• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Planting False Memories: Case Histories, Lawsuits, and Theories

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is what happens in dogged pursuit of 'right' and 'justice'.

At a certain level it creates divisions and everyone gets harmed, including the bystanders and victims.

For example they take a child who doesn't know what is going on and start asking them questions, like "did so and so hurt you" and the child is just uncomfortable because it's really weird to be asked those questions for no apparent reason. The interviewers take this discomfort as hiding or repressing some form of abuse, and they persist, and persist, trying to get a 'truth' that they are already looking for which in some cases isn't even there.

Honestly, people who constantly look for wrong are either going to find it, or cause it.

Yeah. I mean, everyone wants children to be safe from those who might abuse or have abused them. But the methods used with impressionable kids with the imbalance of power and maturity can result in some pretty twisted outcomes all on their own.

There is a division between tradition and innovation, I do reject innovation if I think it threatens what I see tradition as having served, often in an unacknowledged and "anonymous" way, not because it is simply contra tradition. I also use that word tradition in a sociological or normative sense, not in an ideological, identity or prefabricated way.

I haven't been able to discern how innovations aren't serving the same traditions in some of the positions you resist, and if the innovations are serving in the same way sociologically rather than ideologically, I'm not sure what your argument with them is sometimes except simple personal distaste. But I appreciate you sharing your criteria here, and I will take that into account when trying to understand your positions in the future.

I don't know if this involved planting memories, but it does involve one of the most horrific abuses by state employees of all time.

It's quite the horrific nightmare, and so silly. If you sit children down for a long period of time, disrupting their lives, separating them from their caregivers, and keep hounding them with the same questions for hours and days on end, isn't it obvious that any result you get from them will be useless as far as testimony goes, because they'll say anything to get out of a painful/traumatic situation?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What ever happened to the "children never lie" myth? Is that one still going?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ha ha ha ha! Whoever said that never had kids.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Prosecutors who put kids on the witness stand, kids who don't even know what taking an oath entails, are the worst.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
... If you sit children down for a long period of time, disrupting their lives, separating them from their caregivers, and keep hounding them with the same questions for hours and days on end, isn't it obvious that any result you get from them will be useless as far as testimony goes, because they'll say anything to get out of a painful/traumatic situation?

Indeed. As in the shameful Scottish case discussed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ronaldsay_child_abuse_scandal

Extract: "One of the children later said of the interviews: In order to get out of a room, after an hour or so of saying, "No, this never happened", you'd break down.

One of the children, later said: "I would never say that a child's testimony in the company of Liz McLean at the time [is reliable]. She was a very manipulative woman, and she would write what she wanted to write. I would doubt any child supposedly making allegations in that situation."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chances are that there is some lurker on this thread who thinks we are all devil worshippers here. Because - you know - we disagreed with that person about children never lying and stuff. [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] asked for proof of devil worshippers. Well, here it is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chances are that there is some lurker on this thread who thinks we are all devil worshippers here. Because - you know - we disagreed with that person about children never lying and stuff. Jennifer asked for proof of devil worshippers. Well, here it is.

All hail our lord and master Azeroth! He will reward you mightily for your numerous desecrations!

(As a weird side note, one of my favorite X-Files was Die Hand Die Verletzt, which briefly explores these issues... except as an ironic twist, the forces of evil actually do become involved even as the repressed memory thing turns out to be a crock.)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ha ha ha ha! Whoever said that never had kids.
I am reminded of that time in Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin said he thought that the people who get sentimental about childhood must not have ever been children.