User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I almost think it's an addiction. That little bit of attention and exciting social connection that they once had on facebook totally inundated the dopamine receptors and now no matter how many posts they make with no responses, they just can't stop. It's healthier than meth at least.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned

It's lame I hate it too but we live in an age where everything is exposed and nothing is appreciated or special anymore. It's technology. I've noticed society increasingly become more "bland" and "zombie like" over the years as a child growing up in the 90's. Society has become much more materialistic we are depending on technology much more than we used to to survive.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I almost think it's an addiction. That little bit of attention and exciting social connection that they once had on facebook totally inundated the dopamine receptors and now no matter how many posts they make with no responses, they just can't stop. It's healthier than meth at least.
    I know your post is just the tip of the iceberg in this thread but I had to quote something. I have an ISFP friend who uses FB to tell the whole wide world in the most negative ways possible about the latest revelation embraced with great passion. I've been at my wits end to try to understand if it's a real ISFP personality thing, a shadow side coming to the fore, or simply effing Facebook. On Facebook you sort of feel king of the castle and nobody can take it away from you.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Actually, that's not my dog.
    No shit

Personally I think this would have worked even better...

Right now, I'm sitting in front of my computer but am kind of bored. I just had an avocado sandwich. I'm thinking about taking a nap. I will probably do that soon. We're going out to a restaurant tonight and to play bocci ball so that will be fun. It was raining most of the day but seems to have stopped. I just bought some camping chairs and they're really great. Here's my dog. So cute isn't it?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I also think that people are more isolated now than ever before. We have a longer history of living within a small tribe for generations. Now we move about in a society larger than our comprehension. Most friendships and even relationships are fleeting for many. People stop talking to their families, and older people never hear from their children. People are vulnerable to buy the latest product to make them sexy so people will gravitate towards them, they sign up for seminars on how to win at business and love, TV preachers with unconvincing tears manipulate spiritual motivations, and all the while we drive faster and faster cars. I think a continual sense of existential isolation underlies our living and people's attempts to connect are often the social equivalent of the nutritional benefits of french fries.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

What are the rules about exposing yourself on facebook?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I also think that people are more isolated now than ever before. We have a longer history of living within a small tribe for generations. Now we move about in a society larger than our comprehension. Most friendships and even relationships are fleeting for many. People stop talking to their families, and older people never hear from their children. People are vulnerable to buy the latest product to make them sexy so people will gravitate towards them, they sign up for seminars on how to win at business and love, TV preachers with unconvincing tears manipulate spiritual motivations, and all the while we drive faster and faster cars. I think a continual sense of existential isolation underlies our living and people's attempts to connect are often the social equivalent of the nutritional benefits of french fries.
    ^ This so perfectly sums up the social malaise which I think has cursed post-scarcity western life, its after taste is a mix of alienation and misanthropy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Just one thing though, excluding all these points, including the most vaguely defined final point, what purpose does Face Book have? What would you use it for?
    Well, I like to use it to communicate with distant friends/ family members on the chat (people stopped using IM so hard that when I log in I feel like walking into a graveyard), receiving feeds about things I like, sharing some things I find interesting, this kind of thing. On my FB people will hardly find some info about my private life (including uninteresting details).

---------------

And then, a bad use of FB may cause some polemic behaviour as this:

Caused mainly by a (immature) teenager venting about her family publicly, exposing very unnecessary things.

Glycerine

I used to be rather obnoxious on FB but I don't do much on there anymore (I will post a random philosophical thought every once in awhile). It seems like most of my FB friends are actually getting tired of FB and don't post much other than song lyrics, pictures of memes, or crap about some political agenda... it's kinda interesting. Also, many of them seem to have themes: other people's idiocy, anything dog related, their infant son, school.

I could see how the validation thing rings true. Whenever the girl who was known as the "prettiest girl in high school" (she actually is really pretty) posts a picture of herself on FB, she typically gets 30+ likes and a few comments about how pretty/beautiful she is or she posts a status (which is almost always a song lyric), she gets 20-50+ likes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

- Saying every little thing that happens in their lives on FB;
    Boredom.
    - Sharing every mellow picture with a "romantic" quote and tag their bf/gf;
    The need to go full retard. Manifests in different ways and frequencies, and don't fool yourself - it exists in every human.
    - Posting photos of every little thing of their day to day lives;
    Boredom.
    - Expressing opinions that doesn't even matter;
    Boredom + need to have an identity + desire to bond with people who share the same opinions.