• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Do You Reject Most?

Which do you reject the most?

• Total voters

Within

Permabanned
Orwell chuckles at the poll, and the op. Which is strange seeing how they're explained ain't interconnected.

If the thought police is pointing a gun against my head, rape seems like the more reasonable offer. My anus will recover where my brain won't.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, so when I read the questions, my initial reaction on what I'd reject more was forcing a change of idea, so that's how I voted.

Now that I've skimmed the rest of the thread... have to say, when I read 'forcing into a physical experience' I didn't want to do, my mind didn't even go in the direction of torture/rape/etc. I guess I was thinking more generally, more benignly.

I was thinking of an ex-boyfriend I had a long while ago, and some of his subtle manipulations. I even hate to use the word manipulation to characterize it, because he may not have been doing it with intent; it just came across that way to me, so that's how I'm describing it. I just constantly felt like he was trying to change my inner workings, my core self, that I was really flawed in some core sense. It was extremely disconcerting and stressful; really made me question myself and enter a full state of self-doubt. On the other hand, any new 'physical experiences'... whether it be go to a restaurant I wasn't really that keen on, or do something else more sensory-related-uncomfortable, wasn't disconcerting to my core self, in the same way. I didn't bristle and 'reject' in the same almost raw/protective sense.

Ok, so when I read the questions, my initial reaction on what I'd reject more was forcing a change of idea, so that's how I voted.

Now that I've skimmed the rest of the thread... have to say, when I read 'forcing into a physical experience' I didn't want to do, my mind didn't even go in the direction of torture/rape/etc. I guess I was thinking more generally, more benignly.

All this, exactly. Feel the same way too. I'd rather be forced to try a new physical experience I'm unwilling to engage in than be browbeaten into changing an opinion. Of course, neither is pleasant but if push came to shove, that's what I would choose.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Well, with all these first posts in mind, I suppose I can say that I did mean peer pressure. I couldn't think of how to word it.

With this in mind, I was approaching the idea as:

1. The first as someone making you bungee-jump, smoke pot, drink, sexual experience... Of course it is not that they do, their tactic is to pressure mentally. Yes it is still mental, but it isn't a change in perspective.

2. Wherein this second is trying to get you to shift into an unwanted perspective. (like a change in religious view)

Oh, and for those who don't like the mutual exclusion. I wouldn't get anywhere if I added the "sometimes". Comb through your life and search for the greatest trend.

KDude

1. The first as someone making you bungy-jump, smoke pot, drink, sexual experience... Of course it is not that they do, there tactic is to bully mentally. Yes it is still mental, but it isn't a change in perspective.

I've done those things willingly. More or less. Not my idea of physical bullying. Physical bullying is like... being locked into a shed with a psychotic ex-convict, who seems to just want a "friend" to rant to.. and you're like "Ooookkay dude.. wtf? Nice story. Gotta go".. but he blocks the door and rants more, and gets buthhurt about your discomfort. Then you start thinking if it's just some bad joke, or if you should grab one of the tools and stab him.

G

garbage

1. The first as someone making you bungee-jump, smoke pot, drink, sexual experience... Of course it is not that they do, their tactic is to pressure mentally. Yes it is still mental, but it isn't a change in perspective.

2. Wherein this second is trying to get you to shift into an unwanted perspective. (like a change in religious view)
For me.. I prefer pressure into an unwanted perspective, man. I come across or even actively seek out ideas that I end up accepting or rejecting (either immediately or after some deliberation) all the time anyway.

edit: dammit, I answered the opposite question. I'd reject 1 more than 2.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, with all these first posts in mind, I suppose I can say that I did mean peer pressure. I couldn't think of how to word it.

Oh, and for those who don't like the mutual exclusion. I wouldn't get anywhere if I added the "sometimes". Comb through your life and search for the greatest trend.

In that case...

If I have to pick one, I think I'd reject the second one the most.

Neither of these should be forced but I think perspective changes are potentially more far reaching in most cases. For certain specific instances I'd probably reject 1 over 2, but there are probably more possible instances where I'd reject 2 before 1.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It is far easier (and safer) for me to entertain an unwanted perspective than an unwelcome physical experience. If I reject it after trying it out, there is less risk of harm done.

F

figsfiggyfigs

The first would be some sort of assault or torture. The second sounds either impossible or trivial.

So clearly the first would be more objectionable.

^

Depending on the context. I believe it is more likely I'll reject something physically forced on me, than a psychological one. Severity of scenarios are to be weighed.

Permabanned
I can entertain new ideas and perspectives even if unwanted ones. I'd say in the end it'll depend on the nature of each, but on a more purely raw instinctive side, physical activities are the only ones that can violate my physical integrity, so fuck that.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First, no one has a right to force their opinion on you.

If a dude were to attempt to physically force me to do something, were it not in joking, 'the mouse probably becomes the cat' so to speak. Lol.

Mentally, I feel relaxed about this and, if I'm not bored with their antics I might argue them if I feel big enough of a challenge. Just sayin.

I don't think there's a 'reject one more than the other' thing going on. Rather, it would depend on the challenge vs. the impact.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel more confident and at home in the world of ideas, so to entertain a new idea is comfortable and I will change my ideas when confronted with better information. In the past I have been molded into idea systems that I later found to be wrong, and that experience had a more profound effect on me than being coerced into physical experiences I later rejected. Unfamiliar sensory experience can leave me feeling a loss of control. It is hard to vote because more often the coercion into a physical scenario I reject makes me feel an immediate loss of control, but coercion in idea space has a deeper overall effect on my life if it manages to succeed.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both are terrifying. I'm not sure against which of these two things I can better defend myself. I'm also not sure which would affect me more. Therefore, an answer is difficult.

I'm stubborn as fuck, so I think I have a better chance of defending myself against an idea that I do not wish to entertain. However, I think my capability of handling physical pain might be a bit stronger than handling emotional pain. I can hold in the tears if I'm injured, but I can't do it if I am upset.

I have this huge problem about not wanting to be physically weak, so I'd say that pushing me past a physical boundary would affect my mind horribly. Then again, if I'm pushed past a mental boundary, then I start feeling physically ill.

However, after contemplation, I would probably say that being pushed past a mental boundary is worse. I can separate myself from my body a lot easier than I can separate myself from my mind.