• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

June Book-Club:On Becoming a Person

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i picked up the book today at the library, i am currently on page 34. =)

ygolo

My termites win
I ordered mine on Amazon. It seemed like one I would want to keep.

Do you think everyone will get it by the start of June?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
well i guess it depends, if not i guess it will just be you and i discussing the book! haha

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I borrowed this before but only read part of it. It's not bad but I was too busy to read it. There were a few interesting points, but there's a lot to go through. Maybe I should pick it up again?

ygolo

My termites win
Sure.

It is the book that best explains the ideas behind the current state of American psychotherapy (and possibly the west in general).

The ideas of self-psychology (self-esteem, self-actualization, self-<>) are espoused in this book. Maslow and other humanist/existentialist psychologists are who Rogers identified with.

Whether or not you agree with him, the influence of Rogers on the U.S. in particular is clear.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finances are low but I will look around for it (libe or cheap online).

ygolo

My termites win
I've found being a community borrower at the local University gives me access to a lot more books than I would have had otherwise.

Perhaps there is a University near by?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've found being a community borrower at the local University gives me access to a lot more books than I would have had otherwise. Perhaps there is a University near by?

hmm.... no big U but there's local community colleges that are popular, that might be an idea. :)

(We have little branch libraries but the selection is a little sporadic.)

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
hmm.... no big U but there's local community colleges that are popular, that might be an idea. :)

(We have little branch libraries but the selection is a little sporadic.)

Our city library system is connected to many other community and college libraries. Maybe yours is, too. Our borrowing system is called Link+.

Jae Rae

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have found a copy on amazon for four dollars so I've ordered that.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
So who has gotten the book?

So who has gotten the book?

I got mine.

I was thinking we could do parts 1-3 on week 1, parts 4-5 on week two, parts 6-7 on week 3, and reserve the last week for general discussion?

How does that sound?

ygolo

My termites win
How's the reading?

I thought I would check to see how many people are still involved?

Is the pace too slow, too fast?

What are your thoughts on Rogers, his "process" or the central hypothesis that informs his process?

What stage would you consider yourself in terms of "becoming a person?"

How deeply do you think his work affected the U.S. culture?

Should we post our own notes on what we read so far?

ygolo

My termites win
How about we make this the June/July book?

I personally only got through Chapter 8, so far.

Are there other members who have gotten this book?

I was starting to feel like I was reading by myself, and kinda lost some motivation.

It is interesting material, however I find that the book is VERY repetitive. He adds a few details, or a different facet, every time he re-introduces his process and "being a process," "being complexity," etc.

It is clear to me that Rogers optimizes the modern American psychotherapy view point. To feel ones feelings, be comfortable expressing them, and to not have "oughts" (or "shoulds" as my counselor used to say).

Incidentally, I would type Rogers as an INFP. Seems very much like an FP of some sort (though perhaps it is because of the viewpoint he is expressing seems to optimize Fi). He has an abstract style of writing (though that could be because he is describing research). The description of his childhood indicated to me an IP of sorts (thought that may be small "scientific" farm life).

Anyway, the main question I am asking is:
Anyone else reading this book?

If so, let's make it July as well. I had a bit too much going on in June.

jungie

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'd love to join in but only found the thread today and wont be back home for another few weeks so I might wait and join in in July/August.
But I'm interested! Always wanted to be in an interesting book club :)

ygolo

My termites win
Well we can make it "summer" instead.

This was not meant to be a stressful thing. So I don't want to rush anyone who have trouble obtaining the book, or finding time to read, etc.

Just interested parties who have all read the same book.