User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Suffering: Why Does It Entertain You?

Why would you ever want to watch Man On Fire?
    Or Taken?
    I Am Legend? Bourne series?

How about zombie movies. Or Batman. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Silence of the Lambs.

Please note that "It's not real" and "It's fiction" are not acceptable answers because this describes the media, not your motivation to watch it.

Why do these entertain you?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Roller coasters
    Fast cars/motorcycles
    Sky diving

Controlled chaos leads to limited fear. People like to test the edge of their fear response.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I have an imagination.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Who says it's the suffering itself that is entertaining?

To me, suffering -> spritual enlightenment and is a natural part of the growth process of human beings (just as adversity tends to encourage growth in any kind of living creature, if the adversity isn't strong enough to destroy it ... just as assuredly as we build muscle strength by straining the muscle tissues within reasonable limits and having it reweave into a stronger configuration).

So why are you interpreting all of these things as being obsessed with suffering as the focal point? Suffering is something that occurs during challenges and growth.

(This also allows us the ability to distinguish between suffering that seems like it could produce positive strength and change, vs shows that seems to focus purely on suffering without any positive outcome.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

what's with all these threads lately that assume everyone derives enjoyment from the misfortune of others?
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

WALMART

I believe George Romero once said humans enjoy witnessing the fraility of their condition.

Always seemed a good answer, to me.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I like the adventure of it.

Stuff like the Saw movies... I don't like. I am actually disgusted that people watch movies like that and don't feel anything.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Who says it's the suffering itself that is entertaining?

To me, suffering -> spritual enlightenment and is a natural part of the growth process of human beings (just as adversity tends to encourage growth in any kind of living creature, if the adversity isn't strong enough to destroy it ... just as assuredly as we build muscle strength by straining the muscle tissues within reasonable limits and having it reweave into a stronger configuration).

So why are you interpreting all of these things as being obsessed with suffering as the focal point? Suffering is something that occurs during challenges and growth.

(This also allows us the ability to distinguish between suffering that seems like it could produce positive strength and change, vs shows that seems to focus purely on suffering without any positive outcome.)
    Yes. I somehow doubt most people are considering this, though. Also in the sense of enlightenment, suffering refers more to existential suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    what's with all these threads lately that assume everyone derives enjoyment from the misfortune of others?
    So we don't derive enjoyment from the suffering of others. It's just a component in the recipe.

Can't have an omelette without breaking some eggs, right?

So, the question becomes: why must we contrive things that necessarily involve suffering - as in people being shot, blown up, chopped up - just because it lends itself to some kind of something, be it heroism or a good ending?

Also note that I'm not judging this. It's a simple question. I can ask a question without being all caught up in it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I believe George Romero once said humans enjoy witnessing the fraility of their condition.

Always seemed a good answer, to me.
    Yes, that seems like a good hypothesis.

MBTI
    INFJ

Also, the reason I made this thread is to demonstrate that arbitrary equivocations based on some personal moral imperative or experience are not always cool.

Just to let you know that I'm not seriously considering the idea that people in general actually enjoy suffering when they watch movies.

The whole thing was designed around a flawed premise, intentionally, so that you feel the effects of that premise rather than me just telling you with disconnected words.