User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I've noticed this in gaming communities where I've had the interesting perspective of being on both sides of a fence and watch the criticisms that pass over it.

There's mature and calm people on the violent gaming side, absolutely. And they are usually adults with families and a job and such. But there's a lot of young people that love to spew vitriol, especially at the non-violent gamers, like "that game is fucking gay! why would you play it?"

Interestingly it doesn't usually go the other way over the fence, unless it's from people who play both sides but tend to the violent side.
    There definitely are people who cant contain their aggression and playing at imaginary aggression stokes them up, definitely, I hate that when I see it BTW, the use of the word "gay" in that prejorative sense and the association of non-aggressive gaming or pass times with homosexuality.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There definitely are people who cant contain their aggression and playing at imaginary aggression stokes them up, definitely, I hate that when I see it BTW, the use of the word "gay" in that prejorative sense and the association of non-aggressive gaming or pass times with homosexuality.
    This is why I preferred to play on clean servers or even Christian servers because they don't tolerate that mess. Some people found it ironic but there seemed to be a universal rule of 'let the real be real and keep the conflict in the game' which makes sense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Why would you ever want to watch Man On Fire?
    Or Taken?
    I Am Legend? Bourne series?

How about zombie movies. Or Batman. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Silence of the Lambs.

Please note that "It's not real" and "It's fiction" are not acceptable answers because this describes the media, not your motivation to watch it.

Why do these entertain you?
    Suffering does not entertain mein the least.

I do like the Bourne movies. Is that suffering? I think it is more like conquering.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know, please don't stare at me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Suffering doesn't appeal. The underdog does.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

It doesn't always, and when it does... I really don't know why.

I have an obsession with pain and fear. It's a natural part of life and it is ... dark. Dark things draw me in because I want to understand them, embrace them, and overcome them. I want them to be a part of me; probably because a lot about human nature almost requires an appreciation of it in order to truly overcome it. It's like the difference between seeking understanding from someone that has never experienced your type of situation and someone that has. Is experiencing what the other experiences what it really means for two people to understand each other?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Suffering doesn't appeal. The underdog does.
    agreed or no both for me
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

I spent a lot of last night blowing up cars and civilians with a rocket launcher in Saints Row 2. So, not only did I watch suffering, I simulated acting it out myself.

In this case, however, it's the sheer exaggerated ridiculousness that gets me hooked--the explosions could be replaced with confetti streamers and the people with literal ragdolls and I'd get the same joy out of it.

However, to the extent that actual human suffering entertains, it's because it's fiction. Screw it; that's the answer.

To elaborate, it's a way to explore a side of the world that we don't normally 'get' to see or understand, but in a controlled environment. It's 'scary material,' but it's of little consequence.

Glycerine

Why do people watch stuff from bestgore.com, fear.com (real depictions of suffering)? It's the same thing. People are fascinated (and usually disturbed). It's psychological. It's kinda fascinating to see how depraved people can actually get (real or fiction) and feeds on our fear but at the same time, we are safe from a distance as a spectator. *I don't watch stuff from those sites because I would be scarred for life but I can see the appeal.... one of the sites supposedly had the video of the victim that Luka Magnotta killed...ick. I guess in this instance, entertaining wouldn't be the right word unless you're sick in the sick.
    Entertain=/= fascinate/intrigue. Entertain is "to provide amusement".

But for the fiction... anything goes in the imagination... but a lot of it is somehow based in reality. Fiction entertains because it's not real.