First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by logan235711 View Post
    i don't really think they are right, cause it would only be so if it encompassed all, so perhaps it might be arrogant/detrimental to think we have discovered every possible way of looking at people in the development of humanity at this point all ready. But that's not to say they might not be good starting points : )
    Exactly. That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean I like the theory but I'm dubious about it. Personally I think it requires a bit of disassembly and poking around before it's inner beauty or errors will become apparent.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Ah the age old argument of which is more impressive, the aircraft or the pilot, the gun or the shooter. Personally I have admiration for both. Besides don't you think that the person who got to the moon had high BK INT?
    Did you know the only reason they put flight controls on the early spacecraft is because the pilots objected?

They probably could've put coma patients on the moon.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Did you know the only reason they put flight controls on the early spacecraft is because the pilots objected?

They have put robotic landers, so yes, they could have put coma patients on the moon.

As for whether bodily/kinesthetic counts, it does take skill to control a body well, so when considering how a brain works and how it gets good at what it does, it should be included as a possible form on intelligence. (Being able to throw, catch, do backflips, juggle, etc. well is different from simply having lots of muscles and flexibility.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    They have put robotic landers, so yes, they could have put coma patients on the moon.

As for whether bodily/kinesthetic counts, it does take skill to control a body well, so when considering how a brain works and how it gets good at what it does, it should be included as a possible form on intelligence. (Being able to throw, catch, do backflips, juggle, etc. well is different from simply having lots of muscles and flexibility.)
    So is being able to bat .400 the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize for physics?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

They did but the video was crap so they did it again with people who were awake.
    So is being able to bat .400 the equivalent of winning a Nobel Prize for physics?
    Why not?

I can't hope to channel the full weight of my body into a punch but there are those with really high intelligence in BK who can. I'd imagine that all those little Shaolin kids are quite high in that score and such skill is deserving of as much respect as being able to figure out the square root of -1.

MBTI
    INTP

Sorry, I agree with MacGuffin. It seems to me that a bunch of touchy-feely psychologists got together at a World Self Esteem Promotion Convention and tried to think of enough strengths so that everyone would have some kind of high intelligence. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, there's no reason to pander to egos and call them 'intelligences'.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Sorry, I agree with MacGuffin. It seems to me that a bunch of touchy-feely psychologists got together at a World Self Esteem Promotion Convention and tried to think of enough strengths so that everyone would have some kind of high intelligence. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, there's no reason to pander to egos and call them 'intelligences'.
    What else do you call the mental ability to co-ordinate your actions and not theorise in a 3 dimensional environment but move in a 3 dimensional environment?

Basically what your saying is that concept is all that matters and reality (which is outside the head) is nothing to do with intelligence (which is inside the head). That's a classic viewpoint for the type's you are but that's not really true otherwise there would be no difference in how co-ordinated people are unless of course you think it's based on nerve response speeds or something.

I think that what their doing is defining intelligence as a measure of a particular capability of the brain. As the signals for moving your own body are processed in the brain (though there is argument about some sub brain in the spinal cord) then surely the relative strength and capability of a brain in that particular area can be expressed as intelligence.

If not then what is it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The one facet which I have problems envisaging is musical.

What use is musical intelligence other than within the tight field of music itself?

MBTI
    INFJ

I have not cared much for these seven. Or at least making them equal. Bodily-Kinesthetic makes it sound like a self-esteem exercise for jocks.

"You may not understand multiplication, but damn you sure are smart with your body!"

Whatever.

Logical-Mathematical gets us to the moon. Bodily-Kinesthetic is outdone by most animals. Not impressed.
    Bodily-Kinesthetic is an intelligence. As it says it is not just playing football (which actually does take skill and intelligence of a sort).

It also mentions sewing, woodworking, dancing, etc.

I have very little bodily-kinesthetic intelligence (I do score high on the ones you value such as Linguistics, Logical and Spatial) so I am not even espousing my views to defend myself.

There are so many kinds of intelligence. I cannot fix my car and my ex-husband can (he knows a lot about fixing/building - he teaches welding). Does that mean I am not intelligent? Of course not. He can rewire the electricity in his house (and other things along those lines).

I can write well. I have an ear for languages. I pick up certain things much faster than others. Does that mean I am more intelligent? Of course not.

It is being proven more and more that there is not only the different kinds intelligence that has been described but also there is emotional intelligence. Without a certain level of emotional intelligence, one can be a genius linguistically or otherwise and fail to achive.
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )

MBTI
    INFJ

They are different. One is not "better" than the other. Can you bat a .400 or juggle (or whatever you thing is inferiour to your superior intelligence) and if not, why? I mean, if it's so easy and all...
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )