User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default Why do suicides affect me more than mass murders?

When I hear about suicides, I just can't process it. I guess it never is meant for me to process, kind of arrogant of me to think so, but I can't help it. It's just too much...like if the guy saw no hope for anything...why would I? Maybe I don't...

But mass murder, that's just life, stupid people do stupid things...and people aren't invalid...so sometimes people will suffer because of those stupid people...but that's just life.

Suicide is just so sad.

MBTI
    INTj

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." Stalin
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

I think it hits harder because there always seems to be a tiny glimmer of hope that you can reason with a suicidal person. If only you could talk them down from the proverbial ledge, you know?

Do you feel for those left behind? In conjunction with what @93JC said, is it because you sense the enormity of mental pain of both the dead escaped and the living enter into? Is it the sad seperation that the dead person must have felt during his or her life married to the real seperation created for those surviving ever after? You can imagine a whole villiage decimated, but perhaps you can settle it in your mind that at least they are together, that kind of thing?

These are things I feel. Two sides of a coin.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's because your fear (of mental illness and personal disintegration) trumps your compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Maybe because you think that if only ... whatever ... was done or said, their lives could have been different or at least tolerable.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    When I hear about suicides, I just can't process it. I guess it never is meant for me to process, kind of arrogant of me to think so, but I can't help it. It's just too much...like if the guy saw no hope for anything...why would I? Maybe I don't...

But mass murder, that's just life, stupid people do stupid things...and people aren't invalid...so sometimes people will suffer because of those stupid people...but that's just life.

Suicide is just so sad.
    There are people with severe mental illness where suicide is justified I suppose. I knew someone with full blown schizophrenia it was sad because he was really young just starting out his life. He would tell me about the things he would see or is seeing and there is just no answer you could give to someone like that that would change anything.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post

Suicide is just so sad.
    Are you saying that the mindset of a person who commits mass murder is more understandable than the mindset of a person who commits suicide ("stupid people do stupid things")? Or that the deaths of the various mass murder victims are less tragic than the death of a person who commits suicide?

I'm not disagreeing; I'm just not sure exactly where you're putting the focus when you talk about understanding and accepting "mass murders."

[Edit: It's a minor point, but I bumped up against it when I started playing with the idea.]

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

You're more likely to kill yourself than to kill others. Relatable.
    ( . )( . )

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You're more likely to kill yourself than to kill others. Relatable.
    At least in today's society. I always wondered up until modern civilization things like rape and murder were probably considered normal.