make each category of equal import and so providing objective results more so than another rosette for the most "intelligent".
    Why does "equal" mean "objective"?

  9. #39
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why does "equal" mean "objective"?
    It's not really a direct link.. it's an intuitive link made in regard to the systems results and the impact of them. If your going to make one particular facet most important then your partially saying that the rest of the test is a bit of a waste of time and in which case you should be looking at an IQ test and not a holistic test like this.

    You must know someone who is really good at education like subject but couldn't apply their knowledge for love nor money. I know an ISTJ who's very good at maths and anything related to memory and yet he has as little understanding as a child sometimes. It's like all intelligence and no wisdom. So I'd come to the conclusion (after this and other examples of excellent grades but no common sense) that there must be something aside from classical intelligence which makes someone truly useful and hence a more holistic test is needed.

    Now if we rule out a facet such as BK intelligence, in all forms, then are we not prejudging the results? Similarly if we deliberately group all of classical intelligence into one element then are we not already saying something in regard to the values which we are applying to the test and hence slanting the results?

    To keep balance the person writing the test as well as the person sitting the test should, in an ideal situation, wish to have equally high scores in all areas. This is reflected in the MBTI where great pains are taken to put each element of personality in it's best and worst light to promote a balanced view of all of them.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #40
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's not really a direct link.. it's an intuitive link made in regard to the systems results and the impact of them. If your going to make one particular facet most important then your partially saying that the rest of the test is a bit of a waste of time and in which case you should be looking at an IQ test and not a holistic test like this.
    Exactly right, hence use of the term "intelligence".

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Now if we rule out a facet such as BK intelligence, in all forms, then are we not prejudging the results? Similarly if we deliberately group all of classical intelligence into one element then are we not already saying something in regard to the values which we are applying to the test and hence slanting the results?
    I'm not ruling anything out, just not giving them equal weight. When creating an RPG character, does one always distribute all the points in all areas equally? Hell no, because some skills are more valuable than others. And when it comes to homo sapiens, B-K brings up the rear.

Similar Threads

  1. [E7] The Wisdom of the Enneagram Seven
    By Starry in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 717
    Last Post: 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM
  2. [Enne] If the Twenty Seven Subtypes Were Animals
    By Aurora James in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  3. The Magnificent Fe of Wally World!
    By Poindexter Arachnid in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM
  4. The New Seven Deadly Sins- Courtesy of the Pope - do you agree and what is your list?
    By Geoff in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
  5. [NT] Pattern formation and the INT
    By Veneti in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO