User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you reject the most?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Someone forcing me into a physical experience.

17 73.91%
  • Someone forcing me into a change of idea.

6 26.09%
123 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Which Do You Reject Most?

You can choose to read this OP, but then you should quickly go to post #25, then you can read the other posts in the thread.

A. Someone pushing you past a physical boundary.

or

B. Someone pushing you past a mental boundary.

Alright. Explanation.

The first is someone forcing you into a physical experience that you do not wish to do, and the second is a person forcing you into an idea that you do not wish to entertain.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Physical. I can stop someone from forcing an idea on me more than I can someone forcing themselves physically onto me.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Physical, of course.

I am relatively weak and could not hope to defend myself physically. Mentally, at least I've got a shot.
    ( . )( . )

Physical.. the mental is usually fun to entertain at least. If someone is trying to force me physically, then it's pretty odd.. I'll usually do enough on my own, so someone pushing me is too arrogant or stupid to know my or their limits. Like a driver mocking me if I think he's out of control. I know when things are going wrong, physically. I could imagine I wouldn't fare well under military heirarchy too. Some people are pushed to completing missions in the least efficient ways. And they indoctrinate the average solider to believe it's a whole rite of passage or it'd make them a man or hero if they walked through hell. Then they all get killed. More than likely, I'd be court marshalled for going AWOL long before that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

My answer could be either based on the context. Why do all of these polls assume one or the other is true in all situations?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

if someone forces me to do either, I'm going to break them
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    A. Someone pushing you past a physical boundary.

or

B. Someone pushing you past a mental boundary.

Alright. Explanation.

The first is someone forcing you into a physical experience that you do not wish to do, and the second is a person forcing you into an idea that you do not wish to entertain.
    The first would be some sort of assault or torture. The second sounds either impossible or trivial.

So clearly the first would be more objectionable.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Mental is far worse. It's the difference between psychological torture and physical torture...of course you'd prefer neither, but if you're forced to cede control of one of those things, I'd rather hang on to my mind.

Also, even in a more ordinary sense, psychological coercion is much more detestable to me than physical coercion, which is also quite despicable but far less sly and insidious. Plus, a lot of acts of physical coercion are bad more because of their mental effects than lasting physical damage.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Either I'm not understanding correctly or everyone else has failed to properly interpret what "force me into a change of ideas" means. I mean, first of all it would make most sense to assume that the options in the poll are supposed to be of comparable severity, right? Otherwise the question would make as much sense as asking "would you rather be given a rose, or would you rather lick scum off of the ground?"

So, assuming that the question is not stupid, that rules out any notions that "forcing into a physical experience" means "get your ass beat" (or the like) and "forcing into a change of ideas" means something like someone shrilly yelling "you will read Hegel and you will like it! Now!" The latter, in physical terms, might be more equivalent to "getting your shoulder nudged in a rude fashion."

Now I'm going to assume also that the question is referring to the most severe forms of each of these, because otherwise the question would be boring and lead to more wishy-washy answers. That's a little less solid of an assumption, though, so if the OP wants to clarify on that point that would be great. Anyway, so the most severe forms of "forcing you into a physical experience that you don't want to do" would involve bodily harm, up to and including death, right? So that would mean that to maintain equivalence between the two poll options, "forcing you into an idea you do not wish to entertain" would involve mental harm, up to and including psychic death or identity erasure, right?

If I'm right, then, and I'm not misunderstanding things dreadfully, then I think this should be made clear in the OP so as to produce better results and discussion.

/bored and restless
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ

The first would probably be used to achieve the second, so.... I don't know. Both?