• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes people "super-expose" their lives on social networks?

Rosabel

I see a lot of people having the need of:

- Saying every little thing that happens in their lives on FB;
- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quote and tag their bf/gf;
- Posting photos of every little thing of their day to day lives;
- Expressing opinions that doesn't even matter;

Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?

Last edited:

Little_Sticks

<--- Teehee, look at my title emoticon <---

It's probably part of being human and wanting to connect your experiences with another. In retrospect, a lot of it can seem stupid and shallow, but how many of those people really appreciate retrospecting anyway?

Burger King

Pss...I think people do it here too. ;)

Anyways, I have no problem with it. My only particular issue is the way people will go about it. If you're going to do that sort of thing, then BE ENTERTAINING! Don't be so boring and predictable. If you gonna go to da mall, wax me some poetry, keep the language and style interesting, at least try to catch my attention...I mean that's what you're going for in the first place.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quotes and tag their bf/gf;

Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?
I think people aren't always sure what to say on Facebook and so they copy what everyone else is doing. I have noticed some open sharing, but far more often people seem to quote those pictures that are quotes of some soundbite. I've often wished people would share more of their actual experience in that format, rather than seeing the same "joke" dozens of times. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with people trying to show their best traits in that semi-public format. If your best trait is exercising at the gym, then I can see why someone might share, if you record CDs, then it makes sense to tell people about that. Most people are trying to make some sort of progress - whether it is more success professionally, or finding a relationship, etc. Making efforts towards that using Facebook seems reasonable enough to me. I use one of my pages that way.

Rosabel

^This ( [MENTION=14531]Loki[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION]).

I have no problem with this in general. A big part of social networks are made for it!
But some people can't control and start being inconvenient, not entertaining and boring. It's easy to perceive (at least for me) when something doesn't attract others...

It's probably part of being human and wanting to connect your experiences with another. In retrospect, a lot of it can seem stupid and shallow, but how many of those people really appreciate retrospecting anyway?

I wonder.

(Cancelling some people feeds on FB is a good tool. It doesn't hurt, anyway.)

Permabanned

- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quotes and tag their bf/gf;

[MENTION=9273]Vasilisa[/MENTION] has posted about this here

ms.behaving

MBTI Type
eNFJ
Instinctual Variant
so
I defriended someone for making a rude comment about a picture of another friend in one of my albums. I tried to do damage control, it's just a shame when you can't trust your friends to be civilized. I deleted the comment and told her I was so sorry I have to pull the plug, but I can't have her doing that and causing problems.

This thread reminded me of that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I feel like lately I've been thrust more and more towards the conclusion that there's something fundamentally pathological about FB.

What I mean is, it encourages a kind of fucked up identity projection that allows one to objectify themselves. Something about that encourages delusional and odd attention seeking behaviors, and I really do think that rather than being an extension of people's real need for attention, social networks kind of create that need.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ that's disturbing.

There's all kinds of weird things happening in this digital age.

People actually have phantom phone vibrations because they're brain has a chemical reaction to it like a lab rat/ cheese experiment.

Its all very disturbing... And I'm a bit worried about what it's going to be like when the kids today are running shit. We're raising a bunch of entitled ADD kids.

They seriously don't know what to do if they are bored. Like they expect to be provided with entertainment constantly. You know what I did when I was a kid? I stared out the window in the car and thought thoughts.... Maybe pretend I was in a spaceship or something.

Kids now want to play on their ds or kindle or watch movies etc for a 20 min car ride.

Gimme a break!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh but to answer the question

I don't like it.

Intimacy should be shared irl with true close friends over wine or something... Not just putting it out there for the masses

I mean... For me

I don't relate to the compulsion to do so in such a public way.

I mean I have some major shit going on and I occasionally feel like having a tantrum about it but I would be so embarresed if it was publicly with people I wasn't quite intimate with.

Permabanned
Oh but to answer the question

I don't like it.

Intimacy should be shared irl with true close friends over wine or something... Not just putting it out there for the masses

I mean... For me

I don't relate to the compulsion to do so in such a public way.

I mean I have some major shit going on and I occasionally feel like having a tantrum about it but I would be so embarresed if it was publicly with people I wasn't quite intimate with.
Yeah, I share the sentiment. And even with close friends, I seldom disclose my thoughts recklessly.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For sure me too... About 95% of the time I just suffer in silence (ha so dramatic)

But occasionally when prodded ill have a lil mini rant... But quickly follow it up with but sigh... It's fine because I'm going to do this or that etc etc

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like lately I've been thrust more and more towards the conclusion that there's something fundamentally pathological about FB.

What I mean is, it encourages a kind of fucked up identity projection that allows one to objectify themselves. Something about that encourages delusional and odd attention seeking behaviors, and I really do think that rather than being an extension of people's real need for attention, social networks kind of create that need.

That's a pretty interesting perspective. I use FB mostly to post pictures like the old picture albums but you can share it with more people. Sometimes if there is a video that is really funny, I'll share that too.

Pss...I think people do it here too. ;)

Anyways, I have no problem with it. My only particular issue is the way people will go about it. If you're going to do that sort of thing, then BE ENTERTAINING! Don't be so boring and predictable. If you gonna go to da mall, wax me some poetry, keep the language and style interesting, at least try to catch my attention...I mean that's what you're going for in the first place.

Predictable can be funny but yes, I agree with "BE ENTERTAINING". There is nothing worse than hearing - "we're driving back from so and so" or "I just got out of my hot tub" or "I'm going to that same restaurant I've been to 100 times and am just letting you know."

wolfy

awsm

I see that more on here.

I don't mind if people post the odd vent, but it gets old fast and isn't something I do. I like facebook though, it provides an easy access to people back home in NZ. It is getting popular with people in Japan now, people mostly post pics of what they eat, things they went to,what they got up to. I like that sort of thing.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Omg I know!

And my sister posts seemingly everything she likes on pinterest to Facebook too.

You know there's an option not to do that. :/

Plus... I get notifications on my phone everytime she does it so sometimes it's like 14 things in a row and then I have those lil red numbers that I loathe and have to click on them to get it to go away!

wolfy

awsm
Omg I know!

And my sister posts seemingly everything she likes on pinterest to Facebook too.

You know there's an option not to do that. :/

Plus... I get notifications on my phone everytime she does it so sometimes it's like 14 things in a row and then I have those lil red numbers that I loathe and have to click on them to get it to go away!

Notifications can be annoying. A friend started a music thread and joined me in...I woke up to 76 emails.

Lark

- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quote and tag their bf/gf;

I dont think its any of those things.

Just one thing though, excluding all these points, including the most vaguely defined final point, what purpose does Face Book have? What would you use it for?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh shit that's the worst! I hate email notifications! I get a ridiculous amount of email as it is. I can't deal with all that.

I need some sort of reset button. I'm feeling cluttered. Too many sites and usernames and passwords to remember and emails, spam sent bs that needs to be deleted but I can only do it 50 at a time I gots no time for that and all the unnecessary bs on my computer... I need it gone and organized. I'm truly feeling overwhelmed.

Ha sorry for that^^ not sure why I'm sharing all of that boringness.