User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    so i don't go postal and kill everyone i know. it's not about people caring
    I see so if you didn't have a blog you would go insane....interesting...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I have to confess that I'm responsible for that, moving the memes, I know that they bug the hell out of one IT professional I know who says that the web just generates these and they become traffic which over load websites and are like human generated virus.

I read some more interesting takes on them from an IT guru lately in a book entitled you are not a gadget or something like that, I sort of felt it regurgitated a lot of earlier ideas from other thinkers but they made the point that the internet has provided more means of expression than ever before but highlighted the fact that very few people have anything to say and that as a result people either circulate other peoples ideas because its easy or engage in mimicry.

There's just some of those things make me laugh or think and I share them because I hope others will have the same experience I did seeing them. Its become much more a feature of facebook now, infact I'd have said in the last three months than I've known it to be with people creating profiles which are just about a single issue or topic, almost like a blog or fan page.
    And I can understand why people like to quote those. I've quoted about one every few weeks. I have had one friend quote 48 in a row, but I think she was having some sort of issue that day. Often it is 90% or more of what I see, and then it does feel disappointing. I try to take a non-controlling position with people and just be happy with however they communicate, and so it doesn't bother me every time. I do like to get to know people better through that medium, and people sharing what they think, feel, and do individually is more helpful to that end. That is mostly what I was saying.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    And I can understand why people like to quote those. I've quoted about one every few weeks. I have had one friend quote 48 in a row, but I think she was having some sort of issue that day. Often it is 90% or more of what I see, and then it does feel disappointing. I try to take a non-controlling position with people and just be happy with however they communicate, and so it doesn't bother me every time. I do like to get to know people better through that medium, and people sharing what they think, feel, and do individually is more helpful to that end. That is mostly what I was saying.
    I have only two people on ignore/blocked on Facebook, I'd forgotten about this because it was so long ago but I figured it out lately when I found one of my friends having this strange one sided conversation and realised they were talking with a third party and I worked it out.

This individual had posted a lot of things which bothered me with the express purpose of bothering me, on certain topics, a little like what Aquarelle described a while back in her blog about people sharing political messages but this was less them being themselves and more them trying to stir up a row with me. Couldnt figure why but they cornered me over my opinions and I told them exactly how I felt only to try and rally mutual friend contacts with the idea of excluding me from everyones lists, I thought it was a bit childish, they may not be in their thirties like me but they're in their twenties at least. I ignored it but didnt do anything about it until they posted some stuff on my own newsfeed which is viewable by work friends and acquaintences, I've no one from management or that I dont trust entirely on my friendslist but all the same it overstepped a mark so I barred them.

The second was an individual who was making A LOT of ill advised decisions about adding, simultaneously as it happened, senior staff or managers to their friendslist and members of the public who were known to our service or former clients of the service, no boundaries, and I was aware that one or two of them by virtue of this arrangment were viewing my profile. Which I didnt want. Not for any impropriety on my part but if you're sharing your interest in going to see a film, which can then be used as a locater, or when you're not going to be at home its best not to provide that information to people other than friends. When seniors pulled this individual up on their behaviour they told me that the bosses were going to compell everyone to wipe all online prescence, I thought the hell they are, maybe if people are acting nutsy and with no thought for boundaries but not individuals like myself and removed and blocked them. To their knowledge I now dont have a profile.

Sharing quotes and stuff is fine but I've subscribed to three of those sorts of profiles only because I imagine it would require a lot of super administrating to ensure you'd even see the updates from the core of friends you want to hear from otherwise. I'm probably the more prolific sharer and poster in my circle so its not too bad.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rosabel View Post
    Attention-whoring? Ego-feeding? The need of feeling important (the 15 minutes of fame)? What kind of psychological need causes this?
    Attention whores yes, but approval-seekers perhaps more so. Approval is like a drug that helps mitigate any feelings of rejection or humiliation one might have floating about the psyche, so naturally it's addictive.

As far as addictions go it's pretty innocuous, though personally I don't like looking at it.

Whoa, discussion got a little bit more serious than I thought it would...

I just want to say few more things: I really like social networks, I love seeing what's happening to in the life of my friends and acquaitances, remain in contact with them, see the things people have accomplished and done, sharing things, liking status and being vitually social too. I find it's funny.

When I find some people feeds "annoying", I just cancel their signature, easy.

In the OP, maybe I didn't explain clearly, I was questioning about some behavior that not only me, but other friends of mine find "annoying" not in the sense of causing "bad feelings" to us, but in the sense of a repetition of some behaviour, like many times a day people sharing that they are sad, then many people asking why and the poster saying "no, I won't say", or sharing about the same subject second to second (obssessively, I'm not talking about people that post and share varied things freely) even if no one like their posts or comment (even the people they tag). I find it sad to them, in some ways, and was thinking about their motives. There aren't rules, and who am I to say people what to do or not? People post on social networks what they want!
    I was just thinking about as I said: their motives. Just that...
    Last edited by Rosabel; 09-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.

As children we say quite naturally, "Look at me", as we do something new. And if our parents are able to empathise with us, our narcissistic needs are met. But if our parents are unable to empathise with us, because their own needs weren't met, we then take our unmet needs for empathy into adulthood and are constantly seeking narcissistic supply.

And so we come to social media like Central wanting the empathy we were denied as a child.

So the tragedy of social networking is that we are all looking for the validation given by empathy from the very ones unable to give it.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This thread sums up all the reasons I refuse to ever have a Facebook account.

Seems like an immense waste of time & potential for a lot of needless bs.

I deal with enough social turmoil offline as it is, so.. no thanks.

The people who count at all know how to contact me, that's all that matters.

As for motives for the phenomenon of over exposure in terms of moment-to-moment activities.. some people just like to hear themselves speak, I think. Or feel obligated to partake in an activity they see others doing. Occasionally it might be funny [BEE IN MY ROOM!], but usually it's boring and pointless. Some people like to bitch about life just for the sake of bitching & will use any outlet to do so. They don't necessarily want anything but for others to see it &/or say something kind to them. While I can't fault anyone for that, I find that behavior exhausting to deal with, let alone read in vague eruptions of random commentary.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I mostly use my FB account as an easy way of contacting me. With one or two exceptions, I've never really added anyone myself - it happened the other way around. Admittedly, the whole "employer paranoia" thing is part of it.

Plus, I'm afraid of ending up in a White Whine entry.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Desperate need for attention they never got from Momsie or Dadsie.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Narcissism.

I think that will end up being the word for the first part of this century.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com