User Tag List

12311 Last

Default What makes people "super-expose" their lives on social networks?

I see a lot of people having the need of:

- Saying every little thing that happens in their lives on FB;
    - Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quote and tag their bf/gf;
    - Posting photos of every little thing of their day to day lives;
    - Expressing opinions that doesn't even matter;

Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?
    Last edited by Rosabel; 08-31-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Word correction

Red face <--- Teehee, look at my title emoticon <---

It's probably part of being human and wanting to connect your experiences with another. In retrospect, a lot of it can seem stupid and shallow, but how many of those people really appreciate retrospecting anyway?

Pss...I think people do it here too.

Anyways, I have no problem with it. My only particular issue is the way people will go about it. If you're going to do that sort of thing, then BE ENTERTAINING! Don't be so boring and predictable. If you gonna go to da mall, wax me some poetry, keep the language and style interesting, at least try to catch my attention...I mean that's what you're going for in the first place.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rosabel View Post

- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quotes and tag their bf/gf;

Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?
    I think people aren't always sure what to say on Facebook and so they copy what everyone else is doing. I have noticed some open sharing, but far more often people seem to quote those pictures that are quotes of some soundbite. I've often wished people would share more of their actual experience in that format, rather than seeing the same "joke" dozens of times. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with people trying to show their best traits in that semi-public format. If your best trait is exercising at the gym, then I can see why someone might share, if you record CDs, then it makes sense to tell people about that. Most people are trying to make some sort of progress - whether it is more success professionally, or finding a relationship, etc. Making efforts towards that using Facebook seems reasonable enough to me. I use one of my pages that way.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

^This ( @Loki and @fia).

I have no problem with this in general. A big part of social networks are made for it!
    But some people can't control and start being inconvenient, not entertaining and boring. It's easy to perceive (at least for me) when something doesn't attract others...

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    It's probably part of being human and wanting to connect your experiences with another. In retrospect, a lot of it can seem stupid and shallow, but how many of those people really appreciate retrospecting anyway?
    I wonder.

(Cancelling some people feeds on FB is a good tool. It doesn't hurt, anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosabel View Post

- Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quotes and tag their bf/gf;

@Vasilisa has posted about this here
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Interesting, I'll read.

MBTI
    eNFJ

I defriended someone for making a rude comment about a picture of another friend in one of my albums. I tried to do damage control, it's just a shame when you can't trust your friends to be civilized. I deleted the comment and told her I was so sorry I have to pull the plug, but I can't have her doing that and causing problems.

This thread reminded me of that.
    - MB

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I feel like lately I've been thrust more and more towards the conclusion that there's something fundamentally pathological about FB.

What I mean is, it encourages a kind of fucked up identity projection that allows one to objectify themselves. Something about that encourages delusional and odd attention seeking behaviors, and I really do think that rather than being an extension of people's real need for attention, social networks kind of create that need.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ that's disturbing.

There's all kinds of weird things happening in this digital age.

People actually have phantom phone vibrations because they're brain has a chemical reaction to it like a lab rat/ cheese experiment.

Its all very disturbing... And I'm a bit worried about what it's going to be like when the kids today are running shit. We're raising a bunch of entitled ADD kids.

They seriously don't know what to do if they are bored. Like they expect to be provided with entertainment constantly. You know what I did when I was a kid? I stared out the window in the car and thought thoughts.... Maybe pretend I was in a spaceship or something.

Kids now want to play on their ds or kindle or watch movies etc for a 20 min car ride.

Gimme a break!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison